a list of apps that work with the Gear S2; please add to it here

tstreete

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
This is a partial list of Android apps that are known to work at least somewhat with S2, listed here because Samsung does not see fit to make its apps visible to people who don't already own the watch. It is not intended to list all apps; it just lists apps that are significant or representative, so folks can get a sense of what's available. I've stopped updating it, because the list of new apps keeps growing, and different apps are available to different flavors and firmware versions of the watch, so I can't begin to be comprehensive.

There are two general ways the watch interacts with apps: through notifications (turn the bezel counterclockwise), or through a specific watch application installed on the watch.

To get apps to work via notifications, the basic process is 1) run the Samsung Gear app on your phone; 2) select Notifications; 3) select Manage notifications; 4) scroll through the list of apps and select those you would like to communicate with your watch (e.g., Google App; Google Now Launcher, etc.); 5) press DONE in the upper right corner. Not everything you select produces results.

Common android phone apps that work through notifications
  • Gmail (notifications, read, reply, show on phone, delete)
  • Type Mail (reply, show on phone, etc).
  • Google Now (notifications of top card; clicking on an address in an event loads google maps on phone)
  • Tidal (works fine with the music player)
  • Doubletwist (volume, pause, next/previous track)
  • Google Music (works with the music controls on the S2)
  • Citymapper ("get off soon at stop X" notification)
  • Google App (I tend to get cards from time to time. The one I get the most is travel times from Home to Work and vice versa)
  • Google + (Requested notifications)
  • Textra (can respond on the S2!)
  • Inbox (can't reply on the S2)
  • Periscope (Notifications Only)
  • Google Wallet (Notifications only?)
  • Nine - Exchange email app
  • Hangouts (installing the Android wear app from the play store allows you to reply to Hangout messages when using as SMS)
  • Fenix (Twitter client)
  • Facebook (notifications only)
  • Messenger (communicator for Facebook, both check the notification and reply)
  • WhatsApp (receives notifications and can answer them)
  • ChompsSMS (you can reply but you can't see any pictures)

Dedicated watch apps
  • Messages (works with Samsung messaging app on Samsung phones)
  • Email (works with Samsung email app on Samsung phones)
  • Calendar
  • S Health (works with android app from Samsung): watch app has heart rate monitoring, workouts (step count, running, walking, cycling, hiking, elliptical, stationary bike, step machine), and -- as of the update which began rolling out in July 2016 -- sleep monitoring. (Also: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-gear-s2/635122-sync-s-health-myfitnesspal.html)
  • HERE WE GO maps (turn by turn directions via watch app). (http://forum.xda-developers.com/gear-s2/help/how-to-maps-directions-to-watch-t3276850)
  • Spotify (released in Dec. 2016, works for latest firmware, more features for subscribers to Spotify Premium)
  • Yelp
  • RoadifyTransit
  • Komoot (sport navigation app; app for watch needs android app on phone)
  • ESPN (Requested notifications of the phone app side work very well)
  • CNN (Breaking News updates via watch app)
  • GNight (paid sleep tracking app, works but as of yet data stays on the watch)
  • Sleep as Android (sleep tracking watch app, works with Android app of the same name, which shares data with S Health on the phone.)
  • Gear Navigator (a navigation app with watch app and companion app on phone, can show the way on the GearS2 using Google Maps data + fine notification system with vibrations, as 2 times for 'turn left' or 3 times for 'turn right'; has a standalone version for 3G watches.
  • Navigator Assistance Gear (similar to other navigation apps, uses google maps data)
  • My Notes in Gear (You can create notes or reminders on phone and sync with GearS2 app to read it; also you can create and edit them on the smartwatch with standard keyboard or voice input)
  • Altimeter & Barometer (several versions of both available on the Gear store)
  • Filesmaster (sophisticated file manager/viewer/player able to transfer files from phone to watch, watch to watch, and windows pc to watch. Also, play video and audio files, show system parameters, and more. http://slandmedia.com/apps/gear/Filesmaster/ ).
  • Easilydo (an alternative to google notifications that offers more control and complication, less artificial intelligence; watch app is free, phone app is fremium)
  • Uber (has watch companion app, needs special phone app)
  • TouchOne Keyboard (alternative to Samsung watch keyboard, better suited to round screen, ported from Android Wear)
  • AOD Clock (allows you to use your gear s2 as a bedside clock while charging; solves the problem of burn-in by moving the digital time display around the screen)
  • Ebay (watch app is companion for phone app?)
  • iHeartRADIO
  • Camera Controller (watch app that controls phone camera; also see Camera Gear, Camera Controller, and others)
  • Yale Digital Keys (watch app is companion to android app)
  • KLM Royal Dutch Airlines (watch app is companion to android app)
  • SAS airlines
  • Iberia airlines
  • Find My Car (Gear app that works with Samsung's car mode)
  • Parkmobile (parking payment app requires Parkmobile phone app, works in Belgium, the UK, and Germany only; does not work in US yet)
  • Remote Camera Pro (controls phone's camera from watch)
  • Golf Navi Global (Golf GPS app)
  • Pear Gear app (workout app w audio coaching, works with phone app)
  • "Workout Trainer for Samsung" from Skimble (a watch companion app, offers audio and text guidance through various workouts)
  • Strength Training (exercise app)
  • tennis TraQ (when paired with phone tacks and helps analyze your game)
Also there's an emerging category of watch apps by small developers that work with major platforms:
  • ENoteGear (Evernote client)
  • Control Roku (use watch as Roku remote)
  • Gear for Nest (controls Nest thermostats)
  • TaskS2 for Tasker (watch/phone app combo that lets you start Tasker actions from your watch; powerful with a steep learning curve; if you can start your car with your phone you can probably start your car via your watch with this app)
  • Triggers (IFTTT- STandalone for 3G watch; phone-linked if non-3G)
  • Geargram for S2 (Instagram feed)
  • SquareGear (Foursquare)
  • ChatHub (currently supports Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, Google Hangouts, Skype, Kakao Talk, Line, Signal, BBM, Textra, Google Messenger, Chomp, and Go SMS)
  • Fidme (with phone app, allows display of loyalty card barcodes -- e.g., grocery store loyalty cards -- on watch. Works for some.)
  • Playlists for Spotify Premium (allows you to select playlists on spotify on your phone via the watch)
  • My Tasks in Gear (Google Tasks client)
  • Stations for Pandora
  • Philips Hue remote (controls Philips Hue lighting systems; also one called Smart Hue, and recently other competitors)
  • iNELS Home Control (for iNELS systems)
  • Gopro Shutter for HERO4 (also a separate app for HERO3, also one called GearPro, another called GoPro Shutter)
  • Kodi Gear Circle (for controlling XBMC/Kodi installations)
  • Theta S Remote (for control of Ricoh Theta S 360 degree camera)
  • Wearable Widgets for Gear S2 (working with a $2 Android app, does its best to display any Android widget on your watch, allowing some kinds of interactions)
  • "Notifications Wear Style for Gear S2" is a watch/phone app combo that sets out to duplicate the notification functions of Android Wear on Tizen.

If you have trouble with your watch/phone connection, here are some tips: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...es-maintaining-watch-phone-communication.html

There's a more detailed description (in Polish, try Google translate) of many of the watch apps here: http://www.tabletowo.pl/2015/11/26/przeswietlenie-aplikacji-samsung-gear-s2/

Last edited:

jehugo

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Hey do you have to have the generic samsung email app enabled to get the gmail functionality? I hate that app...

Posted via the Android Central App

tstreete

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I think I have it checked in the list of notifications on the Gear app, and also have gmail checked. So I'm not sure what's doing the work in the background. I use Typemail on my phone, so I don't think you have to use the app that is pushing the notifications.

jehugo

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I removed my email accounts from the stock email app and am getting notifications from Gmail app. Nice.

sag7392

May 17, 2010
Visit site
ESPN (Requested notifications of the phone app side work very well)
CNN (Breaking News updates)
Google App (I tend to get cards from time to time. The one I get the most is travel times from Home to Work and vice versa)
Google + (Requested notifications)
Hangouts (Just can't respond on the S2)
Textra (I was surprised to know I could respond on the S2!)
Inbox (can't reply on the S2)
Periscope (Notifications Only)
Google Wallet (Notifications is all I know)

Most apps work to a certain degree

jehugo

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Is type mail working? I use that as well but have not messed with it in the watch...

becca0327

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I've found that installing the Android wear app from the play store allows you to reply to Hangout messages when using as SMS. I can also confirm that you can reply to gmail and I would assume inbox emails as well. Google Music is also working with the music controls on the S2.

Last edited:

jehugo

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I can confirm that Type Mail notifications
work fine, with the usual email notification options (reply, show on phone, etc).

AlanRudy

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Facebook and Facebook Messenger. Only notifications for Facebook. With Messenger notifications, you can reply to messages with the same options you'd have to reply as if you got a text message on your watch.

Last edited:

kubix_revan

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I can confirm that You use apps:
- Fenix (Twitter client)
- Messenger (communicator for fb)
(both check the notification and reply)
Also:
- Gear Navigator (the navigation app, can show the way on the GearS2 using Google Maps + fine notification system with vibrations, as 2 times for 'turn left' or 3 times for 'turn right')
- My Notes (You can create notes on phone and sync with GearS2 to read it; also You can create and edit them on the smartwatch with standard keyboard)
- Filesmaster (the file manager app from GearS; installed on the phone will let You send files to the watch by 'share it'; on the watch You can manage the files + check the current memory and processor usage).

TJohnsonmp01

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
The fb messenger worked literally once for me last week and I've had the watch since release day. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I may not have setup correctly?

AlanRudy

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
The fb messenger worked literally once for me last week and I've had the watch since release day. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I may not have setup correctly?

TJohnson, on your phone gear app, do you have notifications allowed on watch for both facebook and messenger? I didn't at first, but it has worked fine since I did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332