6.0 Marshmallow bad update

monty22001

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
So far I hate it. Listing a few reasons:

It is now back to my Palm Pre asking me what I'm connecting USB for, to charge or for data.

Sprint ID crashes a minute after boot with error 20, I had to go in and turn off notifications to work around it.

3rd, I've noticed no improvements.

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Wow that sucks I have had none of those problems it's been smooth and most importantly battery life improved

Posted via the Android Central App

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
It had it ask me what to do with the USB connection too, which I don't mind. I choose File Transfer. My Mac isn't recognizing it as a hard drive, like it did. Gonna have to figure this one out... Any ideas? (I never use HTC Sync...)
Update: I did the online chat with HTC and tried almost everything from learning the Cache partition to reinstalling Sync Manager for the drivers. Still not working. Funny enough it is working on my Windows 10 laptop....

Last edited:

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
No problems here. Maybe try a hard reset? The M9 was already fast but now it screams. I feel like it's even better optimized for the 810 chip set and the benchmarks seem to prove that.

I haven't seen a huge improvement in battery life but that could be because I can't put this beast down. ☺

Posted via the underrated M9

Attachments

• 14425.jpg
    14425.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 50

Lecrae116

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
No problems here. Maybe try a hard reset? The M9 was already fast but now it screams. I feel like it's even better optimized for the 810 chip set and the benchmarks seem to prove that.

I haven't seen a huge improvement in battery life but that could be because I can't put this beast down. ☺

Posted via the underrated M9
How does the picture restore work since HTC backup no longer is available after factory reset

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Just found out the answer to my question:The HTC Backup service is no longer available in HTC phones that use Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
HTC Backup has been renamed as HTC Restore. With this service, you can restore previous backups saved by HTC Backup to your phone. You need to download and use the HTC Restore app on your phone to access these backups.

Starting from Android 6.0, use the Android Backup Service to automatically back up your phone to Google Drive. Also use this service when restoring your backup from Google Drive to a new phone.

Lecrae116

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Just found out the answer to my question:The HTC Backup service is no longer available in HTC phones that use Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
HTC Backup has been renamed as HTC Restore. With this service, you can restore previous backups saved by HTC Backup to your phone. You need to download and use the HTC Restore app on your phone to access these backups.

Starting from Android 6.0, use the Android Backup Service to automatically back up your phone to Google Drive. Also use this service when restoring your backup from Google Drive to a new phone.
Now my question is,I have pictures in specific folders in the HTC gallery app, I have also added pics since updating to marshmallow. If I hard reset my phone and restore from google's backup service,will the photos appear exactly as they are now before the factory reset (same folders in gallery app,name etc...)

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Now my question is,I have pictures in specific folders in the HTC gallery app, I have also added pics since updating to marshmallow. If I hard reset my phone and restore from google's backup service,will the photos appear exactly as they are now before the factory reset (same folders in gallery app,name etc...)
HTC Backup does not back up files such as photos, music, or any other files such as documents. All of those things should be stored on your SD card, and backed up either through HTC Sync Manager to your computer, or manually. So, to answer your question: If your photos are in the internal memory and you do a factory reset, your photos are gone forever.

Lecrae116

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
HTC Backup does not back up files such as photos, music, or any other files such as documents. All of those things should be stored on your SD card, and backed up either through HTC Sync Manager to your computer, or manually. So, to answer your question: If your photos are in the internal memory and you do a factory reset, your photos are gone forever.
What if I unmount the sd card before factory reset?

jdunker26

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
When I start my phone the Sprint splash screen plays a high pitched tone. This started after the update. Does anyone else have this issue?

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
When I start my phone the Sprint splash screen plays a high pitched tone. This started after the update. Does anyone else have this issue?

Yeah, thats not an issue. Thats the sound it supposed to play. (Not sure why they chose it) I'm a concert sound engineer and it sounds like feedback to me....