A35 updates GPS location every 15 seconds

Vipul K

Jan 31, 2020
Visit site
I recently upgraded from Samsung M21 to A35 and have been very disappointed by the navigation performance. Google maps takes 15 seconds to update my location and when moving in a car, a significant distance passes in that time. I'm bad at navigation and heavily rely on Google maps and lately I've been missing turns thinking I haven't reached it and then 5 seconds later it shows that I've passed the turn.

I installed GPS test app on both of my phones and noticed that M21 updates the location every 5 secs while A35 does it every 15 secs. So its probably not Google Map's fault.

I want to know if it is possible to increase the update frequency of GPS pings? Is this a hardware limitation or a software one? If it is software, is it Android's fault or Samsung's?

The Android version is 14 btw.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Go to Settings>Apps, select Maps, then Permissions>Location . Is it set to "Allow all the time", and is "Use precise location" toggled on? In addition, in App Battery Usage, is "Allow background usage" toggled on?

Vipul K

Jan 31, 2020
Visit site
The permission is set to 'when using the app'. The battery usage is set to "Optimized".

But both of these settings should be irrelevant as this happens when the app is open and screen is on and navigation is active.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's still worth trying those settings, just in case it's some quirk of Google Maps or Samsung's firmware.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pacoxixon