Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 29 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sprint Samsung Epic 4g Official Froyo EC05 [update.zip method/Custom Odin Packages]

Samsung Epic 4g

Froyo EC05
    v2.2.1

Screenshots by Paul627g

Official EC05 is finally here! We have four methods available. The "update.zip" method for both Eclair 2.1 (DI18) to EC05 and Froyo EB13 to Froyo EC05 and now two custom Odin packages. See below.

Manual "update.zip" Method From Froyo EB13 to Froyo EC05:

This manual "update.zip" method is currently only for those running stock Froyo EB13. This will NOT erase your current data if your already running Froyo EB13.

1) You need to be on Froyo EB13. Follow the link provided and select procedure #1 to Odin back to stock Froyo EB13 This WILL ERASE everything on your phone (SDCARD WILL NOT BE AFFECTED) [How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

2. Download the update file from here.
    Google Download

3. You will need to rename the file to "update.zip" once the download is finished. If your changing the filename in Windows Explorer just rename it to "update" and NOT "update.zip" or your filename will end up "update.zip.zip" and then it won't install.

4. Transfer the file to your root directory of your sdcard

5. Boot into stock recovery mode (press and hold volume down+camera+power for a few seconds)

6. Select "apply sdcard:update.zip" (You navigate by using volume up/down & select by hitting home key)

7. Sit back and wait for the update to finish and your phone will reboot into EC05 Froyo!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manual "update.zip" Method From Eclair 2.1 (DI18) to Froyo EC05:

This manual "update.zip" method is currently only for those running stock Eclair 2.1 (DI18). This will NOT erase your current data if your already running Eclair 2.1 (DI18).

1) You need to be on Eclair 2.1 (DI18). Follow the link provided and select procedure #2 to Odin back to stock Eclair 2.1 (DI18) This WILL ERASE everything on your phone (SDCARD WILL NOT BE AFFECTED) [How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

2. Download the update file from here.
    xda developers | mirror

3. You will need to rename the file to "update.zip" once the download is finished. If your changing the filename in Windows Explorer just rename it to "update" and NOT "update.zip" or your filename will end up "update.zip.zip" and then it won't install.

4. Transfer the file to your root directory of your sdcard

5. Boot into stock recovery mode (press and hold volume down+camera+power for a few seconds)

6. Select "apply sdcard:update.zip" (You navigate by using volume up/down & select by hitting home key)

7. Sit back and wait for the update to finish and your phone will reboot into EC05 Froyo!

Credit: xda - developers for the update.zip link

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alternative Odin Packages *** Android Central Exclusive ***

NEW VERSION: Froyo EC05 Prerooted/ClockWorkMod v2.5.1.0 (RFS Filesystem) Odexed. [ FULL WIPE ]

[Odin-EC05] Froyo EC05 Prerooted/CWM v2.5.1.0 RFS (Odexed)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3/21 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release (Android 2.2) - EC05
    Credit: Sprint Community Forums

Samsung Epic Maintenance Release (Android 2.2) - EC05

Enhancements/Fixes:
    - Upgrade of the Google OS from clair to Froyo (2.2.1)
    - Ability to install applications to external storage
    - Improved Bluetooth device support
    - Bluetooth Voice Dialing
    - Flash Player 10.1
    - Improved OS performance
    - many others...
    - GPS Enhancements
    - Email PIN based authentication
    - User friendly tethering for 3G and 4G
    - Sprint ID

Important Notes:
    - Software version is: S:D700.0.5S.EC05
    - Devices with software versions DI18 and EB13 will receive the udpate
    - Download and install time is approximately 10 minutes
    - Released in stages with 100% of devices having received the update within 4 days
    - Refer to the Samsung Epic Maintenance Release blog for install instructions
    - Refer to this thread for more Epic specific information on Sprint ID

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well looks like Samsung has the source file posted again at their opensource.samsung.com site. Looks like last time around, just the source code not flashable.

We will keep you posted throughout the day...

Paul627g

Questions about receiving the OTA update?

Can I Still Get OTA Updates with Root/Leaked Froyo/Custom ROM/etc?

Last edited by Paul627g; 05-24-2012 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Added Froyo EB13 to Froyo EC05 update.zip method!
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Thanked by 11:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked

What would happen if I downloaded it and used Odin since it's a tar file

ROM
    Rooted, EB13

I think this is all over the board, but that is the source code. You would need to compile it to deploy it to your phone. As of 9:56am, the compiled EC05 is not available on the Samsung website.
    Just my $2 worth.

It used to be my 2 cents worth but things have gone up a bit because of inflation.
    Thanked by:
    citiz 
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by citiz View Post
    What would happen if I downloaded it and used Odin since it's a tar file
    Nothing, judging from the file name and basing off Froyo EB13 this is the source code for developers to use to build their kernels. Raw code, nothing flashable. Keep checking the opensource.samsung.com site, once you see a filename for EC05 pop up that has "update" somewhere in the filename your in business..
    Paul

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by gyoung345 View Post
    I think this is all over the board, but that is the source code. You would need to compile it to deploy it to your phone. As of 9:56am, the compiled EC05 is not available on the Samsung website.
    This source code can't even be compiled for use. It still has the modem and some other bits left out as before with Froyo EB13. Give it a few hours...
    Paul

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9 Beta 2

EB13 was supposed to start deployment late on the first day. (10pm I think) Does anyone know if this release is supposed to be the same?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by drekosh View Post
    EB13 was supposed to start deployment late on the first day. (10pm I think) Does anyone know if this release is supposed to be the same?
    Not sure.. Still waiting on word.
    Paul

Well, i have downloaded the update, but I can not get the phone to take the update as i am on EB13 from last month. I need help getting the phone back to Stock DI18 so I may attempt to to the update again. Does any one have or know where I may be able to get this file?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman11781 View Post
    Well, i have downloaded the update, but I can not get the phone to take the update as i am on EB13 from last month. I need help getting the phone back to Stock DI18 so I may attempt to to the update again. Does any one have or know where I may be able to get this file?
    Which update are you referring to?

Choose procedure #2 for restoring to Eclair 2.1 (DI18) in the link below.

[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)
    Paul

Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    ROM
    ACE ROM v1.7

does the update include people on eb13 who updated the last time? not sure i want to check out the update or stay with my ace
    Rom - ACE v1.7
    Theme - TER Mini Theme v1.8
    Kernel - Genocide v.03a

I forgot to mention, i can not use Odin, as I am on a mac. I believe, in order to get the EC05, i have to be on DI18. Currently I am on EB13, and have put the .zip file on the SD card and tried to load from that, as I did with EB13, but it will not take the update.
    It keeps saying something like update failed, can't mount to sd or something. MAybe I need the phone in debug before I shut it down? I am kinda noob with this stuff.

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman11781 View Post
    I forgot to mention, i can not use Odin, as I am on a mac. I believe, in order to get the EC05, i have to be on DI18. Currently I am on EB13, and have put the .zip file on the SD card and tried to load from that, as I did with EB13, but it will not take the update.
    It keeps saying something like update failed, can't mount to sd or something. MAybe I need the phone in debug before I shut it down? I am kinda noob with this stuff.
    I think several people have said in this thread that the source code available on samsung.com at the moment can not be used to update? Is that what your are attempting?

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

i've been wondering about this, if we already have eb13 we will get ec05, BUT will this fix the bugs in eb13 or just add sprint id... i'm pretty sure it's a premature question but with folks here you never know lol

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robomav View Post
    does the update include people on eb13 who updated the last time? not sure i want to check out the update or stay with my ace
    Important Notes:

- Software version is: S700.0.5S.EC05

- Released in stages with 100% of devices having received the update within 4 days
    Thanked by:
    Mike77 
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by robomav View Post
    It should, because EC05 will be the new official Froyo so as long as you meet the guidelines below your in.

Paul

Global Posts
    1,110 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock - but Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    It should, because EC05 will be the new official Froyo so as long as you meet the guidelines below your in.

Ok, here is a trick question for you that the link you provided doesn't answer - if you are stock rom and kernel and rooted, but did the camera/video lag fix to the stock kernel - will you get the update?
    LG G3 (tweaked and rooted)
    Samsung Galaxy S3 (tweaked and rooted)
    Samsung Epic 4G (retired rooted backup)
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
    Apple iPad 3 (yes, I have one of those also)
    kickstand4u mobile kickstands for all mobile devices

Oh my! I rooted my LG G3!
    Rock Solid and Perfect!

ROM
    EH17 U. Metamorphosis 2.0

Default Is there a great difference between EC05 and EB13?

Hello Everyone!!!
    I have to go to work, but I will be checking AC for updates.

Did you get the update?
    How was it?
    Last edited by tomy2001; 03-21-2011 at 10:08 AM.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by mouseglider View Post
    Ok, here is a trick question for you that the link you provided doesn't answer - if you are stock rom and kernel and rooted, but did the camera/video lag fix to the stock kernel - will you get the update?
    You flashed the kernel that fixes the camera/video lag? You should be okay.
    Paul

ROM
    EI22, Nubernel+ 2.6.35.7

Once the dust settles, will you guys have a comparison of what is different from the EB13 update? I'm hoping some of the little bugs like the camera issue are now resolved as part of the EC05 build.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by garapueto View Post
    Once the dust settles, will you guys have a comparison of what is different from the EB13 update? I'm hoping some of the little bugs like the camera issue are now resolved as part of the EC05 build.
    Everyone will know the answer to the camera fc as soon as they receive the update and try it. Keyboard lag is my other question. Any time now we should know the answers to all this.
    Paul

Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock TW FH13 ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Samsung Epic 4g

Froyo EC05
    v2.2.1

3/21 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release (Android 2.2) - EC05
    Credit: Sprint Community Forums

Samsung Epic Maintenance Release (Android 2.2) - EC05

Enhancements/Fixes:
    - Upgrade of the Google OS from clair to Froyo (2.2.1)
    - Ability to install applications to external storage
    - Improved Bluetooth device support
    - Bluetooth Voice Dialing
    - Flash Player 10.1
    - Improved OS performance
    - many others...
    - GPS Enhancements
    - Email PIN based authentication
    - User friendly tethering for 3G and 4G
    - Sprint ID

Important Notes:
    - Software version is: S700.0.5S.EC05
    - Refer to the Samsung Epic Maintenance Release blog for install instructions
    - Refer to this thread for more Epic specific information on Sprint ID

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well looks like Samsung has the source file posted again at their opensource.samsung.com site. Looks like last time around, just the source code not flashable.

We will keep you posted throughout the day...

Paul627g

Questions about receiving the OTA update?

any way to update manually?
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Not yet.
    Paul

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

Look like the TAR file is out. Can't we use this with ODIN?

my friend had issues with her epic and took it back and exchanged it for a new one and her new phone had 2.2 already on it. I played around with it a little and it was pretty sweet. I didn't get a chance to see if it was the ec05 version thou, i would assume it was. But it they are preinstalling it on newly sold phones i would assume that the newest version of froyo should be pretty solid.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by triniprince View Post
    Look like the TAR file is out. Can't we use this with ODIN?
    No just the source code, Raw data only valuable to devs building kernels.

Already downloaded it and looked a hour or so ago...
    Paul

Page 1 of 29 1234 ... LastLast