a list of apps that work with the Gear S2; please add to it here

Jascias

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Ok, i'm stupid. How do I get these apps on my Gear S2? For instance gmail, or google now (That generic samsung email....not a fan)? I do have the speaker version of the watch. Yes I did a search first......but nothing helped my confusion.

tstreete

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
The basic process is 1) run the Samsung Gear app on your phone; 2) select Notifications; 3) select Manage notifications; 4) scroll through the list of apps and select those you would like to communicate with your watch (e.g., Google App; Google Now Launcher; Hangouts, etc.); 5) press DONE in the upper right corner.

Not everything you select produces results. Gmail just works in concert with the email app on the watch; there are no alternative mail apps internal to the watch.

Some people have experienced issues maintaining and/or establishing communication between certain apps and the watch. One possible solution is to reset the watch and/or reinstall the Samsung Gear app on the phone. (It worked for me.)

wsrobert

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm able to receive and reply to hangouts messages on my S2 3G after installing android wear - and I'm NOT using it as my SMS app. I use the preinstalled messenger app from Samsung. Which I actually quite like.

tstreete

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site

[*]- My Notes (You can create notes on phone and sync with GearS2 to read it; also You can create and edit them on the smartwatch with standard keyboard)
[/LIST]
I can't find an app called "My Notes" on the Gear app store (from my Samsung phone). Is that the exact name?

tstreete

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
"I can't find an app called "My Notes" on the Gear app store (from my Samsung phone). Is that the exact name?"

Never mind. I found it. Maybe it was offline for a bit, maybe I browsed right past it, but it's there as "My Notes on Gear," and it does work.

Last edited:

tstreete

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Apologies for the two "My Notes" posts above; I couldn't find "My Notes in Gear" in the Samsung app store, but have since then found it. (It works; does reminders.) And I can't figure out how to delete your own posts on this forum.

And there's no browser that I know of (and I'm not sure how you'd browse on such a small screen.)

Thelt2000x

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Apologies for the two "My Notes" posts above; I couldn't find "My Notes in Gear" in the Samsung app store, but have since then found it. (It works; does reminders.) And I can't figure out how to delete your own posts on this forum.

And there's no browser that I know of (and I'm not sure how you'd browse on such a small screen.)

Lol. That's a good point. Not sure why I would either. I just know the Gear S had one and was wondering. Thanks.

Posted via the Android Central App

joeszef

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
Glad I saw this post. Most of my required and mostly used apps are very much functional. Just to check does Google Calendar works like as if you are using Samsung Calendar? Also Im using Moto X Pure running Marshnallow does it sync well?

LSG67

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
So, how do I get Spotify working with it? With my Moto 360 it just.. Worked. But so far no luck on the S2. :-/

Any tips?

Edit: Nvm, I finally figured it out. ;)

Last edited:

LSG67

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Once Spotify is playing on the phone, you can control it on the watch. I think that's it, just basic controls, no play lists searching or anything.

That's what I thought, but I had to change the "Play music from" setting on the gear.

The settings option doesn't always show and I find that sometimes some digging is required.

Also, once I switched from Spotify to Audible, it took a long time before it switched from one to the other.

tstreete

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Two new watch apps have appeared in the last few days that offer new ways of handling notifications/communications: Easilydo seems to offer much more fine grained control over notifications than Google Now, seems oriented to business users. "Notifications Wear Style for Gear" has a free watch app and fremium companion phone app that wants to duplicate the notifications system of android wear.

Anybody have experience and/or thoughts about these apps, and maybe notifications philosophy generally?