ICS Update for the Nexus S 4G Discussion Thread

Getbusylivin

May 23, 2011
Visit site
This might be a stupid question but something changed the way my wifes nexus s looks today,, So did Sprint get ICS today as a upgrade,, We live in Louisiana.. And she wont let me mess with the phone to find out what happened to it,, Also I forgot where to look for current version in the Nexus so a little help would be appreciated,, Thanks

sk1win

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Screen shot isn't working for me. Any suggestions? Everything else is working fine.

EDIT: Got it. It worked when I pushed them down at the same time. Thanks.

Last edited:

tonykilo943

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't get screen shot to work either...
Until I hit them at the EXACT SAME TIME!

It does work and it is nice to be able to do that...now to figure out why in the hell I would use that.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

It does work and it is nice to be able to do that...now to figure out why in the hell I would use that.
Many people use screen shot to show off their homescreen layout.. If you notice in the general section for each device there is usually a thread sticky for showing off your homescreen or something like that...

Other others use them to show something on screen for troubleshooting a problem.. Picture speaks a thousand words...

jvai

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
aight... i don't know if it was a *slight of hand*, or blind presses, but my nexus is now wth ics.. (spurred on with curiousity pushing me off the roof) ..

it only took less than 10 minutes proper, with the reboot & updates to two apps..

it's semi ugly, looks too busy, BUT, functonal.. with the over sized icons down low, today that tray is with only three icons - phone, application toggle, browser ....... the update happened at work, i test drove the battery / signal strength on the trip home:

the metrorail subway was the perfect test, usually in columbia heights, with gingerbread, i had no problem getting a verizon 3g sig, but with ics, i roamed... also my transfer point at l'enfant plaza where i'm two levels below the surface verizon's 3g is king, but the triagular roam icon persisted..

where my trip on the train would go above ground at benning rd, gingerbread would grab the native sprint 3g almost instantly.. the ics install never adjusted, it hung stubbornly t the roaming signal, til the train went underground again... even wen i arived at the largo station, geting off, & down the **escellator** (where's my spellcheck?) it hadn't adjusted. only when i had clearly exited the metrorail, did the native signal appear..

when i got home i went into the basement to grab the wifi sig, then headed back upstairs, on the 1st level in kitchen cool, two more flights up, on the 3rd flor i plopped on the bed, wifi went down to one miserable bar, but was usable, it winked out once & i found myself back on 3g, but after re-initiating it, wifi persisted.. the oddball was 4g, which was much stronger with full signal strength, ~better than the wifi signal in the same house~

application - i bought a game called spades king, which i play every night before going to bed, on the metrorail, while eating at times.. it no longer opens, un-installed / re-installed, no matter, i hope they update the game, to accomadate ics :'( i left it installed in hopes ....

what's up with the browser? in gingerbread, thee was a side -+ toggle that appear to enlarge the text to page, i lost this in ics? simply spreading the page for the larger text in ics, breaks past the page borders, then you have to do the side to side scroll...

last night, i went into SETTING - DEV OPTION -TRANSITION ANIMATION SCALE <--turn this scaling off

also by bedtyme, the nexus ics install probably had the best deep charge since the installion.. the trip to work via metrorail showed a much more inprved battery life than last night..

usb transfer rate sucks (attachment) & in gingerbread, un-mounting was easily done from the handset itself, with no right clicking the desktop icon to mess with... but with the ics install, i have to un-mount the icon 1st, THEN go to the handset un-do usb storage.. two steps in ics, vs one in gingerbread....

jvai

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

yeterday & this a few moments ago, i kept trying, but only resulting in muting the volume or toggling the screen off.. but every tyme, i was attempting to do this one handed...

thnaks paul627g for **Hold Volume Down + Power for a few seconds.** becuase i fond that i had to do this with both hands & **success**

Reactions: Paul627g

eddieras

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
i updated and my radio is so much worse - can't get wifi anywhere in my house and when i'm next to router i still don't have full signal. also seems buggy -but only at times. sometimes runs smoother other times not- very frustrating. i want to roll back and/or reinstall

ortam

May 18, 2011
Visit site
i updated and my radio is so much worse - can't get wifi anywhere in my house and when i'm next to router i still don't have full signal. also seems buggy -but only at times. sometimes runs smoother other times not- very frustrating. i want to roll back and/or reinstall

I would do a reinstall with one of Peter Alfonso's stock/rooted roms. Wipe your cache and everything. Sometimes you jsut need to start over again.

eddieras

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
thanks - does that mean i have to root the phone? i'm not very tech savvy!
i downloaded the file via here
http://www.androidcentral.com/how-manually-update-your-nexus-s-4g-ice-cream-sandwich#comment-401592

followed all instructions- but as i said radio is horrendous and some days run smooth others not so much. if i reinstall what do you mean about wiping 'everything'? should i wipe the phone completely first? thank you so much for your assistance.

To install a custom ROM like Pete's Alfanso's ROM yes you need to root your device.

Otherwise if your content on trying to resolve issues on ICS you could do a factory reset from within Settings to try and clear things out and see if it improves.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress