About unlocking the T-Mobile G1

ReuvenNY

Dec 19, 2008
Visit site
My wife and I are planning to get each an T-Mobile G1 phone early February. In the second week of March we plan to travel and would like to be able to use the G1 while abroad.
I know that T-Mobile has a policy of unlocking their phones upon request after 90 into the contact. I am trying to figure out what my options are and would appreciate some input.

* Does anyone know if there are any circumstances where T- Mobile will unlock a phone sooner then in 90 days? Any suggestions as to whom and how to contact?

* Alternately I would like to unlock one or both phones on my own. I see quite few vendors offering this service for fees ranging from $1.99 to $25.00: is paying more assures me of a more reliability?

I wanted to post some links, but being new I was not allowed...

Any opinions? Any help will be appreciated.

Dr. Tyrell

Oct 28, 2008
Visit site
My wife and I are planning to get each an T-Mobile G1 phone early February. In the second week of March we plan to travel and would like to be able to use the G1 while abroad. ...
Two G1's! Well, I don't have direct experience with unlocking them but from what I've read:

- A sympathetic Customer Care rep might give you an unlock code before the 90-day wait period. Worth a try.

- You can buy an unlocked "developer phone" for around $425 and use it like a standard phone. You would be on your own if it breaks but they have a special back which looks nice and maybe you want to try developing your own apps. ;)

- You can add T-Mobile's "WorldClass International Roaming" to your account before the trip although as you undoubtedly know roaming overseas can be expensive. If it's a relatively short trip with little phone use that can be a good option.

- If all else fails you can rent a phone for overseas calls and use your G1 for Wi-Fi only.

Have a great trip!

sonali

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I received an unlock code the other day, after only 45 days or so. The first time I called T-mobile about it I acknowledged that it hadn't been 90 days yet but asked if I could have a code anyway. The woman said no. So I called again later and just asked for a code without any prefacing, and voila! Unlocked phone.

If you are going to try using it in Ireland, however, good luck. I'm having endless problems with it here.

CarrierUnlock

Wireless Unlocking
Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
We can always unlock it for you if your customer service rep cannot do so for you, but we always advise going to your carrier beforehand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non