Any problems with Note 8 after longterm use?

Richard_t87

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I've had this tablet since day one (Bought it on April 20, 2013 in Canada) and fortunately, I've experienced no issues/problems with anything whatsoever :).

On a side note, I wish the overall battery life was a little bit better. But hopefully the new 4.2.2 update will improve it slightly :).

Erhnam_Djinn14

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I purchased the note 8 2 days after release. Long term use ive noticed a gradual slow down of the keyboard. I hate it. Typing anything requires that I pay close attention to the fact that either it doesnt recognize button taps...especially the space bar. Or that it momentarily freezes and doesnt input anything which when typing fast completes skips letters. Also the internal memory has lots of excess files not in folders. I have no idea what they do or which app created them.

Also, if you have lots of bookmarks/favorites for the internet browser, when opening said tab it seems to want to refresh itself several times before you can click the website you want.

I updated to the leaked 4.2.2 and the keyboard stutter is still present.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
have the same issue with the space bar not getting pressed when I type to fast, also the screen still dies when im using it in a book cover case.

bobng

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I've had mine since the day it was released and the only negative I have is recently battery life has deteriorated significantly.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I have issues where the screen is unresponsive for 2-3 seconds.
Happens randomly.
Did a factory reset and the problem still persists.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Ok, ive completely switched to chrome as my ONLY browser on the note 8 and my bookmark refresh issue has never been seen. Must have been an issue with stock browser.

As far as my keyboard problems are concerned, wel that seems to be only present when the keyboard app resizes itself to make the spacebar smaller. As I type this the spacebar is twice as big and I dont have any issues. Im not sure what causes the resize in the first place.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I have issues where the screen is unresponsive for 2-3 seconds.
Happens randomly.
Did a factory reset and the problem still persists.

same here

still running whatever version is the newest on the wifi only model in the USA

arod2051

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I've had my Note 8.0 since day one of release. It is my first Android device. I really like the plethora of Apps you can get for Android compared to iOS. But that is not unique to the Note 8.0.

I've noticed the keyboard stutter many times and it really slows me down when trying to get something typed out, because I have to backspace so often. The pen input is still very nice. I use this as my main notebook for work so it does its job really well with the Papyrus app. I recently noticed a bit of a delay during touch input. I have Star Wars pinball on iOS and Android and my scores are much higher using my iPad 3. There is a bit of latency when using the Note 8.0 using that same application. I know this is not scientific, but I do notice quite a difference.

It is also very hard for me to go back to the Note 8.0 screen after using my iPad retina screen. I understood there would be a difference, but the experience of the retina screen is so much nicer than my Note 8.0. It takes me about 5 minutes of use on the Note 8.0 and then I don't remember the difference. But if I switch back and forth, it is clearly different.

I am still trying to find the perfect screen protector to simulate pencil-on-paper feel. I ordered a writeshield but it came back bent. After great customer support, I will get a new one. But I really want that experience to feel good. The pen is very nice. It apparently has 1024-points of pressure sensitivity but my main app doesn't take advantage of that range. The palm rejection is very good and I've never had any vectoring. Papyrus allows for finger erase which is convenient, but it also makes me accidently erase parts of my notes.

Battery life has been decent. But I do have to 'worry' about charging, unlike my iPad. I believe the main issue is the reporting of battery charge. I've read, lithium Ion has such a flat voltage through the charge that certain algorithms are implemented to report back charge level. On my Note 8.0, I go from 100% - 75% very rapidly, but it take some time to drain it down to 10%. On the iPad 3 (I know different battery capacity), It takes a while longer to get from 100%-75%. This has caused me to mentally have to 'worry' about making sure I can get through the day. But I've never ran out of charge through the day. I've lasted up to three days with moderate usage (video, browsing, note apps). To be clear, I also started a routine to plug my Note 8.0 into my USB charger at work. I never do that with my iPad.

Sorry to make it sound like an iPad comparison, but I didn't intend it to go that route. I still take my Note 8.0 around with me more, because I can throw it in my pocket when I need to go 'number 2' at work. :) I really like this gadget. It is still my most used gadget outside my phone. I really hope the next-gen version of the Note 8.0 fixes the keyboard stutter, touch latency, and includes a high-res screen.

Edit: Sorry so long. I just kept typing (not on my Note 8.0) :(

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
It's lags bad when going through Internet bookmarks but generally works great. I take it to,work everyday and use it alot even over my ipad 2.

I'm no tempted to guy note 10.1 as my at home tablet..and just use my note 8.0 when at work or on the go but not sure if I buy note 10.1 will I still use the note 8.0 enough?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It's lags bad when going through Internet bookmarks but generally works great. I take it to,work everyday and use it alot even over my ipad 2.

I'm no tempted to guy note 10.1 as my at home tablet..and just use my note 8.0 when at work or on the go but not sure if I buy note 10.1 will I still use the note 8.0 enough?

I put an Otterbox Defender on my Note 8.0 feel confident about using it out and about...at work...on the go. My beautiful Sony Xperia Tablet Z is not leaving the safety of its cacoon (my house). When I'm home I'd rather use the Sony with its bigger clearer screen. It spoils you...having a phone, a work/on-the-go S-Pen-having tablet and a nice premium device for home use.

Sent from my humble Note 8.0 LTE

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Going into developer settings and disabling animation settings does wonders with removing lag

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

WakeMyDreaams

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
I've had mine for a month and a half, I have the cellular version. Here's what I've noticed over the month of using the device:

1.) Significant drain on battery life. I used to get about two days of moderate usage (browsing web through WiFi, texting, a little bit of gaming, drawing) on it's first week before having to charge it. Now I have to charge it every night as it kind of dies on me around 6pm.

2.) WiFi connectivity issues. Signal drops then comes back again. I've never had any problems with this at first, only AFTER updating to 4.2.2 so I think it's probably a software issue? I'm not sure though.

3.) Screen isn't as responsive and smooth as it was when I first bought the device. A little bit laggy, some stutters here and there, especially when surfing the web. Also, I hate how the keyboard stutters when I am typing a message, like it doesn't recognize keyboard taps and I have to really tap on a letter to get it typing, and this is one huge problem for me as I use my Note 8.0 as my primary texting device.

Other than that, it's a great device! S-Pen functionality works really well, and I recommend this to people who like to draw, and love note-taking on tablets. One advice though, I wouldn't recommend using this device as a phone, as with the keyboard problem and all. :)

Andhie Bhoi

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
My Samsung Galaxy Note didn't continue opening up to the home screen. it was stucked to the samsung logo after switching on the device and getting warm. any help or suggestion? thanks

TekNinja81

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I've mostly been enjoying my Note (the Canadian/Telus SGH-i467m LTE model) with the exception of what seems to be 2 very common problems:

• Touchscreen input freezes/unresponsive for 2-3 seconds at a time, can be as frequently as 30-60 seconds apart...
  • Battery level/drain is inconsistent, but often drains rapidly to 0% once it hits around 15-25%. i.e. within less than 30 minutes.

I'm looking to hopefully exchange mine for another unit, just sent Telus an email regarding the issues. That said, I am a bit worried that the replacement will exhibit the same problems. If so, I'm debating whether it's worthwhile to put up with that until Samsung (hopefully) gets a proper fix out, or try to fight with the carrier to return the unit for a refund. As much as I love Android and the Note series, issues like these are very disruptive to the enjoyment of the device and also to getting work done on it. Here's hoping I get lucky with the replacement...

dudeeg

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I wish for a successful replacement. Stange that you have unresponsive touch screen. I've never had such issue. Of course if an app is badly written and has a huge cpu load then this can happen. But in overall, this should not happen with this device.

Posted via Android Central App

laja91

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I've had mine for about 4 months and the power key has become very "sticky", meaning it's harder to press. Gives a mushy feeling. I also have the squeaky plastic sound. Still love the Note 8. Just wish the quality was better. Maybe I just ended up with a bad one. :-\

crossy

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Anyone tried a replacement keyboard for the lag/stutter issue? I had responsiveness problems with the Samsung on-screen keyboard on my Note 10.1 (2012 edition) and replaced it with Swiftkey, which seems a whole heap better. Realise it's the bigger model I've got, but I'm seeing both the hot-spot on the back and the UI lag - the latter only for the notifications area though (strange!) and the former only really when playing a game for a long time (so I'm thinking it's probably the processor area that's getting toasty). Every other time the Note 10.1 is responsive and cool running.

Interesting discussion btw, getting a Note 8 for my youngest daughter (12yo) to replace an old "firesale" HP Touchpad, so being warned about possible issues is kinda handy. Love my Note 10.1, so when she said she fancied a Tab 3 8.0 over an iPad Mini, I saw a chance to get something better than both of them for her! :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trexgameaz