Question: Screen Burn-in

DJPellegrino

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible or probable that the Galaxy S phone line (Super Amoled), and more specifically the Epic 4G can suffer from screen burn-in? I ask, because when I have the Epic 4G in the dock, the screen does not go blank at all. Then when I do blank it before going to bed, I return in the morning to find the pop-up message indicating the battery is fully charged and to remove the device from the cradle. I don't know how long it is on like that, but am concerned about screen burn-in on this device. What are your thoughts?

scottresnik

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I had the desktop dock app and it keeps the current time on the screen in large type, and I noticed today reading an email that those numbers are in fact burnt into the screen... Looks like I'm going to exchange my phone at sprint and hope I don't get a refurb with the same problem.

ShaLea

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I had the desktop dock app and it keeps the current time on the screen in large type, and I noticed today reading an email that those numbers are in fact burnt into the screen... Looks like I'm going to exchange my phone at sprint and hope I don't get a refurb with the same problem.

Are you talking about the widgets? because i have a digital clock widget, but hopes this isn't happening to my phone as well.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes, when I had the Epic, I didn't want to use the desktop clock because I feared screen burn-in. Looks like I was right about it.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Well if you read the thread it doesn't appear to be "burn in" with what that guy said. Makes sense that it's the led burning out.

I didn't take it would do that so soon. If he's right it's only noticeable because the background of the desktop dock app is black and not using any leds.

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
A standard lcd screen uses a backlight behind the pixel cells. The cells don't emit any light themselves. Hence they are not prone to burn in because the cells don't get weaker over time with use.

In oled screens, much like plasma screens, each cell is emitting its own light. There is no backlight. Each cell gets slightly dimmer with extended use. So it makes sense that they are susceptible to burn in.

CorruptionDee

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, this seems to be a common problem with all AMOLED technology. Apparently that beautiful picture comes at a cost. I love the Super AMOLED display, as the picture is highly reminiscent of my Pioneer Kuro Plasma, but trying to avoid burn-in on a smartphone is IMPOSSIBLE. I was under the impression that AMOLED technology impervious to burn-in and instead only suffered from image retention, but apparently it's permanent.

I checked my phone and I have mild burn-in, only at the task bar at the very top of the screen. See early adopters of the Nexus One to hear more about AMOLED burn-in. With that said, the picture quality is still unmatched.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I knew about AMOLED burn-in quite a while back because Nexus One users were reporting screen burn-in. After researching Super AMOLED, I knew it had the possibility of burn-in too. I read the thread, and it appears that it may not be burn-in, but either way, the guy looks like he's exchanging it.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, this seems to be a common problem with all AMOLED technology. Apparently that beautiful picture comes at a cost. I love the Super AMOLED display, as the picture is highly reminiscent of my Pioneer Kuro Plasma, but trying to avoid burn-in on a smartphone is IMPOSSIBLE. I was under the impression that AMOLED technology impervious to burn-in and instead only suffered from image retention, but apparently it's permanent.

I checked my phone and I have mild burn-in, only at the task bar at the very top of the screen. See early adopters of the Nexus One to hear more about AMOLED burn-in. With that said, the picture quality is still unmatched.

The colors are absolutely amazing, but of course, the downside is a. PenTile Matrix and b) possibility of screen burn-in.

bkrodgers

May 13, 2010
Visit site
OLED is definitely susceptible to burn in. I saw some pretty bad burn in on a Fascinate at the Verizon store yesterday. The icons on the bottom were very clearly visible when that area had a white background (like a web page). The Epic would be susceptible to the same thing.

Granted, store models may spend more time turned on than an average phone would. Still, that display unit has to be 2 months old or less, since it only came out on VZW at the start of Sept.

acegolfer

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Isn't burn-in the reason for having black top bar (which I prefer) instead of stock Android white/grey color?

If Nexus 2 (or S) comes with stock Android with white status bar on top, screen burn-in (in addition to battery drain) will be a big issue.

adjmcloon#IM

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
The Samsung dock app has burned in the battery full warning into my screen. I will be heading for a replacement.

fyi, it is not only possible, it happened to me!

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the Epic is susceptible to screen burn-in. See:
Anybody wanna see the image burnt in my screen? - PPCGeeks

It is advised to install a screen-saver if the screen is configured to stay on during an extended period of time.

Sorry, but I don't buy that this is burn in. If it were the clock would not show up clearly like it does in the screenshots saying "10:00". The time on the clock would be blurred, the remainder of the screen that stays on (the icons) constantly would be burned, but certainly not a constant "10:00".

Maybe the dock app, but certainly not burn in.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, but I don't buy that this is burn in. If it were the clock would not show up clearly like it does in the screenshots saying "10:00". The time on the clock would be blurred, the remainder of the screen that stays on (the icons) constantly would be burned, but certainly not a constant "10:00".

Maybe the dock app, but certainly not burn in.

Whilst screen burn-in absolutely is possible, I agree with this. There would be no way the time would be readable like that at "10:00" without it being stuck on that time for a very, very long period of time. Sorry to say, but I think this is a very good Photoshop attempt.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Yup im with you guys on this, burn in is more than possible, but in this case i dont believe it, you would see some more numbers .. good call guys...i regret not taking pictures of the screens that i had that were burnt in

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Whilst screen burn-in absolutely is possible, I agree with this. There would be no way the time would be readable like that at "10:00" without it being stuck on that time for a very, very long period of time. Sorry to say, but I think this is a very good Photoshop attempt.

Your wrong think about it what part of the screen is used most with the clock the reason it looks to be 10 is because the numbers the way the clock runs out of all the numbers used if you look closely at the pic you can see were you can almost make out 1200 or 200 or 300 and so on its burn in for sure i have the same issue sad to say... you can see it on any color of background sept black and dark gray but i do have burn in i even called samsung about it and they stated that they are working on an update for the doc app that would add a screen saver

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Again, I have no doubt that screen burn-in happens. But I've been around enough IT to see a lot of cases of screen burn-in, and none of them, and I mean none of them are ever as defined as that. That's why I'm not buying that particular picture. Burn in occurs after many, many hundreds of hours of the same pixels being used. 1's and 0's are undoubtedly the most used numbers for time, but not in that exact order of "10:00".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez