[Guide] Rooting the Nexus S 4G (Windows Version)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Reading ahead is very important before doing the process ;)

Sounds like you have a connection issue, possibly a USB cable that isn't working so great or USB port... Try different cable, ports, etc... Even try using a different computer if available. Try running PDAnet on your computer again and allow it to replace any Samsung drivers it finds.

Unfortunately without a connection between your computer & device you can't flash anything. Everything with the NS4G is done via the bootloader and using fastboot. There is no way of using dropbox, sdcard, etc. to place the custom recovery on the device or even restore back to stock.

Report back with your results, good luck.

jdhamblin

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I am running stock Jelly Bean. I followed the directions via step 1 in the sticky. I am unlocked but not rooted. I was successful in each step but when I try to run titanium backup it says I'm not rooted. I downloaded root checker and it confirms no root. I have superuser in the app drawer. I have tried to flash the superuser file several times with success (information in recovery after flashing) but no root.

To the brain trust... Anything else to try before I try one click root? Reflash recovery?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

jdhamblin

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The file I downloaded from the OP was missing busybox. Thanks for the link to the other file. It worked.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The file I downloaded from the OP was missing busybox. Thanks for the link to the other file. It worked.

Busybox is not a required piece in rooting your device. Its an optional application that can be added via the Market or many custom ROMs install it for you.

jdhamblin

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I am a novice and definitely will defer to you. However, for some reason, I could not get root to happen with the original file. It said it did in cwm, but wouldn't show when I checked it after booting. It worked the first time with the different file and when I saw busybox as being different I thought that might be the reason. Thanks for the explanation. I really appreciate the help people provide here.

daisydog

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I am running stock Jelly Bean. I followed the directions via step 1 in the sticky. I am unlocked but not rooted. I was successful in each step but when I try to run titanium backup it says I'm not rooted. I downloaded root checker and it confirms no root. I have superuser in the app drawer. I have tried to flash the superuser file several times with success (information in recovery after flashing) but no root.

To the brain trust... Anything else to try before I try one click root? Reflash recovery?

Same thing here. Followed manual steps and am unlocked but not rooted. Gonna try and flash another version of Superuser and then try the oneClick.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Same thing here. Followed manual steps and am unlocked but not rooted. Gonna try and flash another version of Superuser and then try the oneClick.

Alright I updated the Superuser file to the newest.. Superuser 3.1.3 which should resolve the rooting issues.

greyw0lf187

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: [ROM] JRO03R - Stock 4.1.1 - Rooted, Deodexed [Updated 09/23/2012]

I'm having problems with my
Drivers. I installed the PDA n I received the pop up to choose what type of phone and I picked Samsung but I keep having problems with it because a message pops up n says that there is an error then uninstalls it. It also does not recognize my device. I tried the junefabrics website and downloaded the 64 bit witch is what my computer is but I'm still having the same problem. Pls help me figure this out I really want to root my nexus.

alexpmil

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Windows SDK Rooting Guide

Any reason why One-Click shouldn't be working with JB 4.1.1? I've installed the drivers on my Windows 7 PC, but when I run the One-Click program, it says it can't find my device. Suggestions?

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Reboot computer, enable USB debugging on your phone, install drivers via pdaNet, just a few hoping that helps

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

caymangolfer

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
In my limited experience, when I have had issues with the phone being seen by the PC, I have found though I have had USB Debugging selected in settings, it isn't for some reason in debugging mode, so I have found it helps to uncheck USB debugging and then recheck it.

caymangolfer

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Root] Rooting the Nexus S 4G (Windows Version)

Option to try...

I guess go back and act if you are doing a fresh install...

Have that Superuser file ready on your computer. When and if you get booted into CWM recovery you have an option called Mounts & Storage from the main list.

Choose that option, then choose MOUNT USB STORAGE.

That will then connect your device to your computer and you can then move the Superuser file over to your device via Windows Explorer and then exit the USB MOUNT and then flash/install the Superuser apk.

Then you can reboot, and you should have root access and you CWM should stick instead of being erased.

BTW this OP worked great, I did the manual method and it was rooted in no time. However in my experience doing this, as Step 13 wipes the SD Card, it makes Step 16 moot as there is no file in the SD card, or maybe I put it the SU in the the wrong part of the SD card, however I was expecting that so I used the quoted Section as the first part of Step 16 and success. Thanks for the really helpful instructions!

Junglekid23

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: One Click Root Method

How do I place the Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip on root level internal storage/sdcard. Where can I find that location?