Android pay

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
That is weird. I have sac fcu. Android pay says it isn't supported by the bank yet, but my card still works

Posted via the Android Central App

sarcigon

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Same thing is happening to me and I'm almost certain that it's because I'm rooted.
I had to disable the su in order to add cards to Android Pay.

It sucks that Google is screwing around with the advanced users and developers community.

Little by little Google is becoming just what we despise (Apple).

sarcigon

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
So I just tried to use AP at Trader Jo's... didn't work. Kept getting "this card cannot be used right now" popup message with "dismiss" and "settings" buttons. The dismiss button returned me to the AP main screen and the settings button brought me to the Android system settings. Tried two different cards and got the same result.
The cashier said he wasn't sure their software had been updated to support it, so may not have been AP's fault. Bit disappointing.

I play with my food

Same thing is happening to me and I'm almost certain that it's because I'm rooted.

It sucks that Google is screwing around with the advanced users and developers community.

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Very interesting. I'm also rooted and used the disable su trick to add cards. I hope it's just a coincidence because I'm excited about AP but don't know if I could give up root for it.

I play with my food

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
So I just tried to use AP at Trader Jo's... didn't work. Kept getting "this card cannot be used right now" popup message with "dismiss" and "settings" buttons. The dismiss button returned me to the AP main screen and the settings button brought me to the Android system settings. Tried two different cards and got the same result.
The cashier said he wasn't sure their software had been updated to support it, so may not have been AP's fault. Bit disappointing.

I play with my food

I had the same issue with whole food today. Are you rooted? I am thinking you have to setup your lock screen properly without face detection etc

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue with whole food today. Are you rooted? I am thinking you have to setup your lock screen properly without face detection etc
Yep, I'm rooted. No face detection though, I use pattern unlock.

I'd like to try using AP somewhere I KNOW it works so I can be sure the issue is with my phone and not the POS system.

I play with my food

Wolvan

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I can't get it to take my Citi Visa card. Keeps telling me "Your Card couldn't be added. Please contact your bank for more info. You can also try adding a different card". I added a different card from a different bank (Navy Federal CU) no issue. Wonder if its because the card is chipped?

Edit:
Got off the phone with the bank. My specific card isn't supported currently as its an AAdvantage Select card (American Airlines Miles card) so despite being Citi, doesn't work.

Last edited:

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Well, I made the mistake of updating to Android Pay. No deal for me. It wouldn't take my BMOHarris debit card, which worked fine on Google Wallet. Called Google wallet and they said, "Sorry, Android pay is new, so not that many banks yet have it covered." The guy gave me a long apology and said to give them a few weeks to get more banks on board, but don't quote him on that. LOL. I said fine, I used google wallet a lot, but I guess they just lost someone now. I also said, why make an update to an app that's working fine, if it's not finished getting everyone (the banks) on Board. Just losing people like me who would use it often. Oh Well, fun while it lasted. Hope they get it together soon, or lost my interest.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I can't get it to take my Citi Visa card. Keeps telling me "Your Card couldn't be added. Please contact your bank for more info. You can also try adding a different card". I added a different card from a different bank (Navy Federal CU) no issue. Wonder if its because the card is chipped?

Edit:
Got off the phone with the bank. My specific card isn't supported currently as its an AAdvantage Select card (American Airlines Miles card) so despite being Citi, doesn't work.

My Debit Card is chipped also. My bank said that may be why it wouldn't work. I think that it's like google said, the app is too new. So why bother putting it out yet? Everything worked fine before they pushed out the update.

Kjthomas0724

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
My Debit Card is chipped also. My bank said that may be why it wouldn't work. I think that it's like google said, the app is too new. So why bother putting it out yet? Everything worked fine before they pushed out the update.

My Chase debit card is also chipped. I hope that's not going to prevent it from being able to be used on Android pay for ever.

Wolvan

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Being chipped wasn't the problem. Despite Citi being supposedly ready to go with Google Pay, my specific card, being an Airline mile card from Citi is what was keeping it from working.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Added a card successfully but couldn't successfully use the payment method for some reason. It acted like it worked but no payment was made.

jamesm79

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I heard Android Pay had a pretty successful launch in Korea, but I'm weary about how well it will do in the US. I'm sure there are going to be a gazillion and one compatibility issues with all the various stores and card readers. It will probably take months and months to iron out all the initial kinks.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I have the same situation, with CitiBank Mastercharge, non-chipped AAdvantage cards that can't be added in Android Pay. According to Citi, the Rewards partners, such as AAdvantage need to agree to accept them, as well as the bank, and AAdvantage has not signed on.I have the same problem with my AT&T Universal Rewards card on Citi. I don't think that the chip or non-chip part of it has any relevance to this problem.

They couldn't tell me if the problem is in process of being resolved, or it it ever will be. On the other hand, my attempts to add my Citi Amex Addvantage cards result in a message that they can't be added, YET. That gives me a glimmer of hope that at least they might be available at some point. It's quite discouraging that the only card I can use for payment in Android Pay is my Bank of America Debit Card.

I'm also discouraged that the purported grandfathering for cards that were previously activated on Google Wallet doesn't appear to exist for my cards.

momentumv

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
I used my android pay successfully with my nexus 5 (not rooted), but the last 4 times I've tried I've gotten the "can't be used right now" popup. I don't know what the issue is, but I think the only difference might be that I have smart lock setup. I tried to eliminate this one of the times by turning off bluetooth so smart lock wasn't active, but it still gave me the same popup. Very frustrating!

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I used my android pay successfully with my nexus 5 (not rooted), but the last 4 times I've tried I've gotten the "can't be used right now" popup. I don't know what the issue is, but I think the only difference might be that I have smart lock setup. I tried to eliminate this one of the times by turning off bluetooth so smart lock wasn't active, but it still gave me the same popup. Very frustrating!

I doubt that smart lock being enabled is the problem. I have it constantly enabled, using Bluetooth connection to my trusted device (pebble watch). That combo is working fine with Android Pay for me.

Have you tried it with a variety of retailers, or the same one each time?

A168

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
So, I jail tried to add my Chase debit card again. It finally let me add it!!

How did you get your Chase debit card to work? I keep trying but it always tells me 'This card can't be used'.

On another note, has anyone tried adding an Amex Serve card to Android Pay?

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
How did you get your Chase debit card to work? I keep trying but it always tells me 'This card can't be used'.

On another note, has anyone tried adding an Amex Serve card to Android Pay?

Yep, didn't work. The Stupid Amex Serve Card is a pre-paid debit card. I had mine reactivated after Softcard washed out as an app, then tried on Android Pay, because it is American Express. Didn't work. If you go to the Android Pay website and click on American Express, in the small print it excludes any pre-paid debit cards and some others. Amex Serve is one of them. So it's a no go on that one also.

After that, I closed and Cancelled that card and account. No use for it now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord