HTC One - how to again manage Gallary albums via file folders?

svtdoug

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I just upgraded from an HTC Evo to a Sprint HTC One. Nice phone, but I am not enjoying how JB and Sprint has locked down a lot of functionality which used to be available to users. Case in point. I used to be able to create a file folder on my Evo on the root of the external SD card and upload photos to this folder, which would then appear as an album with the Gallery app. I was able to do this on the HTC One, until I activated it and got the Sprint Default settings. Now I can't create a new folder under the Internal Storage root!

I realize that I can just pour all external photos into the DCIM folder and "move" them manually into a new album from within the Gallery, but those changes are not shown in the file structure - they are hidden, or are managed via some other settings. I hate this! How can I get control of the folders and albums back?

Thanks much,

Doug

Last edited:

svtdoug

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: HTC One - how to again manage Gallery albums via file folders?

As happens sometimes, I can now answer my own question, or at least have found workarounds. I found two solution. Maybe someone else will have the same issue and find this helpful:

1. The File Manager (Explorer) app will allow you to create folders under the Internal Storage root. Once these folders are created and populated with image files, they appear as albums within the Gallery app - just like with the Evo. This app is also useful for general file manipulations, like a File Explorer on a Windows machine.
This app can be found at https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=com.rhmsoft.fm&hl=en&token=LqIZ2NQX

2. I found a handy app called Media Organizer. It too allows you to create folders on the Internal Storage root, with the same result as above. You can also use it to move files into those folders and otherwise organize your media files. This app can be found at - https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...arinits.android.mediaorganizer&token=StokTmSu

I am not sure why creating a folder on the Internal Storage root has been blocked within the USB MTP interface on a PC with this latest release, if its Jelly Bean which is blocking it or Sprint. Its a shame, but at least there are several workarounds.

BTW, this is with:
Android 4.3
HTC Sense 5.0 (overwritten by Apex launcher)
Sprint Software v 3.04.651.2