Android 10 app compatibility - risks, how can I tell if app is compatible?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I am running a Pixel 2 with Android 9. I would like to upgrade to Android 10 to get security updates, but I can't tell if a key app I use is compatible with Android 10. It works with Android 9, but when I ask the developer's Support group if it works with Android 10, all I get is an informal "As far as I have tested on my Note 10 (Android 10) it's been working fine. I don't see any issues so far.". When I asked for more formal/official assurance I got radio silence. My challenge is that I run my life on this app and if it suddenly doesn't work or worse, scrambles my data, I'm in for a huge headache.

As background, the app is VCOrganizer Pro, which handles Contact, Calendar and Tasks, and I sync to Outlook on my desktop. That's pretty important for me!

So the questions are :
1) Does anyone else use VCOrganizer on Android 10? Any issues?
2) Is there any way to tell what versions of Android an app is certified for? Google Play just shows "Android 4.0 and up" - does that mean it's certified for 10?
3) Anyone have a list of known issues I should look out for within an app (especially any PIM apps) if I just roll the dice and upgrade?

TIA - R.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, in situations like this, you may just have to dive in and use it. If glitches come up, report them to the dev -- considering that they responded to you already, that would suggest they're actually interested in feedback from users.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Not a user here either, chances are pretty low that you will find more users randomly on a general Android forum but..., anyway.

Personally I would start reading reviews if the developer's word wasn't enough for you. Start with the 1 and 2 star reviews and maybe venture into the 3 star reviews if they don't satisfy you. Good reviews can be faked but no one fakes bad reviews, so they're usually trustworthy. Many users that have upgraded will post failures, mad and upset just you would be if something they liked suddenly quit working. Users that want to try the app and it fails will also post. In my experience it's usually in the neighborhood of 30 to 1 for good reviews and 10 to 1 for bad reviews. People are more prone to complain than compliment so for every good review there are probably 30 people out there enjoying the app while for bad reviews maybe half that, so 10 to 15 people out there hating the app for each bad review. Again this seems to be my experience.

Having said that if you don't see any reviews that mention the Pixel 2, problems or failures after upgrading or not working with Android 10, in addition to the developer's response, chances are you're pretty safe.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I was curious of course, so I went and took a look for myself, don't take this as it's not worth your time to look yourself, most certainly do, you'll understand the complaints better than I who have not used the app will. Initially it seems a lot of the 1 star complaints are that the developer doesn't respond to complaints. So you must have gotten lucky there. Also only 5,000 downloads. That's either really niche or there's something better out there if people have been using it for years. Several complaints that "this seems to be a dead app". Other reviews start out... "I've used this for years and..." "It was a great app a year ago..." "A lot of great features that just don't quite work..." These are from the $20.99 version. The other versions have far less downloads, the Pro+ less then 130.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332