• 1 Post By meyerweb
  • 1 Post By Joe113
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth [4.2.2]

Default What will happen if I format my SD Card?

Talking about my external SD Card (where all media is saved). Because I've been getting the media bug the past week and I wanna get rid of it once and for all. Rooted and running Liquid Smooth ROM.

Thanks.

EDIT: Also, how do I format my (external) SD Card lol?

Default Re: What will happen if I format my SD Card?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe113 View Post
    Talking about my external SD Card (where all media is saved). Because I've been getting the media bug the past week and I wanna get rid of it once and for all. Rooted and running Liquid Smooth ROM.

Thanks.

EDIT: Also, how do I format my (external) SD Card lol?
    Settings>Storage>Format SD card. If you've got something on it you want to save, save it to your computer first. (Settings>Storage>Unmount SD card) Otherwise, you'll lose everything, including Music and Photos.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Banned

Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth [4.2.2]

Quote Originally Posted by Ntchwaidumela View Post
    Settings>Storage>Format SD card. If you've got something on it you want to save, save it to your computer first. (Settings>Storage>Unmount SD card) Otherwise, you'll lose everything, including Music and Photos.
    Thanks man. I have literally everything saved on there though... including all my root stuff and ROM stuff.... will I lose root access and all that?

Like for instance I have "Team Epic root from recovery" zip file on there and CWM folder on there as well..

No, you won't lose root access. Once you flash the ROM zip file, you don't need it any more unless you need to reflash it sometime later.

But you might want to copy everything to your PC, just in case you need to access it again in the future.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Banned

Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth [4.2.2]

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    No, you won't lose root access. Once you flash the ROM zip file, you don't need it any more unless you need to reflash it sometime later.

But you might want to copy everything to your PC, just in case you need to access it again in the future.
    Yeah I already have the ROM saved on my computer... guess I just needa backup my pics and videos and then I'll format. This better solve my freakin media bug problem or I'll be pissed!
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.

If you change the settings to save it to device, does it save what is currently in the gallery to the device? if I decided to want to format my card?

What is "it"?
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Photos and videos that are currently saved on the card

I'm not 100% certain, but I think that will only affect future images. Current ones will stay where they are. You can connect to a PC or Mac and move them from the card to the device (or vice versa) using the file manager if you wish. Or, if you don't have access to a computer, you can use an Android file manager, like Astro, ES File Manager, or one of many others available in the play store.

But keeping them on the card is safer in the long run. If your phone should die, or get broken, and your pics are stored in phone memory, you'll probably never get them back. If they're on the card, just pop it out of your phone and into the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I'm not 100% certain, but I think that will only affect future images. Current ones will stay where they are. You can connect to a PC or Mac and move them from the card to the device (or vice versa) using the file manager if you wish. Or, if you don't have access to a computer, you can use an Android file manager, like Astro, ES File Manager, or one of many others available in the play store.

But keeping them on the card is safer in the long run. If your phone should die, or get broken, and your pics are stored in phone memory, you'll probably never get them back. If they're on the card, just pop it out of your phone and into the next one.
    Now every time I take a picture it goes straight to Dropbox and G+ so I really don't worry about putting pics on my card anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums