phone shows lighting bolt on battery but doesn't charge

tooandrew

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
It tells me it's not charging but shows a lightning bolt on the battery, which is my indication of charging. I didn't have this problem until my phone died completely for like... the first time ever... last Friday. I got it to charge last night but at some point in the night it stopped. If I do somehow get it to charge (the led turns on solid orange when it's charging) then don't touch it at all, leave it on a flat surface, it will stop charging by itself without being moved. I cleared the cache... what's up?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried swapping out chargers/cables/wall outlets?

If so, it may be the USB port on the phone.

tooandrew

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
if it were the usb port how would i go about fixing that? i dont think it is though because nothing changed it just suddenly stopped workin. and the phone acknowledges that its plugged in, the lightning bolt disappears when i unplug it

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
if it were the usb port how would i go about fixing that? i dont think it is though because nothing changed it just suddenly stopped workin. and the phone acknowledges that its plugged in, the lightning bolt disappears when i unplug it

He's suggesting that you try an alternate wall charger, cable or wall outlet. Perhaps one of those has gone bad, which can happen. Keep us posted and let us know what happens.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

mrao

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I faced a slightly different problem with my S4 last week when I dropped it into a puddle. I did manage to get the battery out in time, and kept it to dry overnight. Next day, the lightning indicator just wouldn't come one when I plugged it into the wall charger or USB, but the phone charge kept increasing. After a day of contemplating and waiting, I decided that the micro USB port was kaput and decided to look for a way to replace it. And to my surprise, the lightning flash indicator on the battery icon was back on. Hasn't troubled me since, but I really think Sammy could have done a better job with the charging port on this otherwise brilliant device

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Magnus got part of what I was trying to say correct. By trying different chargers and cables, you are eliminating if the cable is at fault. If you have 3 different cables and wall chargers, and they all don't work, then by process of elimination, it isn't the cord, it is the phone.

From a Liquid Nexus 5

tooandrew

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
No cables or chargers work. It will not charge for more than a minute then the led turns off and the olive says it's not charging but the battery icon still says it's charging

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
No cables or chargers work. It will not charge for more than a minute then the led turns off and the olive says it's not charging but the battery icon still says it's charging

Then I would say it us a damaged port in the phone.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

DaisFlaque

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
This may not be completely true. I've had this exact problem. And it was software. Try a clean install tooandrew. It worked for me. And I mean Odin to stock and re-root. If not possible (ie.u took the 4.3 update) than a clean wipe x3 and reinstall.
Have you played with any root apps lately? I never found out what did this to me.. I'd like to find out.. This is EXACTLY what I had fixed.. but not actually found a solution too.. just reflash.

Sometime it would say it's charging.. than it would die while charging too.

Last edited by a moderator:

tooandrew

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
sorry to gravedig here, but the little contacts on the inside, one of them was bent inward. i tugged on it with a mechanical pencil, no problem now

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I Agree→ phone is Brilliant→ changing Port is weak!

I Hear YA Seemed TO Me like I WAS Seeing a Bent butter BAR AS Well • I've Tried TO realign it. which is where I feel my problem still lies ! I Don't Think The cable Making the Correct Contacts in that Port• What a Drag! I'd Hate To Try And Clean Slate and Re-Root In Fear of what Could go wrong ! Any Suggestions ?

Last edited by a moderator:

hakoreh

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Late but it means the battery is beyond dead. You need to give it more than a few minutes and then it will start charging

emalb82

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Lol my phone was having the same problem. Just grabbed the nearest sharp thing (a push pin) and shoved the contact in the port.
Tadaaaa started charging. Now I just switched it on to get the confirm email to sign up for this site...stopped charging again haha 😂 off it goes again

Glen Espiritu

Dec 1, 2016
Visit site
i accidentally fixed it, i go to recovery then clean the cache then change the battery and turn it on, if it never wakes then remove the battery again and change the old one and turn it on again while charging, then its done!

Bee Bucket

Jan 5, 2017
Visit site
change your data cable or charger for this issue. most of the phone data cable is not durable. due to breakage in the internal wire of the cable voltages drops and charging IC get confused what to do. so in this case of every android phone always change your data cable or charger..
Regards.

matt clarke68

May 14, 2017
Visit site
change your data cable or charger for this issue. most of the phone data cable is not durable. due to breakage in the internal wire of the cable voltages drops and charging IC get confused what to do. so in this case of every android phone always change your data cable or charger..
Regards.

Can I dive in here and open this thread.
I have a Galaxy S6 and it will not charge. It says its getting a charge from the cable because the solid red light is on, The battery icon is on the screen along with the 3 pulsating green lights that says there is power going into the battery. WRONG! I have left it on "charge" for hours but the battery icon still reads ZERO. Unable to turn phone on.
Phone only responsive if I do the volume down, power on, Home button. Then it lets me go into the boot screen. I've cleared the Cash partition. Nothing works

prinny tee

Sep 24, 2017
Visit site
He's suggesting that you try an alternate wall charger, cable or wall outlet. Perhaps one of those has gone bad, which can happen. Keep us posted and let us know what happens.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

i have the same problem I've tried other chargers, wall outlets everything, yesterday my phone was on 14% i put it on charge at about 2am when i woke up which was at 10am it only charged to 22% normally with a 8hr time spam my phone would have 100%, just a while ago i placed my phone in another charger at another part of my house, it somehow charged down and my phone went to 22% to 19% while on the charger. Please inform me if you understand my problem & could help

-thank you {Samsung J36 user}

catskill

Sep 4, 2019
Visit site
my phone did the same thing after i let it completely die. i took the battery out for a few minutes and when i put it back in it seemed to charge and work again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo