(Rant) Anyone else a little ticked off by what AT&T has "done"?

anon(590893)

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
As much as I love this phone (even in its "modified" form), there are just some things that I don't quite understand. And they (somewhat) have to do with AT&T. (RANT)
Let's review:
  • No headphones included (which makes zero profit sense, IMO)
  • Removing some random toggles
  • No Multi-Window (as of two days from now, they'll be the last out of the gate)
  • (Not related to Note exactly, but still) The sudden absence of OTA updates (namely, S3 and JB)
  • The bloat
Now, I know, they're's the whole If you didn't want carrier involvement, you should have gotten a Nexus! and Root. arguments, but, that does not help, because 1) I can't purchase a Nexus right now (and probably not for some time) and 2) I don't need any screw-ups. I think AT&T is starting to get/getting back/staying into the habit of thinking "we carry Android devices just because people want them" and don't actually care (see: previously, iPhone support and now WP8 support in sales and marketing) too much about them. Thoughts? (and yeah, I know about the whole Exynos thing, which I don't care too much about because of "Don't act stupid.")

Last edited:

Cmatt1971

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I hate that they have done it, even though I'm rooted running a custom rom. I also feel we shouldn't have to do it to get what the device should have had out of the box. Carriers have always ruined phones whether it was locking down BT on a dumbphones it removing functions and adding bloatware to smartphones.
Carriers suck for the most part, like it or not, that's just the way it is and most people will not pay full retail for international version or Nexus device. Its just the way it is, and it's getting worse with more and more people switching to smartphones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

Admorris

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
As much as I love this phone (even in its "modified" form), there are just some things that I don't quite understand. And they (somewhat) have to do with AT&T. (RANT)
Let's review:
  • No headphones included (which makes zero profit sense, IMO)
  • Removing some random toggles
  • No Multi-Window (as of two days from now, they'll be the last out of the gate)
  • (Not related to Note exactly, but still) The sudden absence of OTA updates (namely, S3 and JB)
  • The bloat
Now, I know, they're's the whole If you didn't want carrier involvement, you should have gotten a Nexus! and Root. arguments, but, that does not help, because 1) I can't purchase a Nexus right now (and probably not for some time) and 2) I don't need any screw-ups. I think AT&T is starting to get/getting back/staying into the habit of thinking "we carry Android devices just because people want them" and don't actually care (see: previously, iPhone support and now WP8 support in sales and marketing) too much about them. Thoughts? (and yeah, I know about the whole Exynos thing, which I don't care too much about because of "Don't act stupid.")

Not sure why you equate rooting with screw ups. There are several basically stock ROMs with multiwindow support, all bloat removed and all the toggles you can stand. These ROMs are smoother than stock, get better battery life than stock, every bit if not more stable than stock, and more customizable than stock. Jedi X 6.1.2 and Cleanrom 3.3 come to mind. As far as headphones (or lack thereof), that is just a silly issue to be upset over. I'm guessing you have a set from a past phone in your house. If not, go plunk down $10 and get a better pair than what Samsung would have sent you in the first place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking Samsung & ATT aren't getting along which is why updates are scarce.
It must of pissed Sammy off big time when ATT scraped their packaging pulling headphones.

anon(590893)

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
  1. I probably should have cleared that up. While I certainly am not new to rooting (see my previous post during my Inspire days), there's just gonna be times when something might happen.
  2. As much as I would love to apply that logic, it's actually really hard to find headphones with inline mics that have excellent compatiblility to the phone!

EDIT: this is in re: Admorris

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Actually, the Klipsch earbuds sound great. They are more expensive, but extremely enjoyable.

I, now am running root and custom also. I am running clean 3.3 and it is great! I didn't want to root, but today I needed some multi taking features at work. This is what makes me livid. This is not some kind of game for many of us. We selected this device for a very specific "purpose" I am thinking. I could be alone on that, however, at least for me, it was for my career. I don't have time to play games with the manufacturer or provider. The feature set was advertised, they were paid their price, and didn't deliver on their end.

So yes, I do not appreciate at t or Samsung at the moment.

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Another example of Carrier / Manufacturer "Broken Arrow" syndrome. The Smart Dock and the 50% off email for any accessory when you register for your new note2. I have 6 backorders. Whens it coming in-IdK How long- IDK. Speak to Skupervisor - He DK.
Warning if the coupon expires before they receive your item you SOL and item reverts to normal price.
Here's the kicker. Their out of stock to the consumer however the Carriers have them at full price. So instead Of 50 they becom 100.00. When you ask them about whats going on and "Samsung" now they become 2 separate entities. .
Try putting your hands on a smart dock. Thats absolutely crazy, thats not marketing, thats behaving like a Sheister...the Smart dock is smoooth, multi purpose and make a great stand. But....no one at Sammy knows anything. If you dont know anything then your stupid. Look what those stupid folkd built..The Galaxy Note2. The Lamborghhinni of smartnphones

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I'd preferred a solid and well tested build instead. Issues in production costs alot more than development. ATT takes their time to QA their build thoroughly so that worth the wait. Patient.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Actually, the Klipsch earbuds sound great. They are more expensive, but extremely enjoyable.

I, now am running root and custom also. I am running clean 3.3 and it is great! I didn't want to root, but today I needed some multi taking features at work. This is what makes me livid. This is not some kind of game for many of us. We selected this device for a very specific "purpose" I am thinking. I could be alone on that, however, at least for me, it was for my career. I don't have time to play games with the manufacturer or provider. The feature set was advertised, they were paid their price, and didn't deliver on their end.

So yes, I do not appreciate at t or Samsung at the moment.

There was no advertisement if this phone having multiview prior to launch. I think it was pretty well know that it would come in a follow on update like it has for most models except Verizon.

At least you were able to root and install a custom ROM to give you features you wanted.

I want the update also and hopefully we will have it soon.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Even when multiview update comes it more then likely will be 4.1.1 base like T-mobile due for release on Dec 19.
Official ATT 4.1.2 wont likely be seen for 4-6 months....heck maybe even longer lol

The true fix.
Don't cheat yourself waiting for Samsung / Carriers to provide they suc.
Root your devices and install custom roms that are built with International 4.1.2 base......Cleanrom For example - [ROM][12/15] CleanROM 3.3 -★| Aroma! | JB 4.1.2! | Multi-View! | Fast! | Clean! |★- - xda-developers

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
It could be worst.. you could have a carrier logo on the home button! :p
So true or have one that starts with a S providing data creep and CS stink to high heaven....been there did that for 7 years making move form their GN2 version to ATTs
Bottom line to ATT cry users , you don't know how good you have it
We have the most up to date International rom ports available...We are the first to get CM10 port as well.
Take lookse on what your missing out on - http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1874

Last edited:

F123D

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Regarding the headphones, I called AT&T to complain about that since all the other carriers offered them. Person I spoke to apologized and offered me $15 credit towards my next bill. I was fine with that.

UsedName

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Been on CleanRom for a few days now and love it!
It made my phone better like sooo many other say.:cool:

As for AT&T lousy way to treat a great phone but awesome coverage and speed... that's why I'm with them.;)