a list of apps that work with the Gear S2; please add to it here

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi all
My gear s2 classic is showing yellow dot on clock and when I click on that dot it says "update to gear classic plus". What is classic plus and from where I can download it?

The yellow dot is to let you know you have a notification waiting. SWIPE from the side where the dot is, or rotate the ring counter-clockwise one screen. "Tapping" the dot will do whatever action is set for your current watchface. My guess is you're using a watchface that has a "free" and an advanced "paid" version of it.

miles4000

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Just found the workaround for hangouts reply. Its strange that Android Wear is needed, but I'm just glad it works now on my S2 BT version with HTC phone.

kdburton

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site
The list says there is a Gear Navigator available in Standalone for the 3G version... where might I pick this up? I could only find information on this for the Gear S watch and nothing in the app store other than the companion app that needs to be BT connected to the phone for turn-by-turn directions... It would be awesome if there was a standalone navigation app for the S2

tstreete

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
The list says there is a Gear Navigator available in Standalone for the 3G version... where might I pick this up? I could only find information on this for the Gear S watch and nothing in the app store other than the companion app that needs to be BT connected to the phone for turn-by-turn directions... It would be awesome if there was a standalone navigation app for the S2

There's a lot of mystery about who gets access to what apps, but when I search for "Gear Navigator Standalone" it turns up in my gear app on my phone under that name. I'm in the U.S. with an S2 classic non-3g. Also, fwiw, the current instructions say for S2-3G users, "because of weak GPS signal under certain conditions, it is highly recommended to pair smartwatch with phone to get accurate GPS coordinates and internet connection."

kdburton

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site
There's a lot of mystery about who gets access to what apps, but when I search for "Gear Navigator Standalone" it turns up in my gear app on my phone under that name. I'm in the U.S. with an S2 classic non-3g. Also, fwiw, the current instructions say for S2-3G users, "because of weak GPS signal under certain conditions, it is highly recommended to pair smartwatch with phone to get accurate GPS coordinates and internet connection."

I think the developer is probably fixing bugs for the 3g version and maybe that's why it doesn't showe up on mine. Does it have a version number you can see??

tstreete

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
As of today, I can't get TinyWeb to work over bluetooth on my classic non-3g, and comments on the Gear store seem to suggest the developer is still working on it.

Ch Haris

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
This is a partial list of Android apps that are known to work at least somewhat with S2. It is intended to list apps that are significant or representative; it is not intended to list all apps. I'll try to edit/update this post as new info comes in. Some of these are well-known and obvious (gmail), whereas others are pleasant small surprises (for example, when riding the subway my watch buzzed and notified me that I should get off soon at Rockefeller center; I had no idea that Citymapper would work that way with my S2).

There are two general ways the watch interacts with apps: through notifications (turn the bezel counterclockwise), or through a specific watch application installed on the watch.

To get apps to work via notifications, the basic process is 1) run the Samsung Gear app on your phone; 2) select Notifications; 3) select Manage notifications; 4) scroll through the list of apps and select those you would like to communicate with your watch (e.g., Google App; Google Now Launcher, etc.); 5) press DONE in the upper right corner. Not everything you select produces results.

Common android phone apps that work through notifications
  • Gmail (notifications, read, reply, show on phone, delete)
  • Type Mail (reply, show on phone, etc).
  • Google Now (notifications of top card; clicking on an address in an event loads google maps on phone)
  • Tidal (works fine with the music player)
  • Doubletwist (volume, pause, next/previous track)
  • Spotify (volume, pause, next/previous track)
  • Google Music (works with the music controls on the S2)
  • Citymapper ("get off soon at stop X" notification)
  • Google App (I tend to get cards from time to time. The one I get the most is travel times from Home to Work and vice versa)
  • Google + (Requested notifications)
  • Textra (can respond on the S2!)
  • Inbox (can't reply on the S2)
  • Periscope (Notifications Only)
  • Google Wallet (Notifications only?)
  • Nine - Exchange email app
  • Hangouts (installing the Android wear app from the play store allows you to reply to Hangout messages when using as SMS)
  • Fenix (Twitter client)
  • Facebook (notifications only)
  • Messenger (communicator for Facebook, both check the notification and reply)
  • WhatsApp (receives notifications and can answer them)
  • ChompsSMS (you can reply but you can't see any pictures)

Dedicated watch apps
  • Messages (works with Samsung messaging app on Samsung phones)
  • Email (works with Samsung email app on Samsung phones)
  • Calendar
  • S Health (works with android app from Samsung): watch app has heart rate monitoring, workouts (step count, running, walking, cycling, hiking, elliptical, stationary bike, step machine), and -- as of the update which began rolling out in July 2016 -- sleep monitoring. (Also: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-gear-s2/635122-sync-s-health-myfitnesspal.html)
  • HERE maps (turn by turn directions via watch app). (How to get HERE maps directions to watch | Samsung Gear S2)
  • Samsung Milk Music (will be phased out, supposedly to be replaced by another streaming service)
  • Yelp
  • RoadifyTransit
  • Komoot (sport navigation app; app for watch needs android app on phone)
  • ESPN (Requested notifications of the phone app side work very well)
  • CNN (Breaking News updates via watch app)
  • GNight (paid sleep tracking app, works but as of yet data stays on the watch)
  • Sleep as Android (sleep tracking watch app, works with Android app of the same name, which shares data with S Health on the phone. Uses a lot of battery.)
  • Gear Navigator (a navigation app with watch app and companion app on phone, can show the way on the GearS2 using Google Maps data + fine notification system with vibrations, as 2 times for 'turn left' or 3 times for 'turn right'; has a standalone version for 3G watches.
  • Navigator Assistance Gear (similar to other navigation apps, uses google maps data)
  • My Notes in Gear (You can create notes or reminders on phone and sync with GearS2 app to read it; also you can create and edit them on the smartwatch with standard keyboard or voice input)
  • Altimeter & Barometer (several versions of both available on the Gear store)
  • Filesmaster (sophisticated file manager/viewer/player able to transfer files from phone to watch, watch to watch, and windows pc to watch. Also, play video and audio files, show system parameters, and more. Filesmaster ).
  • Easilydo (an alternative to google notifications that offers more control and complication, less artificial intelligence; watch app is free, phone app is fremium)
  • Uber (has watch companion app, needs special phone app)
  • Ebay (watch app is companion for phone app?)
  • iHeartRADIO
  • Camera Controller (watch app that controls phone camera; also see Camera Gear, Camera Controller, and others)
  • Yale Digital Keys (watch app is companion to android app)
  • KLM Royal Dutch Airlines (watch app is companion to android app)
  • SAS airlines
  • Iberia airlines
  • Find My Car (Gear app that works with Samsung's car mode)
  • Parkmobile (parking payment app requires Parkmobile phone app, works in Belgium, the UK, and Germany only; does not work in US yet)
  • Remote Camera Pro (controls phone's camera from watch)
  • Golf Navi Global (Golf GPS app)
  • Pear Gear app (workout app w audio coaching, works with phone app)
  • "Workout Trainer for Samsung" from Skimble (a watch companion app, offers audio and text guidance through various workouts)
  • Strength Training (exercise app)
  • tennis TraQ (when paired with phone tacks and helps analyze your game)
Also there's an emerging category of watch apps by small developers that work with major platforms:
  • ENoteGear (Evernote client)
  • TaskS2 for Tasker (watch/phone app combo that lets you start Tasker actions from your watch; powerful with a steep learning curve; if you can start your car with your phone you can probably start your car via your watch with this app)
  • Triggers (IFTTT- STandalone for 3G watch; phone-linked if non-3G)
  • Geargram for S2 (Instagram feed)
  • SquareGear (Foursquare)
  • ChatHub (currently supports Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, Google Hangouts, Skype, Kakao Talk, Line, Signal, BBM, Textra, Google Messenger, Chomp, and Go SMS)
  • Fidme (with phone app, allows display of loyalty card barcodes -- e.g., grocery store loyalty cards -- on watch. Works for some.)
  • Playlists for Spotify Premium
  • Stations for Pandora
  • Philips Hue remote (controls Philips Hue lighting systems; also one called Smart Hue, and recently other competitors)
  • iNELS Home Control (for iNELS systems)
  • Gopro Shutter for HERO4 (also a separate app for HERO3, also one called GearPro, another called GoPro Shutter)
  • Kodi Gear Circle (for controlling XBMC/Kodi installations)
  • Theta S Remote (for control of Ricoh Theta S 360 degree camera)
  • Wearable Widgets for Gear S2 (working with a $2 Android app, does its best to display any Android widget on your watch, allowing some kinds of interactions)
  • "Notifications Wear Style for Gear S2" is a watch/phone app combo that sets out to duplicate the notification functions of Android Wear on Tizen.

If you have trouble with your watch/phone connection, here are some tips: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...es-maintaining-watch-phone-communication.html

There's a more detailed description (in Polish, try Google translate) of many of the watch apps here: Prześwietlenie aplikacji – Samsung Gear S2. Wszystko, co dotyczy oprogramowania najnowszego smartwatcha z Tizenem, w jednym miejscu | Tabletowo.pl

does it have a peel smart remote app???
can a gear access the apps on phone??

tstreete

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
does it have a peel smart remote app???
can a gear access the apps on phone??

There are a variety of watch apps that offer limited kinds of access to the phone. (E.g., Phone Remote, $2, lets you use the watch to toggle ringtone profiles, wifi on/off, bluetooth on/off, and a few other things.) And there are watch apps that work with phone apps IFTTT (Triggers), or Tasker (TaskS2), which allow you to run scripts that do things for your phone; so no Peel Remote watch app that I know of, but you might be able to write scripts that control Peel Remote on your phone that you can control from your watch.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe