Help!! Having MAJOR text message and call issues on the S3?

OnePalmAddict

Addicted 2 Mobile Gadgets
Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Upgraded from S2 to S3 about a month ago, mainly because it seemed as though Sprint's network in my area (south Atlanta region) was lagging and I was eager to use the new LTE (plus I just wanted the S3, but I digress...). Anyway, for the last 12-13 days, I have had MAJOR problems sending and receiving texts (everything from error 97 to messages being sent from my phone but never being received by the recipient to randomly not receiving texts from co-workers). Now, in the past 30 hours, I have had two different people attempt to call me four different times and my phone never rang, but only sent them straight to voicemail. The signal in my area is reasonably good most of the places I go, and right before this all started I installed an Air Rave at home which gives me a fatalistic signal there (I do know of issues with the Air Rave and Sprint has seemingly resolved them for me; the problem is, these issues happen everywhere, not just at home). Also worth noting is these problems only began less than two weeks ago--the first couple weeks on the phone everything worked great.

I have spent hours on the phone with upper level Sprint tech support, as well as visited my Sprint Store multiple times, and no one has identified the problem nor found a resolution. Interestingly, the store manager has an S3 and has similar problems, especially at his home (where he does NOT have an Air Rave). Yet, another store employee has the S3 and all works virtually flawlessly. The store manager thinks it's either a needed software update for the phone or simply the network state of flux in our area due to the LTE roll out...or a combination of these two issues. Their only solution is to order me a refurbed phone and try it out. Before I do that--or before I call Sprint and insist on a NEW phone to try--I am hoping someone here has some insight.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mark

Lanny84

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I've had severe signal issues in my area since the end of June. I thought there was something wrong with my nexus s4g and fire Sprint to bump up my upgrade nearly a year early because they couldn't fix the issue. The S3 has had the same network issues intermittently throughout the day where i can't send our receive texts or calls. Texts return with an error message 3. I called Sprint who informed me that they are upgrading the towers near my apt. Oddly enough data still works flawlessly but i can't do the abovementioned. I'm hoping they finish upgrading the network soon because it's useless to have a phone and not be able to make a call...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
While I've never had issues with the text messages not being received or sent. I have had the calls sent straight to voice mail on several occasions. Since my phone is never used for business, I never really though much about it until now. So yes, you are not the only one.

I do have a question for you though. Are you using the stock app for messaging? Or are you using a third party app such as gosms or handscent? Like I said, I have never had the text problem but I hate the stock sms app and have never used it.

onslaught460

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a friend that had similar issues when he upgraded from his droid x to his razr maxx. He resolved it by not letting his droid x backup data migrate to his razr maxx. Something in the settings for the droid x was messing up the phone.

Maybe you could try that. Don't let your Google settings/data from the s2 restore to the s3. Just do everything from scratch and see how it works out for you.

OnePalmAddict

Addicted 2 Mobile Gadgets
Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
The more I reflect on my experiences and read/her about others, the more it seems like this is a network issue. Before switching to my S3, I would occasionally have texts that took several attempts to send (on my S2 and before that on my Evo) or would arrive on my phone or others' out of order. However, even if it is a network issue, I wonder if it's unique to the S3 or any other select phones? And, if so, does that suggest the phone itself is partially to blame for the problems? I guess if I get a new phone I can at least see if the issues are the same, so maybe that's the best next step to take.

Skunkape60, I do use Handcent SMS for messaging, and I have historically had some quirks with it. However, after my last call with Sprint (6 days ago), I deleted it and have been using only the stock messaging app with the same results.

onslaught460, I did a fresh install of everything when I got my S3 and did NOT migrate any apps data from my old device. Even so, I wonder if a hard reset now would make any difference, just to wipe it down to it's stock setup and test from that point?

Mark

J Beck

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
The Samsung s3 has an issue that after a few hours, loses conection with the network
It goes into what I call a Pseudo standby mode during which it will not receve calls or texts.
Restarting the phone, doing a PRL update or making a phone call or sending a text brings it out of this state and returns it to normal untill it re-lapses.
I found that a an auto text sender, set to text myself every hour with a one letter Text(I use X) keeps the S3 from going into this weird standyby mode
After a few days I mass delete all the texts from myself
This app from google store helped me SMS Auto responder

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
The Samsung s3 has an issue that after a few hours, loses conection with the network
It goes into what I call a Pseudo standby mode during which it will not receve calls or texts.
Restarting the phone, doing a PRL update or making a phone call or sending a text brings it out of this state and returns it to normal untill it re-lapses.
I found that a an auto text sender, set to text myself every hour with a one letter Text(I use X) keeps the S3 from going into this weird standyby mode

Never mind. :D

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Never had this issue.. :what:

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums