Rooting your LG Thrive - Manual and Auto Methods

kingv10

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
A way I heard you can root the Phoenix is to sideload z4root, then do a temp root, reboot, enable USB debugging, and use superonelick. Can anyone confirm this method? And if it does work with the Phoenix would it work with the Thrive as well? And one more question, when you connect the phone to Windows 7 in debugging mode are there any drivers I would need? Thanks in advance.

soundsystem00

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Hello. I am having SUCH a tough time with rooting my LG thrive. I am pretty good with computers / phones but I am stumped! I signed up for this forum just to ask this question so please, help!

To the person that rooted their thrive successfully, Can you msg me please or email me at

mattlumpkinz@gmail.com
?

I used super one click and it is horrible. It freezes not even 50 seconds after clicking root. I tried with the phone in usb mode and I tried with the phone not in usb mode. I tried with rageagainstthecage or whatever. Nothing. What am I doing wrong? Is there another step that I am missing?

What exactly am I risking by rooting the phone? If I mess up, is the phone permanently unusable? I can't afford to break it, but I have a huge folder FULL of apps that I cannot use because of the ATT non market app block. Please help me, guys.

Thanks,
Matt

n2alltheworld

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Hello. I am having SUCH a tough time with rooting my LG thrive. I am pretty good with computers / phones but I am stumped! I signed up for this forum just to ask this question so please, help!

To the person that rooted their thrive successfully, Can you msg me please or email me at

mattlumpkinz@gmail.com
?

I used super one click and it is horrible. It freezes not even 50 seconds after clicking root. I tried with the phone in usb mode and I tried with the phone not in usb mode. I tried with rageagainstthecage or whatever. Nothing. What am I doing wrong? Is there another step that I am missing?

What exactly am I risking by rooting the phone? If I mess up, is the phone permanently unusable? I can't afford to break it, but I have a huge folder FULL of apps that I cannot use because of the ATT non market app block. Please help me, guys.

Thanks,
Matt
Download Super One Click latest version 1.9.1

Download Super One Click Version 1.6.5

Copy the rageagainstthecage exploit from SOC 1.6.5 and paste it into the exploits folder in SOC 1.9.1

Then give it a whurl, this is what I did and I was able to gain temp shell root.

Remember that @ the SOC menu you should click shell root not root.

Hope this helps! cheers! :cool:

marcandroid

May 2, 2011
Visit site
dinlaca:

I tried to root my Thrive using superoneclick 1.9 but was unsuccessful. So I downloaded 1.7 as you suggested.

After getting temporary root with 1.7 i get the message prompting me to reboot my device to remove temp root.

Question#1 do i reboot at that point or wait as your instructions suggest?

Question#2 after attempting to root w/o rebooting from temp root above and getting the #. At adb shell, I enter the command "mount -o remount, rw-t yaffs2/system/system but adb responds with a message: "mount-o not found" what does this mean and how do i move on from here?

Question# 3 After doing some research on a root for the Optimus T i was wondering can i substitute the Optimus T command: mount-o remount,rw-t yaffs2/dev/block/mtdblock4/system for mount-o remount,rw-t yaffs2/system/system?

Thanks a lot in advance because i have made serious progress in learning some of the rooting lingo.

sd_matto

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
dinlaca:

I tried to root my Thrive using superoneclick 1.9 but was unsuccessful. So I downloaded 1.7 as you suggested.

After getting temporary root with 1.7 i get the message prompting me to reboot my device to remove temp root.

My manual instructions are a little dated. Though my instructions still work (and probably are what goes on behind the scenes with any rooting methodology), Gingerbreak.apk is an amazingly simple method to root and unroot as wanted (and what I use on my Phoenix - prefer it to the Thrive for color/scratch-showing reasons). The post immediately above this one links out to the right thread in this forum that discusses that.

Question#1 do i reboot at that point or wait as your instructions suggest?

Follow instructions. Wait and don't reboot (until you have executed instructions under adb shell as root user).

Question#2 after attempting to root w/o rebooting from temp root above and getting the #. At adb shell, I enter the command "mount -o remount, rw-t yaffs2/system/system but adb responds with a message: "mount-o not found" what does this mean and how do i move on from here?

Follow instructions. Dont put a space between "remount," and "rw", and you may need to reinsert space between "rw" and "-t". Your best bet is to just cut and paste the text in the instructions.

Question# 3 After doing some research on a root for the Optimus T i was wondering can i substitute the Optimus T command: mount-o remount,rw-t yaffs2/dev/block/mtdblock4/system for mount-o remount,rw-t yaffs2/system/system?

Not sure on this one. Probably not, as from what I remember (it's been a while since I had my Thrive, but from what I remember (and from what I posted elsewhere), the /system mount point for the Thrive is NOT /mtdblock4).

Thanks a lot in advance because i have made serious progress in learning some of the rooting lingo.

Best of luck to you.

zchapman

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I just rooted my sister-in-laws LG Phoenix, getting ready to root my brothers. I couldn't get SuperOneClick or Z4Root to work, so I used Gingerbreak: SUCESS! Download ASTRO File Manager in the Marketplace first. Then download Gingerbreak v1.2.apk 295K from: Ginger Break.apk - Download. Plug your phone into your comp and have Debugging and Mass Storage enable. Put the Gingerbreak on your SD card, not in a folder just in there. Unplug from computer. Open ASTRO, open File Manager, scroll to the bottom and you will see GingerBreak -v1.20. Click it and use Open App Manager, hit install. Use Gingerbreak, it will root your phone and then reboot when finished. Once your phone boots up it will stay on the LG picture for a few minutes (make sure you have sufficient battery before doing this), it will eventually boot up VIOLA your ROOTED! You'll find SuperUser and have full contamination. Good luck!:):):):):)