Help!Samsung Galaxy S3 (AT&T) rooted, not sure if I have CWM and I want to get an OTA update (4.1.2)

Kiran Chandra

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Help!Samsung Galaxy S3 (AT&T) rooted, not sure if I have CWM and I want to get an OTA update (4.1.2)

Hey guys I have a GS3 at&t and I am rooted and I think I have stock recovery (anybody know how to tell for sure?) When I turn off the phone then do power button, vol up and home button it gets me into this thing called android recovery ( which I'm assuming is the stock recovery). I want to go back to all stock except root. When I tried the 4.1.2 at&t update (the latest one) OTA on my phone it all downloads fine, but then when it reboots it shows the at&t logo on a black background and says updating but then at exactly 25% it said update failed. Anybody know the problem? I had cyanogenmod with 4.2.2 and I used mobile Odin to flash the stock Samsung at&t firmware (if that is relevant) and before I did have clockwork recovery (which I know that you can't to ota with a custom recovery) but I thought I got rid of clockwork because I flashed it with mobile Odin. Could anything else be causing the problem? Please help!!! I'm not new to rooting, but I'm not and expert (I have successfully rooted and installed cwm on my gs3 but bricked my kindle fire xD) once again plz help and thanks so much!!!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Help!Samsung Galaxy S3 (AT&T) rooted, not sure if I have CWM and I want to get an OTA update (4.

Hey guys I have a GS3 at&t and I am rooted and I think I have stock recovery (anybody know how to tell for sure?) When I turn off the phone then do power button, vol up and home button it gets me into this thing called android recovery ( which I'm assuming is the stock recovery). I want to go back to all stock except root. When I tried the 4.1.2 at&t update (the latest one) OTA on my phone it all downloads fine, but then when it reboots it shows the at&t logo on a black background and says updating but then at exactly 25% it said update failed. Anybody know the problem? I had cyanogenmod with 4.2.2 and I used mobile Odin to flash the stock Samsung at&t firmware (if that is relevant) and before I did have clockwork recovery (which I know that you can't to ota with a custom recovery) but I thought I got rid of clockwork because I flashed it with mobile Odin. Could anything else be causing the problem? Please help!!! I'm not new to rooting, but I'm not and expert (I have successfully rooted and installed cwm on my gs3 but bricked my kindle fire xD) once again plz help and thanks so much!!!

Welcome to the to forums!
When you root, you lose the ability to update via OTA. That is why the update fails. In order to update you can either flash the updated stock ROM, or you can flash a custom recovery, and then flash a custom ROM.

Kiran Chandra

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Help!Samsung Galaxy S3 (AT&T) rooted, not sure if I have CWM and I want to get an OTA update (4.

Can I just use Voodoo OTA keeper to temp unroot, get the ota update, then reroot?

Posted via Android Central App

Kiran Chandra

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

I thought rooting for doesn't have to do with an ota update, only a custom recovery.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I thought rooting for doesn't have to do with an ota update, only a custom recovery.

Rooting typically changes stairs to modified and stops OTA from happening.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Can I just use Voodoo OTA keeper to temp unroot, get the ota update, then reroot?

You could, be advised OTA updates have been know to at best, break root access if not brick the device.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site

why when you can flash 4.1.2 roms that are better?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Or even 4.2 ROMs.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site

or even 4.3 like CM2 I have flashed

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

or even 4.3 like CM2 I have flashed

Last I knew CM didn't have a 4.3 version yet. But it has been a while since I looked, too.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Kiran Chandra

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

Because I get such terrible battery life with Cyanogenmod and it also randomly restarts and doesnt feel very stable overall.

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site

you would be surprised how great the battery life is with CM2. Best I have ever experienced with any ROM to include stock

Kiran Chandra

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

Hey I have another question. Do I need to clear my binary counter in order to get an ota update? Thanks

Robert Cotton

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site

i Have the same question. I have stock rooted 4.1.1 with cwm recovery. where can I find the stock recovery so I can flash it and accept the OTA update to 4.1.2

edgar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

i Have the same question. I have stock rooted 4.1.1 with cwm recovery. where can I find the stock recovery so I can flash it and accept the OTA update to 4.1.2

I have stock rooted 4.1.1 with CWM recovery as well and my phone is attempting OTA update

I had a custom rom installed but decided to do revert back to a nandroid recover I did at first root (my phone would auto shut off and would not boot up)

I dont think I should accept the OTA as I have potential to brick it?