I'm somewhat over this addiction. I don't need to have the latest...

Elky64

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site
Lol, if you want to use the vehicle analogy, the current smartphone market is similar to having nothing but mid size sedans on the road.
No pickups, no trucks, no coupes, no convertibles, no SUV's

Just one size fits all mid size sedans...

That's what it feels like.

Yeah find myself yawning more often than not now when a new flagship arrives on scene, and usually fall asleep once pricing is revealed LOL. So kinda agree with you on this.

jameny5

Jan 23, 2018
Visit site
With the cost of phones these days and the relatively iterative changes, I'm kinda done doing the yearly upgrade as well. As long as the software stays up to date, I'm good on a 2 year cycle.
It gets to people when they buy a phone that costs $500, $600, $700 or higher and try to resell the phone to a company that pays $60 or a $100 for it. After two years that resale value leaves a sour taste in their mouth. The phone should be worth more. I call those prices high end. What would be the incentive to get the next latest greatest phone? It has to be deep discounts or subsidies.

I mean you got to be careful with those $800 dollar Samsungs and $1,000 dollar iPhones. You better have some good insurance on those babies.

The last concern is sending these expensive phones out for repair and being surprised after they are supposedly fixed. Then, you find out the phone is a used model worth hundreds of dollars less than your original phone. This has happened to many people.

Elky64

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site
I mean you got to be careful with those $800 dollar Samsungs and $1,000 dollar iPhones. You better have some good insurance on those babies.

I'd be in heaven if Samsung's and Apple's top tier phone's were anywhere near those prices in CAD dollars LOL. Double and triple those dollar figures is more like it w/Samsung leading the pack here in terms of having the highest priced phone(s).

Thankfully Samsung's A71 and Apple's new SE (both $600 here) fit into my wheelhouse. Would gladly use either and no insurance needed lol.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It gets to people when they buy a phone that costs $500, $600, $700 or higher and try to resell the phone to a company that pays $60 or a $100 for it. After two years that resale value leaves a sour taste in their mouth. The phone should be worth more. I call those prices high end. What would be the incentive to get the next latest greatest phone? It has to be deep discounts or subsidies.

The last concern is sending these expensive phones out for repair and being surprised after they are supposedly fixed. Then, you find out the phone is a used model worth hundreds of dollars less than your original phone. This has happened to many people.

Aren't the Samsungs $1200?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Aren't the Samsungs $1200?

When I went to the Samsung store in October to look at buying the S10 online, my brain registered that it was definitely way over $1000 yet also seemed to want to repress the amount at the same time. 🤣

dekatch

Apr 8, 2019
Visit site
During the development of Android, (I started on around Android 4 to use Smartphones) they made a huge progress

I'm currently on an xiaomi Redmi 8a (100 eur) and don't experience any lagg or stuttering. Only downside is the occasional reload of apps because it has only 2gb memory. Can only do up to like 2 to 4 apps then they start to reload each time.. annoying for power users I bet, but I'm an occasional user anyway, so....

The devices begin to just work nowadays. Back then you had to constantly tweak or smth.

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
During the development of Android, (I started on around Android 4 to use Smartphones) they made a huge progress

I'm currently on an xiaomi Redmi 8a (100 eur) and don't experience any lagg or stuttering. Only downside is the occasional reload of apps because it has only 2gb memory. Can only do up to like 2 to 4 apps then they start to reload each time.. annoying for power users I bet, but I'm an occasional user anyway, so....

The devices begin to just work nowadays. Back then you had to constantly tweak or smth.

You're right. And nowadays, mid-range phones can deliver a flagship-level experience for less, so you don't *need* to have the newest or latest, most expensive phone out there.

I've used both flagship and mid-range phones and I gotta say, my Honor 8 (mid-range phone) was one of my all-time favourite experiences.

Last edited:

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
heck my wife's $300 samsung a51 works just fine, not as fast and smooth as my S20 ultra but definitely not $1000 worth of smoothness and speed! Also I put a random tempered glass on her A51, she didn't even have to re-register her fingerprint! I tried that on my S20 ultra and had to re-register my fingerprint and it still sucked, had to just take it off! So for some reason the fingerprint sensor is less sensitive on the a51(which is a win) if u want to use tempered glass.
You're right. And nowadays, mid-range phones can deliver a flagship-level experience for less, so you don't *need* to have the newest or latest, most expensive phone out there.

I've used both flagship and mid-range pgones and I gotta say, my Honor 8 (mid-range phone) was one of my all-time favourite experiences.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
heck my wife's $300 samsung a51 works just fine, not as fast and smooth as my S20 ultra but definitely not $1000 worth of smoothness and speed! Also I put a random tempered glass on her A51, she didn't even have to re-register her fingerprint! I tried that on my S20 ultra and had to re-register my fingerprint and it still sucked, had to just take it off! So for some reason the fingerprint sensor is less sensitive on the a51(which is a win) if u want to use tempered glass.

Oh wow! That's crazy how those kinds of things work out, isn't it? I too have struggled with screen protectors on my S10. My mid-range, glass Honor 8, though? No problems whatsoever.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
yeah man that's so weird. don't get me wrong, the more I use the s20 ultra the more I love it and realize it's way better than some of the criticism it's getting in the reviews but if I would've had to pay full price for it I probably wouldn't have. I was coming from a note 9 and seriously was looking at possibly getting the A71 if it came to sprint, but they gave me the ultra for free . Honestly I would've paid $1100 for it but the 1399 is just rediculous for any phone at this point. Even the ones that fold.
Oh wow! That's crazy how those kinds of things work out, isn't it? I too have struggled with screen protectors on my S10. My mid-range, glass Honor 8, though? No problems whatsoever.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
I opted for a Pixel 3a over a 3 or 4 ONLY for the extra battery life.

That alone is worth getting a solid mid ranger over a flagship.

In any given brand, a flagship is supposed to be better in every single way than a mid ranger. But we've seen that that is most definitely not always the case.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindaoliver