Issues after 4.4.4 updated

Orlando Hammonds

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I installed the T-Mobile Android update on yesterday. Today my SD card is corrupted, all my pictures and music are gone. Keys asking me to format SD card. Anyone else have this issue? Please help.

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Uh-oh. I've seen various posts in the past about this. Theoretically, the external SD card should not be affected when doing system updates or even factory resets, but every now and then, it seems to mess things up--typically on Samsung devices. This is obviously too late, but I would recommend to people that they unmount and remove the SD before doing either.

Have you tried inserting the SD directly into your computer? Is it messed up there as well? If not, backup all of your SD data to the computer now. Then run chkdsk: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...guide-using-chkdsk-fix-corrupted-sd-card.html

Orlando Hammonds

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I did insert into a laptop and the card was unreadable. Seeing that the card is only a couple of months old I called T-Mobile Support. The tech informed me that the card was corrupted and directed me to a free recovery tool that successfully recovered all my files.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rirruto

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I can no longer edit or delete pics (on SD card) using Quickpic. I had no problem doing this on 4.4.2. So annoying.

Rirruto

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Which version do you have? Is it fully updated to the latest version (3.7.2)? If that version didn't fix things, email the developer. He's always improving the app. nanling.z@gmail.com
Yes, I am on 3.7.2. I didn't bother to contact the dev because I specifically get an error message that says:

"Failed" Android don't allow app to write the external storage since 4.4! We can't solve this problem!"

What I don't understand is if this is a KitKat issue, why didn't I have this problem when I was on 4.4.2. What I also don't understasnd is why I'm able to delete/edit pics on the SD card using Cyanogen Gallery (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...id=com.cyngn.gallerynext&hl=en&token=Jj34JK5t) with no problem. I would use Cyanogen Gallery primarily but they don't seem to have a feature to rotate your pictures and save it (without using a different app)

Last edited:

Trayjay

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
The behavior you describe may be caused by a change in memory handling implemented in the Android OS spec from V4.3. I'm not a tech expert, but have read some of the posts. From v 4.3, Android changes the way SD (and all) memory is handled: it "forces" specific permissions. The net effect is that only a program that wrote the SD data can access or change (or erase) that data. This change was described as done to improve the issue of data loss on APP removal. With multiple Apps able to access the same SD data (v 4.2.2 and earlier), removing one app might destroy data that is also being used by some other app. The techies noted this change, and that there would be issues, up to a year ago - I found some threads from ~Jan '14 and earlier that anticipated the issue you describe, where one app that used to access SD data no longer can after 4.3 or later is installed. I'd guess some developers may be able to rewrite their apps to overcome this issue, but time frame seems uncertain.

TrtlePwr

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I updated to 4.4 yesterday, and now have multiple issues. My phone will no longer connect to any of my Bluetooth devices. It connects briefly, then the error message pops up, "Unfortunately, Bluetooth share has stopped". Also, all YouTube videos are half grey, even after re-installing the app. I wish I never would've updated!

mkmck

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I updated yesterday, and the stock email app on my S4 has stopped working. When I open it up it's verrrry slow loading, and when I try to open an individual email, the app crashes. Wish I left it the way it was...this "update" does nothing for me at all.

BensMeister

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I updated yesterday, and the stock email app on my S4 has stopped working. When I open it up it's verrrry slow loading, and when I try to open an individual email, the app crashes. Wish I left it the way it was...this "update" does nothing for me at all.
Same here. I'm going to clear the mail data and start over. Not cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress