Android SDK Package - Windows
Performing the following procedure will completely wipe your device. Make sure you contacts are synced before moving forward and backup any pictures, music, etc. from your internal sdcard location. You have been warned !
1. Assuming you have downloaded the required files from previous post. Make sure android-sdk setup has been extracted to your C:/ location of your hard drive. This location when extracted to C:/ will actually be named a folder called " android-sdk-windows ".
To get your platform-tools
folder properly installed inside your C:/android-sdk-windows
folder, please see this [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
2. Place the recovery-clockwork-22.214.171.124-crespo4g.img in the C:/android-sdk-windows/platform-tools/
location if you haven't already.
3. Download the following file, [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
and place it on your root level internal storage/sdcard.
4. Starting with your device booted and everything ready to go proceed to Step #5
5. On your device go to Settings/Applications/Development/USB Debugging. Go ahead and enable this option.
6. Now plug your device via USB cable into your computer and allow the drivers to install.
7. Go back to your computer and run the PDAnet setup file.
Follow the prompts and when it gets to the following picture below to install the drivers, pick Samsung and follow up by doing as it instructs and plug in your device once again with debugging enabled to finish installing the drivers. [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
8. Now you will need to shut down your device and then press and hold Volume UP + Power button and you will be booted into your bootloader.
9. Go back to your computer, press the Windows Icon/Start in the lower left hand corner task bar and either from RUN or the small search bar type CMD and press ENTER. A Windows DOS window will open for you.
10. Type the following from the command line and press ENTER.
11. Now your command prompt should look like the screenshot below.
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
12. Now type in the following command prompt and press ENTER.
fastboot oem unlock
You should then be presented with a screen on your device like the screenshot below. [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
13. Now after reading the speech on the screen about unlocking your bootloader and taking note that this will completely WIPE YOUR DEVICE, go ahead and select YES.
14. Now from your command prompt type the following command and press ENTER. This will install ClockWorkMod recovery to your device.
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-126.96.36.199-crespo4g.img
15. Once this is complete you can then select RECOVERY from the list on your bootloader screen. (Navigate by using Volume UP/Down and make selections by pressing Power). This will then boot you into ClockWorkMod (CWM) 188.8.131.52.
16. Now again using the same buttons to navigate go down to Install from SDCARD. Now follow the prompts to select a file, look for the Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip you placed on your sdcard and process to install.
17. Now you have completed the rooting process :) You may reboot your device.
Now you can go searching for your favorite ROMs, kernels, mods, etc. and enjoy a new way of using your device :) ** I took the liberty of adding the code so when you flash the Superuser file it also makes the CWM "stick".