AC NEWS is a spam bot

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Why is ac news, a spam bot account, allowed to post over 1800 new threads with monetized hyperlinks?
How /Why is their profile page show only 1 day of activity in April , yet the account posts regularly, including this month?
2e0e70a3713d8c73d954165a078e78ab.jpg

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
AC News isn't a spam bot, it links posts directly from the blogs to the forums because not everyone reads the blogs and that is a chance to highlight content they may be interested in it. On top of that, it's also how the commenting system works. If you comment on the forum post, that comment will then be placed on the blogs. The reason it's not listed as a "Staff" account is because people requested to be able to ignore it, and if it was marked as a Staff account, it wouldn't be able to be ignored.

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
How is this not considered spam in a Android forum?

10dd7b2676a615f3b7d25966556cd3ed.jpg
It was literally written by the Editors of the site. You do know those post link to the blogs right? Just because it says iPhone doesn't mean the contents within are irrelevant to Android users.

Reactions: BerryBubbles

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
It was literally written by the Editors of the site. You do know those post link to the blogs right? Just because it says iPhone doesn't mean the contents within are irrelevant to Android users.
Forgive my ignorance.
No, I don't know the editors write these posts having nothing to do with android devices.
Creating a post/discussion about Apple products, and never posting 1 reply in over 1800 thread creations seems like spam, advertising, or both.
For comparison, I would expect my post about the new Mercedes put on the BMW forum would be deleted.
Make it make sense, as the 'administrators' have not replied even once to their own posts which were replied to. That is bot behavior. Or spam. Take your pick.
P. S. No, I don't know they link to a apple blog, as I don't click on hyperlinks created by spam bots.
Maybe the admin who posted a few of them can chime in.

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
No, I don't know the editors write these posts having nothing to do with android devices.
But it does have to do with Android devices. It covers that in the article. Apple changing to USB-C has effects on the whole accessory ecosystem.

P. S. No, I don't know they link to a apple blog, as I don't click on hyperlinks created by spam bots.

It doesn't link to an Apple blog, it links to the Android Central blogs. Again, the account only posts articles from Android Central.

I'm sorry, I can't explain it to you any better:

• The account is not a Spam Bot by the standard definition of spam.
  • It helps the commenting system work.
  • The account itself is never going to reply to you because it's sole purpose is to post links from the blogs to the forums for members who may not normally view/comment on the blogs to discuss the topics.
  • If you wish to possibly get a reply from the author of the article, leaving a comment on the post is encouraged.
  • If you wish to never see the account, you can choose the ignore option on the forums. However, if you're using Tapatalk / AC Forums app, it may still show.

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Are those affiliate links in the article?

Most articles have affiliate links or alternatively link to other Android Central articles which have affiliate links as outlined at the top of the site/article and in our disclosure statements found here.

Screen Shot 2023-09-27 at 11.35.57 AM.png

Affiliate & advertising disclosure​

We always aim to provide unbiased editorial created by our journalists and writers. We also need to pay our teams and website costs so we make money in a number of ways. We sometimes use affiliate links to products and services on retailer sites for which we can receive compensation if you click on those links or make purchases through them. From time to time we also publish advertorials (paid-for editorial content) and sponsored content on the site. When this is the case the content is clearly marked as sponsored or promoted, so you’ll always know which content is editorial and which is not. Future PLC is our parent company and has an in-depth terms and conditions page with a lot more information that you can read right here.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Why is ac news, a spam bot account, allowed to post over 1800 new threads with monetized hyperlinks?
How /Why is their profile page show only 1 day of activity in April , yet the account posts regularly, including this month?
2e0e70a3713d8c73d954165a078e78ab.jpg
I stand corrected. My question was facetious.
AC news is an authorized sales ad / article, with monetized hyperlinks.
I've taken your suggestion, and hit the ignore button.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
That's the same thing that I do. Out of sight, out of mind.
Problem is ignoring stuff on the app doesn'tseem to work... I don't actually mind the AC News spambot, it's good for rediscovering news I read somewhere else 2 days before lol. What bothers me is having 20 articles about the iPhone in a row... start to worry dementia is setting in and I've forgotten where I am and how I got there.

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Problem is ignoring stuff on the app doesn'tseem to work...
That's a Tapatalk issue not a forums issue. It may be addressed in an update.
What bothers me is having 20 articles about the iPhone in a row...
Practically every site on the internet talks about the iPhone when it launches for a couple days and then it disappears (same thing happens with Prime Day), and the forum has no control over Editorial articles anyway.

start to worry dementia is setting in and I've forgotten where I am and how I got there.
We've all been there.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
That's a Tapatalk issue not a forums issue. It may be addressed in an update.

Practically every site on the internet talks about the iPhone when it launches for a couple days and then it disappears (same thing happens with Prime Day), and the forum has no control over Editorial articles anyway.

We've all been there.
Oh I'm well aware. I would never have posted a thread like this myself, as I know nobody who sees it will have the power to change anything whether they would want to or not.

In the olden days they would have disabled comments on those articles lol.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
[*]The account is not a Spam Bot by the standard definition of spam.

Not sure about your definition, but they fit my definition of spam to a T. That is, unsolicited and unwanted messages delivered to me (via the forums app feed in this case). I'll give you that it's not a bot, but spam nonetheless, just like how Facebook spams suggested groups and posts no matter how many times I report and opt out. And it's not like most of us agreed to this. Most of us were around prior to the buyout and changes, and I don't recall any notice that we were going to start getting sanctioned spam in our feeds.

BTW no, you can't block it via the forums app. It only pseudo-hides the posts in a way that still feeds you the headline. If people wanted to read the blogs, they would go read them. Shoving it down the rest of our throats isn't making any new friends with the writers.

Regarding the iPhone articles, let's say I agree with the premise that it still relates to Android in some way. We still have a problem because the post title and summaries in the forums don't explain that. Take the above listed example about the iPhone USB-C change. The headline indicates it's about the iPhone, presumably iPhone accessory makers, and a vague mention of affecting the rest of the world. That doesn't tell me anything related to Android, so why should it be on the Android site? Perhaps a better headline would be something like, "Why Android users should pay attention to iPhone's switch to USB-C." While I would still consider it spam, at least now it's something potentially relevant to Android Central users.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Not sure about your definition, but they fit my definition of spam to a T. That is, unsolicited and unwanted messages delivered to me (via the forums app feed in this case). I'll give you that it's not a bot, but spam nonetheless, just like how Facebook spams suggested groups and posts no matter how many times I report and opt out. And it's not like most of us agreed to this. Most of us were around prior to the buyout and changes, and I don't recall any notice that we were going to start getting sanctioned spam in our feeds.

BTW no, you can't block it via the forums app. It only pseudo-hides the posts in a way that still feeds you the headline. If people wanted to read the blogs, they would go read them. Shoving it down the rest of our throats isn't making any new friends with the writers.

Regarding the iPhone articles, let's say I agree with the premise that it still relates to Android in some way. We still have a problem because the post title and summaries in the forums don't explain that. Take the above listed example about the iPhone USB-C change. The headline indicates it's about the iPhone, presumably iPhone accessory makers, and a vague mention of affecting the rest of the world. That doesn't tell me anything related to Android, so why should it be on the Android site? Perhaps a better headline would be something like, "Why Android users should pay attention to iPhone's switch to USB-C." While I would still consider it spam, at least now it's something potentially relevant to Android Central users.
Your logic will get you no where.
Obviously, I agree 100%.
Forums are for discussion.
If it isn't a bot, one would think a response in the thread would be somewhere in the 1900 started posts. But, not even 1.
AC news is an ad, masquerading as a conversation starter.

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Not sure about your definition, but they fit my definition of spam to a T. That is, unsolicited and unwanted messages delivered to me (via the forums app feed in this case). I'll give you that it's not a bot, but spam nonetheless, just like how Facebook spams suggested groups and posts no matter how many times I report and opt out. And it's not like most of us agreed to this.
By that definition, then every post you don't want to read or see that happens on the forums is spam to you.

Most of us were around prior to the buyout and changes, and I don't recall any notice that we were going to start getting sanctioned spam in our feeds.

The same system has been use on iMore looooooong before the buyout. Same with Windows Central and CrackBerry when that was owned by Mobile Nations. It was always a part of the former Mobile Nations forums but never turned on for Android Central.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I read the articles that look interesting & skip over the ones that don't appeal to me.

It doesn't bother me to flick my finger once to scroll past an article.

If this was coming to my personal email or text account, I'd be annoyed, probably livid. But since this is Android Centrals site, **...their house ...their rules.
(**edit to credit @fuzzylumpkin)

It's a free site that I enjoy & it's not costing me a thing.

Oh, & also, I do learn a lot!

Last edited:

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I read the articles that look interesting & skip over the ones that don't appeal to me.

It doesn't bother me to flick my finger once to scroll past an article.

If this was coming to my personal email or text account, I'd be annoyed, probably livid. But since this is Android Centrals site, ...their house ...their rules.

It's a free site that I enjoy & it's not costing me a thing.

Oh, & also, I do learn a lot!
Yeah, that's basically what I said at the start... but with more sarcasm lol.

Their house, their rules. I AM going to continue to complain, though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d