Notification sounds after 4.1.2 update - help!

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
After updating to 4.1.2, I'm happy except for one frustrating thing. Everything that results in a notification being posted in the pull-down list, now results in an audible notification. The sound appears to be the facebook-pop, but its so frustrating having it happen with every single notification of any kind! Has anyone else seen this? I can't find anywhere to turn it off and am getting a bit frustrated - now I find that if I connect my bluetooth speaker and try to listen to Pandora, it mutes the music and makes the pop sound through the speaker every single time too! Grrr!

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
In the App that is doing the notification you can change the Notification sound to none. All notification sounds are set in each individual app Mail, SMS, Yahoo, Facebook ect.

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
In the App that is doing the notification you can change the Notification sound to none. All notification sounds are set in each individual app Mail, SMS, Yahoo, Facebook ect.

That's the problem - it happens for EVERY app which places something in the notification bar. For a few of them, I have specific sounds set, and those sounds play. But for every other app that puts a notification in the bar, I hear the Facebook pop sound, and its not set in the app when I look.

acneves

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I began having the same problem using a CyanogenMod 10.1 nightly (Android 4.2) with my Galaxy S3. I don't know when it began, but it has plagued me for long.

I just erased my phone completely (system + internal sd) and installed CM 10.1.3 (stable), hoping the problem would disappear. When I booted the phone, it really wasn't happening anymore! But, as soon as I installed Gapps and logged into my Google Account (settings backup enabled), the craziness began again!

So it's really linked to some faulty configuration being stored in a Google server somewhere. I'm investigating and will post any accomplishments.

acneves

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I think I managed to get rid of my issue.

Do a factory reset (at least in Galaxy S3 it won't remove your internal sdcard stuff) and, when providing your Google Account settings in Android's first run, be careful to UNCHECK "Restore my Google Account settings" (or whatever is the text on the checkbox that starts with "Restore..."). You can leave the "Backup blablabla" checkbox on.

This will have your phone synced with your Google Account (contacts, email etc) but will not download the faulty settings that were messing with your sounds.

acneves

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Correction: after several hours, my phone downloaded the damn settings from Google and the worse ensued. Back to work.

Last edited:

shysterso

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Just started googling this problem this morning. Something happened over the weekend and I am getting annoying verbal notifications on EVERY SINGLE APP on the phone, new text, new email, etc. TURN IT OFF - HELP!

acneves

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I FOUND THE GODDAMN CAUSE!!!

It's in your Profiles settings. The offending settings are:
  • NOTIFICATION MODE: will make the notification sound for almost any action in your status bar
  • RING MODE: will make your phone ring when battery goes low
I set these to "No override" in every group of every profile you have, but before I set them to "Off" in my active profile. (I deleted all groups, being left only with the "Other" group so it was pretty quick for me).

I don't know what this crap was intended to do, but it's obviously broken.

Hope I help someone. This has been unbelievably disturbing to me for, IDK, six months or more!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty