Help my wife not get an iPhone...

farbster

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking for a phone on AT&T that is android, yet about the same width as the new iPhone. She's using her Galaxy S (captivate) and she is interested in a phone that is not wide. Something that is easy to hold in the hand. She saw the OneX and thought that was pretty big.

Hoping to keep the apple phones out of my house.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
A few things you might want to share with her to stop her from going the iOS route.

1. Once you get used to the 4.8" screen on the GS3 it will be VERY difficult to own a phone like the iP5 or 4S that has a 3.5" or 4" screen. Reading web pages, watching videos, etc. is SO much more amazing on a larger screen

2. The GS3 while large is still very usable and not nearly like the Note due to the slim profile

3. When I got my iPhone 3G I had to exchange it FIVE times to get one where the battery would charge properly.. The battery on the GS3 is removable and bigger than the battery in the iPhone

4. Motion/Gestures. As you probably know, the GS3 has a TON of motion gestures that range from muting a call by turning the phone face down to unlocking it by the phone seeing and hearing your voice, not to mention TONS of voice enabled apps including Google Search.

5. Price. You CANNOT negotiate any deals on Apple devices. Period. As a long time ATT customer I got an amazing deal on my GS3 and they also waived the upgrade activation fee. If you're willing to do some negotiation you'll get a great deal by calling customer service. You will NOT get any deals by going to the ATT store however.

DasWarlock

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
Try telling her if she wants to support a co that will sue to try to get ahead and uses pat stuff without permission lol or u can tell he the iphone is good at first but she will hate it after the 3rd update cause the phone starts slowing down

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Smaller sort of defeats the purpose of owning an Android handset :p. However, I understand your wife's concern, but I don't know of any good Android phones on AT&T that are smaller. Motorola Atrix HD looks to be your best bet.

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Come on ChrisXe, Android itself is not good because of the large screen, but because it can be customized, personalized, and offers features in the OS that Apple only wishes they had. The iPhone 5 feels like a four year old phone in terms of the OS, and is only better because of the faster hardware. On the flip side, if you installed Windows 98 on the modern computers, it would be really fast compared to machines from 1998/1999, but it would still be an old OS and UI.

Iamdunne

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
New iphone resembles the look of the HTC Vivid to me, long and narrow.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
If that's what she wants then get it for her. Who cares. I'd get my wife whatever she wants. Let her try them out and see what she feels comfortable with.

Rcrdude64

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Tell her that the iphones don't get reception in the kitchen, you know... That place she should always be anyway. No I'm kidding that's totally screwed up XD

Evil Evo

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Best bet is to go to the actual store and give her the chance to try out various handsets, and decide for herself which one she likes based on in-person hands-on experience.

My wife loves her S2. We did originally buy her a Pantech phone with a slide-out keyboard, and she loved it for a while, but the screen was too small and the phone was too slow. Thankfully the discounted plan I get at work through AT&T throws upgrades at her every few months, so she stopped by a store and went hands-on with a dozen handsets or so, then chose the S2 for her birthday this year and loves it.

She's got another upgrade available and has tried out the S3, but she's very happy with the S2. The S3 would probably be too big for one-handed operation for her.

In my case, my big meaty paws can barely tolerate the Thunderbolt/S2 screen size and I can operate my Nexus 7 one-handed, so the S3 is what I'd love to have. I may have her use her upgrade for an S3 so I can get a month-to-month AT&T contract on it (or maybe even look into StraightTalk SIM or something), and she can continue using her S2. That way, we're locked into only one contract. LOL.