Sprint Samsung Epic 4g Official Froyo EC05 [update.zip method/Custom Odin Packages]

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Epic 4g

Froyo EC05
v2.2.1

3/21 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release (Android 2.2) - EC05
Credit: Sprint Community Forums

Samsung Epic Maintenance Release (Android 2.2) - EC05

Enhancements/Fixes:
- Upgrade of the Google OS from ?clair to Froyo (2.2.1)
- Ability to install applications to external storage
- Improved Bluetooth device support
- Bluetooth Voice Dialing
- Flash Player 10.1
- Improved OS performance
- many others...
- GPS Enhancements
- Email PIN based authentication
- User friendly tethering for 3G and 4G
- Sprint ID

Important Notes:
- Software version is: S:D700.0.5S.EC05
- Devices with software versions DI18 and EB13 will receive the udpate
- Download and install time is approximately 10 minutes
- Released in stages with 100% of devices having received the update within 4 days
- Refer to the Samsung Epic Maintenance Release blog for install instructions
- Refer to this thread for more Epic specific information on Sprint ID

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well looks like Samsung has the source file posted again at their opensource.samsung.com site. Looks like last time around, just the source code not flashable.

We will keep you posted throughout the day...

Paul627g

Questions about receiving the OTA update?

Can I Still Get OTA Updates with Root/Leaked Froyo/Custom ROM/etc?

any way to update manually?

aoswald86

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
my friend had issues with her epic and took it back and exchanged it for a new one and her new phone had 2.2 already on it. I played around with it a little and it was pretty sweet. I didn't get a chance to see if it was the ec05 version thou, i would assume it was. But it they are preinstalling it on newly sold phones i would assume that the newest version of froyo should be pretty solid.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
my friend had issues with her epic and took it back and exchanged it for a new one and her new phone had 2.2 already on it. I played around with it a little and it was pretty sweet. I didn't get a chance to see if it was the ec05 version thou, i would assume it was. But it they are preinstalling it on newly sold phones i would assume that the newest version of froyo should be pretty solid.

I would doubt if it had the new EC05 on it already. Since it hasn't been officially "pushed" OTA or by manual update methods yet its probably running Froyo EB13.

I could be wrong, only a look at "About Phone" would tell the answer.

RichardLSX

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
^^ Yea more than likely it was EB13, a buddy of mine also got an Epic about 3-4 days ago, and it had EB13 already installed.

I can't count how many times I've tried "Update Firmware", on my phone hehe.

ricnmar

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I hit Update Firmware and get an error message after 2 minutes each time UNKNOWN ERROR. I hit Update Android and get a message saying 'Your system is currently up to date.' I am running ECLAIR.DI18. I just went back to it in anticipation of the real FROYO. At least I know that I am not the only one - I see 1600+ hits on this posting and I know I only did 1000 of them! LOL!!

Dan1400

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I hit Update Firmware and get an error message after 2 minutes each time UNKNOWN ERROR. I hit Update Android and get a message saying 'Your system is currently up to date.' I am running ECLAIR.DI18. I just went back to it in anticipation of the real FROYO. At least I know that I am not the only one - I see 1600+ hits on this posting and I know I only did 1000 of them! LOL!!

Yea I am getting the same error message, if I hit the update firmware, profile and PRL. I manually updated to Froyo (no root).

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yea I am getting the same error message, if I hit the update firmware, profile and PRL. I manually updated to Froyo (no root).

Don't bother with the manual update options in About Phone. It will not get you anywhere. The update is getting pushed OTA, you will receive a notification when its pushed to your device.

Otherwise if a manual "update.zip" method or Odin method becomes available we will post it.

ricnmar

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Man!! That takes the fun out of trying to get the phone to update... The next 3 days are going to be long waiting for the update to suddenly appear.

robomav

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
no biggie waiting for me. i went back to stock just to see what the update is like and how dumb spring id is. then is back to my rooted ace 1.7

kuhne

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
These OTA updates... are they done over sprints 3G network? can they be done over WIFI? or is it not an internet thing but actualy done over the sprint network? Because I am not in sprint, Im not even in the USA, I use my epic in another carriet of another country so I have a feeling flashing with Odin might be the only option for me.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
These OTA updates... are they done over sprints 3G network? can they be done over WIFI? or is it not an internet thing but actualy done over the sprint network? Because I am not in sprint, Im not even in the USA, I use my epic in another carriet of another country so I have a feeling flashing with Odin might be the only option for me.

You will probably have 2 ways to update. Update zip or the samsung windows update tool (whatever it's called).

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

robomav

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
it is solid. not many changes from stock but no sprint apps, good battery life and very stable. i have not had a single fc on it.

i think it is great one to look at if you want something simple, stable and with good battery life.

kuhne

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I need my epic fully functional for at least 20 days with gps working and pretty much everything for an upcoming trip.. I tried syndicate rom and ace rom, they look cool, syndicate rom is very fast but to be honest it wasnt that stable. The 1.0.1 version gave me a very bad bug in which it automaticaly deleted any new files I transfered onto the SD card and the newer version 1.0.2 started force closing everything on me, couldnt even send SMS messages.

I came to the conclussion that eclair was going to be the best option for my situation.. at least we know it's stable. So finding out about this new Froyo version was like light from heaven. I think I am not gona install any custom mods for a while and try the new stock froyo as it is. A big concern is allways battery life, which completly sucked donkeys in eclair but I use this

Amazon.com: Samsung Epic 4G (2800 mAh) Extended Life Battery with Replacement Back Cover: Cell Phones & Accessories

that pretty much ended my battery life problem

vader4633

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I need my epic fully functional for at least 20 days with gps working and pretty much everything for an upcoming trip.. I tried syndicate rom and ace rom, they look cool, syndicate rom is very fast but to be honest it wasnt that stable. The 1.0.1 version gave me a very bad bug in which it automaticaly deleted any new files I transfered onto the SD card and the newer version 1.0.2 started force closing everything on me, couldnt even send SMS messages.

I came to the conclussion that eclair was going to be the best option for my situation.. at least we know it's stable. So finding out about this new Froyo version was like light from heaven. I think I am not gona install any custom mods for a while and try the new stock froyo as it is. A big concern is allways battery life, which completly sucked donkeys in eclair but I use this

Amazon.com: Samsung Epic 4G (2800 mAh) Extended Life Battery with Replacement Back Cover: Cell Phones & Accessories

that pretty much ended my battery life problem

Only $20 after shipping, I have ordered 2 for the wife and I on ebay:

Sprint Epic 4G Samsung Yoobao Extended Battery | eBay

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
So that update is suppose to start today and not 1 person thats posts on here has seen it yet? Wonder if will start going out at a certain time, maybe later today? Anyone?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
All available information can be found in post #1 of this thread. If it's not there, then we probably don't know.

If you're rooted and have ClockworkMod Recovery installed, there is an available custom ROM that is EC05 based.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali