3g and 4g

bmderuosi

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
This is a question more related to 3g and 4g signals than the nexus itself. While at my house in New Jersey I have great 3g reception, full bars, however I have no 4g unless I am near an exterior wall, and at that point it is usually around 2 bars. If I am just outside I have about 4 bars of 4g.

Does 3g and 4g travel differently? Is 4g more affected by buildings?

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
That's actually a great question. I too have found 4G to be more 'fragile' regardless of the phone I've used. Perhaps the frequency it operates in has less 'penetrating power'?

sc4fpse

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
That's actually a great question. I too have found 4G to be more 'fragile' regardless of the phone I've used. Perhaps the frequency it operates in has less 'penetrating power'?

Actually, it has more "penetrating power." The problem is that Verizon prioritized a quick nationwide rollout of LTE over a thorough one, so there are a lot of 3G towers in an LTE coverage area that do not have LTE antennas on them as well. So while the OP may be close to a 3G tower where the 3G signal is strong enough to penetrate his walls, the LTE tower may actually be further away, and the signal may be so degraded by the time it reaches his house that the phone either cannot connect to it because it's so weak, or won't connect to it because the result would be less than optimal.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Actually, it has more "penetrating power." The problem is that Verizon prioritized a quick nationwide rollout of LTE over a thorough one, so there are a lot of 3G towers in an LTE coverage area that do not have LTE antennas on them as well. So while the OP may be close to a 3G tower where the 3G signal is strong enough to penetrate his walls, the LTE tower may actually be further away, and the signal may be so degraded by the time it reaches his house that the phone either cannot connect to it because it's so weak, or won't connect to it because the result would be less than optimal.

So this should get better as more towers get upgraded to having LTE built into them?
Doesn't matter to me quite yet as I'm not quite in a 4G area, but if I drive 4.5 miles east I get it. I'm so close!

mharris7ster

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
This is a question more related to 3g and 4g signals than the nexus itself. While at my house in New Jersey I have great 3g reception, full bars, however I have no 4g unless I am near an exterior wall, and at that point it is usually around 2 bars. If I am just outside I have about 4 bars of 4g.

Does 3g and 4g travel differently? Is 4g more affected by buildings?

If referencing conventional RF (Radio Frequency) propagation, the lower the frequency the longer the range and the higher the frequency the shorter the range, however, higher frequencies have better building penetration characteristics than lower frequencies.

Verizon uses the 700Mhz frequency band for their LTE (4G) service and 1900Mhz for their EVDO (3G) data service (voice is usually on 800Mhz). So while LTE will in theory have longer range apples to apples (same antenna hight, gain, and power, which equals the "Effective Radiated Power"), EVDO may be better able to penetrate through the walls of a structure such as your house.

This is only theory, in real live their are MANY factors such as your distance from the nearest LTE and or EVDO antenna, obstructions such as cars, trees, buildings and other sources of RF radiation that might interfere.

I hope this helps a little. My background is in Amateur (Ham) Radio but RF propagation and characteristics should be universal regardless of the service.

CarryMe

Banned
Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
If referencing conventional RF (Radio Frequency) propagation, the lower the frequency the longer the range and the higher the frequency the shorter the range, however, higher frequencies have better building penetration characteristics than lower frequencies.

Are you sure about that? Everything I have read says the lower frequencies have better building penetration. See below for example at p. 3, 700MHz section:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...m_Analysis_White_Paper_New.pdf&token=vyMwY8fc

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Lower frequencies definitely have better building penetration. The problem with lower frequencies is less bandwidth.

CarryMe

Banned
Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Lower frequencies definitely have better building penetration.
It seems intuitive that lower frequencies would have better building penetration. Just think about when you lived in a dorm or an apartment and your neighbor was playing music - it was the bass that came through the common wall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
accessibilitys87