New Sprint Galaxy Update

Clendi

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
So I woke up with the notification of an update on my galaxy s3, however, I need to know what happens if I update the phone will its rooted. I put in too much time and stuff to have it wiped away cuz I didn't do reaserch regarding this new update. Btw, the update is 81.5 mbs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
There are several threads that tell you how to update depending on your situation.
Rooted, stock rom and stock recovery

Rooted, custom rom and custom recovery.

Rooted, stock rom and custom recovery.

Which are you?

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Hmm if you have a custom recovery installed you'll need stock, customs can't flash a stock update.zip it'll fail SIG verification.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Hmm if you have a custom recovery installed you'll need stock, customs can't flash a stock update.zip it'll fail SIG verification.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Correct....
But if he has custom recovery and a fairly stock rooted rom the update is just a flash away.

Last edited:

jhill110

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Correct....
But if he has custom recovery and a fairly stock rooted rom the update is just a flash away.

Greetings guy's.
I've had my SG3 for two days now. Ten minutes out of the box I rooted it with CWM custom recovery.
Well, Like the op I woke up with the update notification this morning. In a daze I accepted it... No worky. lol
I want it, are there any real problems ahead for me manually updating?
My phones bio:
Rooted
Custom Recovery
Stock Rom
Thanks in advance to Skunkape and the others who give so much advice here. Myself and so many others appreciate it.
James in Santa Barbara

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I started receiving the update notifications today, and always said to not install now. This afternoon I see the notification that indicates the update was downloaded and verified, and giving me the option to 'restart & install'. What? I don't want to install the update. Is there any way I can avoid it? My phone is stock.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
My only concern is that it sounds like battery life takes a hit with this update, and right now I'm getting over 2 days without heavy use - compared with having to have a charger with me at all times with the Epic 4G...

Only a relatively few posters have reported a battery hit. But no problem. You may get tired of the constant update notifications though. Once they start, they won't stop.

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Only a relatively few posters have reported a battery hit. But no problem. You may get tired of the constant update notifications though. Once they start, they won't stop.

Well, that'll get old pretty quick. I also don't want to lose the keyboard features, but will probably wind up just installing the update...
Thanks

Clendi

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys, I installed it with crossing my fingers and it worked! Well not fully, Seems its not rooted but it still claims its modified. I guess I will try to remove the modified status and wait for jellybean for the s3 on sprint. Hopefully it comes faster than the 4G lte.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch