Android Central Reports on 60 New Android Devices in May

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
In May 2011, Android Central had nearly 500 front page articles in May alone including announcements or leaks of 60 new Android devices.

Asus
ASUS unveils the Padfone -- a tablet/phone hybrid

Acer
OfficeMax now selling the Acer Iconia Tab A500

Barns & Noble
Barnes & Noble brings an all-new Nook -- 6-inches of Android 2.1 on an E-Ink Pearl display

Casio
Casio G'zOne Commano's touchscreen rekindles a funny, broken feeling

HTC
HTC Sensation hands-on - Coming to T-Mobile June 8
Sprint EVO 3D June 23? - HTC Evo 3D to be $200
Rumored Ice Cream Sandwich test device surfaces
US Cellular's HTC Merge officially launches May 31
HTC Panache 4G unboxed
HTC Salsa and ChaCha final software gets leaked
HTC Salsa reportedly exclusive
HTC Flyer now available at Best Buy - HTC Flyer video hands-on (Wifi-only version)
myTouch 4G Slide / HTC Doubleshot - Coming to T-Mobile July 6
HTC Marvel / Wildfire S - Coming to T-Mobile July 6
HTC Lead headed to AT&T, system dump leaked
HTC Holiday and EVO View 4G ROMs leak out
HTC Puccini: A 10-Inch LTE tablet headed to AT&T?
Droid Incredible 2 review
HTC ThunderBolt Review
Is the HTC Kingdom Sprint's newer, smaller black slab?

Huawei
Huawei Ascend X brings 4G to Cincinnati Bell
Huawei Ideos S7 Slim - Coming to T-Mobile in August

Kyocera
Kyocera Echo review

LG
LG Optimus 3D initial review and hands-on
Hands-on with the LG Revolution - LG Revolution officially coming May 26 for $249
LG Optimus Pad now available from Rogers
T-Mobile G2X review
LG Optimus Black coming to North America - LG Optimus Black unboxing
LG Genesis specs -- every last one

Motorola
Droid 3 appears in Verizon pages
Droid X2 available now from Verizon - Motorola Droid X2 help videos - Droid X2 initial review
Sprint Motorola Photon (Atrix) June 9
Motorola Atrix now available in the UK

Pantech
Pantech Crossover hits AT&T on June 5

Samsung
Samsung Droid Charge from Verizon - Samsung Droid Charge review
Samsung Nexus S 4G review - Sprint's Nexus S 4G available today for $199 on contract
Samsung Infuse 4G review - Samsung Infuse 4G hits AT&T on May 15
Samsung Galaxy Mini mini review
Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 at the FCC
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 to ship with Android 3.1 - Best Buy preps Tab 10.1 - Tab 10.1 review
Sprint's upcoming Samsung SPH-D600 gives entry-level a whole new meaning
T-Mobile's upcoming Exhibit 4G photoshoot - Samsung Exhibit 4G - Coming to T-Mobile June 8
Samsung / T-Mobile Hercules - Coming to T-Mobile September 26
(3) Samsung Galaxy S II AT&T Attain, Verizon Function and Sprint Within?
Samsung Replenish video hands-on
Samsung Gem review
(2) Samsung launches Galaxy S Wifi 4.0, 5.0

Sony
Xperia Play video hands-on - Xperia Play preorders starting to reach mobile gamers

Other
(8) NTT Docomo's summer lineup: 9 smartphones, 8 are Android

Android Central also reported that a webOS phone was released, the HP Veer with the Pre 3 and TouchPad expected soon. BlackBerry will have a new phone too, the BlackBerry Bold 9900.

Last edited:

Crackb3rry420

May 29, 2011
Visit site
wow android is slowly moving on up . That is A Lot of devices coming out in the remainder of 2011.i remember when the G1 came out when i still used sidekicks and i ended up getting a bold9700..should have gotten the G1.oh well the time has come to purchase my first android phone and the htc sensation is definitely the perfect choice for me..cannot waittt

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
wow android is slowly moving on up . That is A Lot of devices coming out in the remainder of 2011.i remember when the G1 came out when i still used sidekicks and i ended up getting a bold9700..should have gotten the G1.oh well the time has come to purchase my first android phone and the htc sensation is definitely the perfect choice for me..cannot waittt
Welcome to the revolution!

Check out the Phone Comparison. The Sensation is going to be a huge hit.

As you get started in Android, check out the Getting Started thread for help especially with transferring over contacts, calendar, photos, music, videos, etc. And then see the walkthrough on the Settings.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Zinio is not a phone

Also does anyone else think this leads to an eventual larger problem?
Oops. fixed.

Look at it this way. This is devices, not just phones.

Each maker needs at least one good offering at each of the roughly 7 sizes:
S <3" phone
M 3.5" phone
L 4" phone
XL 4.3" phone
XXL 4.5"+ phone
XXXL 7"-9" tablet
XXXXL 10"+ tablet

Each US carrier wants a version of each size customized for them:
At&T
Sprint
T-Mobile
US Cellular
Verizon
and at least one in each size for the rest of the world.

The primary makers are HTC, LG, Motorola, Samsung, and Sony so you have:
7 sizes x 6 carriers x 5 makers = 210 Android devices in the market plus the other 8 makers.

There are only 98 Android devices int he market right now. Of the 60 new Android, 45 will replace existing models. They still will need at least 100 more current models. And then everything has to be refreshed every year at least.

Android is seeing 400,000 activations/day right now or about 145 million a year and the activations are increasing rapidly. If Android does 200 million activation this year, they need about 200 models to each do about 1 million each.

Think of it like athletic shoes. How many different models does Nike need to have one model for each of the 12 common sizes in the 7 main types for men and women? But they have multiple styles for each segment and size. And there are 4 other major brands. But if you are trying on shoes, there may only be 2 pairs that you can really consider out of a store inventory of 1000 pairs.

Smartphones went from one-size-fits-all Palm then BlackBerry then iPhone to styles and sizes for everyone.

Just like shoes, get whatever feels best to you.

Reactions: orchidsbloom

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Oops. fixed.

Look at it this way. This is devices, not just phones.

Each maker needs at least one good offering at each of the roughly 7 sizes:
S <3" phone
M 3.5" phone
L 4" phone
XL 4.3" phone
XXL 4.5"+ phone
XXXL 7"-9" tablet
XXXXL 10"+ tablet

Each US carrier wants a version of each size customized for them:
At&T
Sprint
T-Mobile
US Cellular
Verizon
and at least one in each size for the rest of the world.

The primary makers are HTC, LG, Motorola, Samsung, and Sony so you have:
7 sizes x 6 carriers x 5 makers = 210 Android devices in the market plus the other 8 makers.

There are only 98 Android devices int he market right now. Of the 60 new Android, 45 will replace existing models. They still will need at least 100 more current models. And then everything has to be refreshed every year at least.

Android is seeing 400,000 activations/day right now or about 145 million a year and the activations are increasing rapidly. If Android does 200 million activation this year, they need about 200 models to each do about 1 million each.

Think of it like athletic shoes. How many different models does Nike need to have one model for each of the 12 common sizes in the 7 main types for men and women? But they have multiple styles for each segment and size. And there are 4 other major brands. But if you are trying on shoes, there may only be 2 pairs that you can really consider out of a store inventory of 1000 pairs.

Smartphones went from one-size-fits-all Palm then BlackBerry then iPhone to styles and sizes for everyone.

Just like shoes, get whatever feels best to you.

wow, great breakdown. Also love the accidental heart you made there(<3") lol

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards