T-Mobile Galaxy S4 Unlock

agunjal

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi There,

I recently picked up a T-Mobile S4 for full price. I was tired of being tied to a contract. I am traveling to Thailand next week and want this phone to be unlocked. I am getting the run around from T-Mobile even though I paid full price.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can unlock this? I really would like to buy a local SIM card

AT&T said if I paid full price they would unlock it for me...so I might switch but from what I understand they are missing one LTE Band and the bootloader is locked...

Thanks in advance

LoganK

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I recently picked up a T-Mobile S4 for full price. I was tired of being tied to a contract. I am traveling to Thailand next week and want this phone to be unlocked. I am getting the run around from T-Mobile even though I paid full price.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can unlock this? I really would like to buy a local SIM card

Are you going in store or calling the support line (611)? I've called the support number a few times, and they knew exactly what I wanted and executed the request very quickly.

I realize their policy changed to become much worse, but they shouldn't put up any fight if you've paid off your phone.

agunjal

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I have been trying for the past 3 days and the request keeps getting rejected. Looks like AT&T is going to be my only choice since they will unlock it ASAP

lasooner

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I go to SE Asia every year. I'll be getting an S4 before my next trip and will want to get it unlocked. I can tell you with certainty that it is very easy to get a phone unlocked in Thailand. Those guys know what they are doing and they do it at a fair price. You didn't say where you are going in Thailand but, if all else fails, take you're T-Mo phone and get it unlocked there.

Here are two places that will do it in Bangkok. Pantip Plaza on Petchaburi Road and MBK at the National Stadium exit on the BTS monrail. Your hotel will definitely know these two places. I'll be getting the ATT version of the S4. I don't know what a locked bootloader is? I won't root my phone but I want to get it unlocked to use SIM cards while traveling to other countries. Is a locked bootloader a problem for me? The S4 is a quadband phone isn't it? I'm not sure what you mean by the phone is missing one LTE band. Have a great trip.

agunjal

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Ah. I didn't think of that. I am going to Pukhet. But I have a 20 hour layover in Tokyo. I bet I could find someone there also. Yes the bootloader will allow you to root. This is what I meant by the AT&T is missing a BAND...Its the LTE ones......but probably doesnt matter now...

T-Mobile GS4 Radios : LTE Bands: 1/2/4/5/7/17 (2100/1900/1700/850/2600/700) MHz; HSPA+/UMTS: 850/1700/1900/2100 MHz; GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
AT&T GS4 Radios: 4G-LTE Band 4 and 17- 4G HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul - 3G - UMTS 850/1900/2100MHz - GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz

lasooner

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the LTE bands matter but I'm not a technical person. I want a quadband phone which will enable me to buy local SIM cards in nearly any country. The T-Mo and ATT versions apparently will both work on any GSM network.

In Phuket there is an IT section on the bottom floor of the Big C shopping mall. I've been there but it's been a long while. I'm sure you can get the phone unlocked in Phuket. If I recall correctly the trip from Narita airport to Tokyo is 2 hours each way by fast train. Thai prices for unlocking will definitely be lower than Tokyo prices. Also, Japan is not GSM. I doubt you'll be able to make calls with your phone in Japan.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi There,

AT&T said if I paid full price they would unlock it for me...so I might switch but from what I understand they are missing one LTE Band and the bootloader is locked...

Thanks in advance

I was told that if you purchased the phone out right from T mobile they will give you the unlock code right then and there.

If I go that route, I am going to ask before I purchase.

hnmann

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I bought tmobile galaxy s4 at full price, but I am suspecting it is locked until 40 days over. And God knows how long it will take after.
I am traveling overseas within 20 days anyway. Do you think I could unlock it elsewhere, should I keep it or should I simply return?

can you email me your suggestion? my email hnmann@hotmail.com

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I bought tmobile galaxy s4 at full price, but I am suspecting it is locked until 40 days over. And God knows how long it will take after.
I am traveling overseas within 20 days anyway. Do you think I could unlock it elsewhere, should I keep it or should I simply return?

You could return it, and then repurchase it again. But, this time REQUEST it be unlocked before you pay for it..It seems that will have to be truthful at that point. Either tell you they will, they won't or they can't.

- - - Updated - - -

You could return it, and then repurchase it again. But, this time REQUEST it be unlocked before you pay for it..It seems that will have to be truthful at that point. Either tell you they will, they won't or they can't.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
You can get your Samsung galaxy s4 unlocked from Superunlockcodes.com where you just have to submit your IMEi number,country and network to them...They provide affordable unlock codes...

That means one would have to pay the full price of the phone, and then pay the fee to get it unlocked. Trying to find all my options before I buy.
This thread is has been very helpful. I want to buy it outright too, and have T Mobile as a carrier. From reading this thread, looks like my best option would be to buy the phone factory unlocked, then get a sim card from T Mobile.

WhosAsking

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend going to the factory for this one.

The reason is that the US carriers cannot use LTE Band #3 (1800MHz). Though it's the most common band internationally, in North America I believe it's reserved for military applications.

The US-branded phones each trade in Band #3 for their preferred LTE Band. That's why the T-Mobile phone uses Band #4 (I have this phone as well and chose it after careful consideration). The AT&T phone uses either band #4 or band #17 while Verizon uses Band #13. So if you're going to be using your phone internationally, examine the LTE bands carefully.

Simply put, getting the phone from the factory will mean NO LTE support from any of the major carriers because the factory LTE bands are 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, & 20. No US carrier supports ANY of those bands.

You mention going to Thailand, so check for support for Band #1. The T-Mobile phone DOES support Band #1. I don't know about the others.

robert_in_la

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
AT&T will not unlock it without 30 days of service, if the device is paid in full. If not they will make you wait 90 days.

T-Mobile will unlock the device for post paid customers after 40 days. For prepaid they will make you wait 60-90 days.

- - - Updated - - -

40 days is correct as I just got phone unlocked by them.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
AT&T will not unlock it without 30 days of service, if the device is paid in full. If not they will make you wait 90 days.

T-Mobile will unlock the device for post paid customers after 40 days. For prepaid they will make you wait 60-90 days.

- - - Updated - - -

40 days is correct as I just got phone unlocked by them.

I think the 40 days is to make sure a customer does use their (T Mobile)service for at least one month..

Also, I notice the full price at T Mobile for the S4 has went down from $629, to $579... Do I smell the 32gb around the corner??

I have been trying my damest to wait for the 32gb. Even going PHONELESS for several days.. :(

robert_in_la

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I think the 40 days is to make sure a customer does use their (T Mobile)service for at least one month..

Also, I notice the full price at T Mobile for the S4 has went down from $629, to $579... Do I smell the 32gb around the corner??

I have been trying my damest to wait for the 32gb. Even going PHONELESS for several days.. :(
You're correct. That's why AT&T also makes people have service with them as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member