4G on Verizon ??

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I saw that verizon is bringing the ROTTEN apple :D to play with us which maybe interesting to really showcase android. But what caught my attention, which i maybe a lil behind the ball on this one is that verizon is rolling out 4G. So will my Eris be able to use 4G ? Maybe with a software update?

Last edited:

ryan820

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
I wonder if 4G will improve spelling. ;oD

I don't think the Eris is capable of doing 4G-- but perhaps it is as simple as a software tweak. But if I'm not mistaken, I read once that though a system might be 4G, other versions will still work-- or at least 3G. Thankfully, our phones cycle through so quickly (new every two) that even if you reeeeeally wanted 4G, you'd only have to wait a relatively short time.

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
what hardware would it need:confused: seems to me it has an anntena and all the other components, please elaborate for the layman

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The Eris would need a second radio that support LTE. It does not have it. So, no, it will not have 4G when Verizon rolls it out. Verizon announced a few weeks ago that their first 4G phone will be available mid-2011. They are rolling out LTE after testing in Boston and Seattle, but will be limited to broadband only (ie, USB devices for laptops, laptops with built-in radios) through this year.

See First Verizon 4G Phone Coming Mid-2011

theiphonewannabe

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
When it comes to using LTE, it is different technology that would need a separate radio. Much like with Analog/Digital phones back in the day that had an Analog Radio and a CDMA radio.

You simply cannot do a software update to make the radio work for something it wasn't intended to use.

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I see said the blind man to the deaf man. And im sure early adopters of the 4G will have to pay a premium, so by waiting till my upgrade it should come down in price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Treyrday86