Getting my GSII tomorrow. Any suggestions?

cajunaggie87

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Alright guys, after going swimming in the Gulf of Mexico with my HTC Inspire 4G, I'm getting my GSII in the mail tomorrow. Any suggestions as far as:

Cases
Settings for best performance or battery life
Apps to download
or anything else

OhmEye

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Have fun with your powerful new assistant! I use the CaseMate case for the phone's protection and ease of handling and am happy with it. I'd like to find a nice holster that the phone+case will fit in. Here are some apps that I really enjoy:

Superuser
Titanium Backup
TuneIn Radio
TeamViewer
SMS Backup+
Poweramp
Perfect Keyboard
NoLED
My Tracks
Google Sky Map
Flashlight
ES File Explorer
Compass
Cardiograph
Call Control
Battery
ASTRO
Algeo Calculator
go41c
BibleReader
WiFi File Transfer
Art Of Glow
PF Voicemail+
Osmos HD

Reactions: cajunaggie87

NEDNERBISH

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
There's an awesome super slim case on ebay called the s-line case for the gs2 and it comes with 5 screen protectors and a car charger for 7$!!!!! I'm super happy w it!! My phone is still super slim. I don't even feel it in my pocket. Get a few black markets, you'll get any app for free black market is my favorite them applanet. Also for music download mp3 downloaded. Its.free and I guarantee you can put in the hardest music to find and ityll be on it! Enjoy!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Angelsnecropolis

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I got an otter knock off for 30$ in my local mall. It's been a sturdy case. But ugly and ruins the slim and sexy look of the phone.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II

cajunaggie87

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I ordered this case:

Amazon.com: Snap-on Rubber Coated Case for Samsung Galaxy S II AT&T i777, Black: Electronics

It should be coming in today. I had a case very similar to this one for my Samsung Focus and I really liked it. I do not really like the soft rubber cases, but sometimes the hard ones add too much bulk. For my Samsung Focus, the case I had did a very good job of protecting it (from scratches and such) without adding a lot of bulk. It also provided the extra lip around the screen so that I can place the phone faced down without worrying about the screen.

I'm hoping this case does the same for my GS2. And, if I don't like it, I only spent a couple bucks with shipping and all.

estabien

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I've always bought gel cases personally.

For me they've given me enough protection (once I dropped my iPod with a gel case on it on the cement and the case didn't even get scratched!)

I got mine for about seven dollars on Amazon but idk if anyone here will like it because it has an argyle pattern on it... imo it's really cute but it's not for many people.

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
OhmEye.

Looking at some of the apps you listed, wifi transfer, do all my devices have to have this app, in order to send photos,etc?
Are you able to transfer from android phone/tablet to laptop running windows seven?

TIA :)

Angelsnecropolis

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I have 83 apps installed. Here are a few I couldn?t do without and why:

Alarm Clock Xtreme Free - Set unlimited alarms, schedule them per day, week, minute.
Profile Scheduler - This allows you to automatically change your phones volume and silence settings and more at specified times and dates. Ex: At 2pm Sun-Thurs my phone automatically goes to vibrate only mode because thats when I arrive to work. This app is used constantly throughout the day.
QuickPic - This app has been my favorite pic management app so far. The best feature is that anytime I download or take a new pic, the folder that contains that pic is automatically brought to the top of the list of folders. So I never have to hunt for the image I just downloaded or took with my camera.
SwiftKey X keyboard (currently using the Swiftkey 3 Beta) - This keyboard, hands down, has the best autocorrect algorythms out there. I've tried several different keyboards and I kept coming back to this one. Smart Keyboard I like because it has the custom smiley button but Swiftkey X is the best for heavy texters like me. I bought this one.
Tapatalk Forum App - A really great app for keeping up with the forums you post on regularly.
YouTube - No need to explain this one...
ASTRO File Manager - Really good file management app
Auto SMS - Set up custom made messages to be automatically sent when enabled. Can be set to turn on/off at specific times/dates. When I'm sleeping I have this enabled to say I'm sleeping if someone texts me.
Badass Battery Monitor - Just the best battery monitor I've used so far. I've tried a few.
Battery Health Bar Widget - Zelda heart style battery widget
Dolphin Browser - Just better than stock browser in my experience
Camera ZOOM FX - I've tried many camera apps and this has been the best so far.
DropBox - I like to transfer files between my phone and computer easily. I use this. Also, my girlfriend has it installed on her computer with my acct logged in so we can easily share files.
GO Launcher EX - The best launcher that I've tried. I did try several and this had the most features and customization options.
GO SMS Pro - Again, I've tried several SMS apps and this was the best in my opinion
K-9 Mail - This has been a very good email handling app
Movies by Flixster- I use this often when I'm searching for new movie releases in my area. It will pinpoint your location, you choose a movie, and it will show you a list of the nearest theaters and its time and then the next nearest and its times. Its great for planning to see a movie.
Advanced Clock Widget - I searched for and tried so many different clock widget apps and none suited my needs for a large enough digital clock with the date and time the right size and it not be too big or small.... except for this one.
Multicon Widget - This handy widget allows you to put multiple app icons into single spaces or multiple spaces. Want to fit 5 or 6 apps in a grid column that normally only holds 4? This app lets you do that.
Price Check by Amazon - Since I shop online mostly I like to easily compare prices in store. So I use this often when out shopping.

Reactions: cajunaggie87

cajunaggie87

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Just an update on that case I ordered, I suggest that you stay away from it.

It was very similar to the case that I had for my Samsung Focus, but the main problem is that it didn't fit properly. It was just badly made. It did snap on all sides, and the phone basically wobbled inside of it. It also looked like it was basically spray painted. Very cheap.

But, the good thing is that I only paid like 2 bucks total for it. I just ordered this case:

Amazon.com: Hybrid Design Charcoal Grey/Black Snap On Protector Case for (AT&T VERSION) Samsung Galaxy S II / S2 + 4.5 inches Screen/Lens Cleaning Cloth: Cell Phones & Accessories

Hopefully it will work better.

Fryguy128

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
You can get better battery life with a Q-cell 3600mah extended battery for $20 on Amazon. I currently. tly have one and my battery is lasting for me all day with 10% left.

Kengineer2

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Favorite Apps:
FoxFi (free tethering), Tasker (scripting). Astrid tasks (todo lists), Evernote/skitch (note taking), SketchIt (Pictionary-like game)

cajunaggie87

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it came with 2.3.6. The battery life has been pretty good though. Definitely better than my HTC Inspire 4G while it was stock.

I haven't rooted my GS2 yet. I want to wait until it's out of warranty first. It's working fine as it is right now anyway.

Reactions: j510

cajunaggie87

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Still enjoying it? Looking at one myself.

Yeah I'm loving it. I like it much better than my HTC Inspire 4G. The screen is much better. Battery life has been fine. It weighs a heck of a lot less as well. The TouchWiz interface took a bit getting used to. I'm considering rooting, but I'm not sure yet.

The camera is much better than the Inspire too. It has a lot of really cool features. If you are considering getting the GS2, I would highly recommend it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress