CleanROM 4.1

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
What's the difference between cleanROM 4.1 se and De? I know it's standard and developer edition. But should that matter which one I install?

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Well while I'm at it, I've seen other posts with people having issues installing cleanROM. I'm trying to install cleanROM 4.1, I downloaded the file, placed it into the same folder as all my pictures on my computer(which I would assume would be the sd card folder) but when I go into recovery I can't find the ROM. I'm, using twrp recovery and I believe I've followed everything step by step up until installing the rom.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
The dev version uses a more stock feel, and has less sense. Still has enough for the camera, but has several elements pulled. It uses a different launcher, so you lose a bit of Sense customizations like the lock screen, some pop ups, etc.

You did not unzip the ROM file? I would make a new folder called ROM and put it in there. This should be the easy part :)

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: adamtalife

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
No I didn't unzip the file. I'll make the folder when I get the chance to get to the computer. Thanks for the clarification

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Ok, you're right that was easy. So I got cleanROM 4.1 standard installed. Every things good, nice and smooth. I like the changes that have been made. But I'm having an issue figuring out how to install mods for this ROM, multitasking 2/battery percent.
Any help on that would be great!

Also, I noticed after I flashed, my phone storage has went down to 4gb. I'm aware the flash takes memory, but shouldn't it replace the existing memory stored instead of adding on top?

4aa21f61-914c-8ba6.jpg

Last edited:

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
My free space is sitting at 6.6. I had never looked until just now :). What was it on stock? I hate to bring it up now, but did you make a backup of your phone stock?

You will have lost some space from the custom recovery. Doesn't seem like it would make much diligence otherwise . If you do have a backup, make a new backup of clean ROMand restore stock.

The mods arein a separate zip file, and install in the same installer fashion. That zip should be right next to where you got the Rom one from. I can link when I get home if you can't find.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Android Central Forums

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
My free space is sitting at 6.6. I had never looked until just now :). What was it on stock? I hate to bring it up now, but did you make a backup of your phone stock?

You will have lost some space from the custom recovery. Doesn't seem like it would make much diligence otherwise . If you do have a backup, make a new backup of clean ROMand restore stock.

The mods arein a separate zip file, and install in the same installer fashion. That zip should be right next to where you got the Rom one from. I can link when I get home if you can't find.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Android Central Forums

Yea mine was about 6.5 stock also. Flashed the rom and checked after for no reason and realized it went down 2gb. I did do a backup before flashing. I've read too many posts where people couldn't stress that enough lol.

I was gonna ask, can I have more than one backup? For instance, have a back up of cleanROM and also have a backup of stock? Is their a maximum amount of nandroid backups I can have?

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
You can have multiple backups. You SHOULD have multiple backups :). You should also periodically copy them to your computer in case your SD card has an issue.

You can then restore back and forth to test things, though rarely do you ever really need to go back. Every backup, and every ROM file will eat into that free space though :). The 6.6 free I currently have is while running the CleanROM 4.5 Dev beta. It is about half the size of CleanROM, so might account for some of the space difference. Not sure losing much of the Sense interface is worth it, except for those that prefer the stock look.

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Yea I backed up cleanROM standard and flashed developer edition just to see what it was like, come to find out its just the apex launcher.

What came as a surprise though, when I backed up cleanROM, it saved over my stock backup. No big deal seeing as cleanrom seems pretty reliable and I do prefer it. BUT, I can't find an option that allows me to save it to a different folder instead of overwriting my existing backup.

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Here's another question...

I installed the wifi hot spot hack, is that detectable by AT&T? I'm grandfathered in to the unlimited plan and I don't see myself using tether unless I'd be on a road trip with the laptop. So it wouldn't be used more than a couple time a year.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Yea I backed up cleanROM standard and flashed developer edition just to see what it was like, come to find out its just the apex launcher.

What came as a surprise though, when I backed up cleanROM, it saved over my stock backup. No big deal seeing as cleanrom seems pretty reliable and I do prefer it. BUT, I can't find an option that allows me to save it to a different folder instead of overwriting my existing backup.

There should be multiple files in that folder. Unless you happened to name them the same thing on accident, you should be able to have as many backups as space allows.

ATT can't detect those hotspot hacks. They are great for wifi tablets, and those other rare occasions when you need it.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Here's another question...

I installed the wifi hot spot hack, is that detectable by AT&T? I'm grandfathered in to the unlimited plan and I don't see myself using tether unless I'd be on a road trip with the laptop. So it wouldn't be used more than a couple time a year.

I haven't been detected ;)

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok, you're right that was easy. So I got cleanROM 4.1 standard installed. Every things good, nice and smooth. I like the changes that have been made. But I'm having an issue figuring out how to install mods for this ROM, multitasking 2/battery percent.
Any help on that would be great!

Also, I noticed after I flashed, my phone storage has went down to 4gb. I'm aware the flash takes memory, but shouldn't it replace the existing memory stored instead of adding on top?

Click to view quoted image

I had 9.93 gb after I flashed from stock. Check what else is hanging around in your hd. One thing I did on accident was open the clean rom zip file lol.

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way I can rename my backups? Right now they're titled as dates, and I'm using 2 roms but 4 different types all backed up. I rebooted to recovery and can't find an option to rename.

rdxhd

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way I can rename my backups? Right now they're titled as dates, and I'm using 2 roms but 4 different types all backed up. I rebooted to recovery and can't find an option to rename.

You can re-name them using a file explorer like ES file explorer or astro. I typically moved them from my phone and put them back when I want to restore that way I am saving some space.

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Awesome thanks. Seeing as I already have backups, can I delete the original rom and mods without it affecting the backup?

rdxhd

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Do you mean the zip file for the ROM you installed or the original back up? I would delete the zip files. I the original back up is up to you. The question is how likely are you to want to go back to stock. Although you could use the RUU in xda-developers if you needed it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2