Any way of getting a new battery for an obscure/out of production phone?

EsEllEmm

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello. I have used a Galaxy Note Edge since it came out (I think in 2014?) and I've always liked the phone, and new batteries for them from third party manufacturers are still out there. Every couple of years I pop a new battery in it. I've always liked having a phone that had a user replaceable battery since I stick with phones for so long.

But recently I saw how cheap Red Hydrogen One phones are now going for, and I decided to scoop one up. I wouldn't have paid $1300 for it, but for a $200 phone, I like it! My only problem is, will I ever be able to replace the battery on this thing when the time comes in a few years? It seems like replacement batteries for them are already few and far between. Since the phone is out of production and it was such a sales flop, I doubt there is any production line still cranking out new batteries for them anywhere on earth. So what will I be able to do in a few years to get a new battery? Is there any generic battery that I might be able to solder onto the existing ribbon cable, even if it's a little smaller than the original battery? I think this is actually a cool phone, and I'm bummed that it's might become pretty much unusable in a few years when the battery wears out.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Modifying the phone to use a different battery is risky to say the least. I wouldn't even attempt it unless you are willing to accept the risk of permanently bricking the phone.

Since you already know batteries are scarce, I would buy one or two ASAP. Put them in something like a Ziploc bag, suck the air out, then store them sealed in a refrigerator to limit the age based degradation. They will last longer stored in that condition than on a warehouse self.

EsEllEmm

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Aren't the pinouts of batteries for phones fairly standard? Is it really that risky to find a different battery? What are the ramifications of leaving a battery totally unused (and therefore discharged) even in a refrigerator for a few years?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Aren't the pinouts of batteries for phones fairly standard? Is it really that risky to find a different battery? What are the ramifications of leaving a battery totally unused (and therefore discharged) even in a refrigerator for a few years?
Any modification to a phone, especially if it involves soldering a new connector on a battery, involves risks. It's not something I would attempt, and only allow a shop to do if they have a written guarantee that they would replace the device if they damage it.

Li-ion batteries are not shipped discharged. They are shipped with a storage charge around 50-60% to help prolong their life while in storage. Batteries will self discharge over time, but storing in a refrigerator helps to limit the self discharge. If you have the ability, checking the voltage and adding a small charge to keep it in that half charged state would be even better.

EsEllEmm

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Any modification to a phone, especially if it involves soldering a new connector on a battery, involves risks. It's not something I would attempt, and only allow a shop to do if they have a written guarantee that they would replace the device if they damage it.

Li-ion batteries are not shipped discharged. They are shipped with a storage charge around 50-60% to help prolong their life while in storage. Batteries will self discharge over time, but storing in a refrigerator helps to limit the self discharge. If you have the ability, checking the voltage and adding a small charge to keep it in that half charged state would be even better.
Well, if it came down to having a brick of a phone, or at least a battery that doesn't last at all, vs a functioning phone, I'd probably take my chances with trying to fit in another battery.

But, I may try to grab up some batteries if I can find them cheap and try to keep them refrigerated and at a partial charge. Thanks for the tip.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Aren't the pinouts of batteries for phones fairly standard? Is it really that risky to find a different battery?

No. Look at the tear-downs of phones posted on ifixit.com and you'll see that batteries are not "standard". As evident with the Note 7 fiasco - batteries and phones are designed together, otherwise Samsung could have just found another battery to put in place to fix the problem. It's not just the pinouts but also the size of the battery itself.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
What do you mean, "obsolete." I'm still using a phone that came out in 2014 right now, and it works fine.
It depends on the definition of works fine.
Yes, you can get a 6 year old device to work but its no longer getting security updates and its probably much slower than a new device and certain app won't update because of an outdated OS. Even if you did get 6 years out of a past device, that's no guarantee going forward as things change.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
What do you mean, "obsolete." I'm still using a phone that came out in 2014 right now, and it works fine.

I still have a Note 4, while it may still work there are apps that are incompatible with it and it's no longer secure, I'd never activate it again or do anything with sensitive data like banking or shopping.

Then there is the Note 3, only one year older and a ton of apps are no longer compatible, can't even use Facebook Messenger on them anymore. Then the hardware is so dated it doesn't support VoLTE and Verizon will no longer activate them because once their CDMA network shuts down it will no longer be able to call/text. The network was supposed to shut down this year but it was delayed.

Phones become obsolete before the hardware quits working.

Windroid 2483

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
Will the phone turn on without a battery, so long as it's pluged in and "charging"? If so, then you could use an external battery, a power bank. But at that point, you might be better off just getting a new phone.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Will the phone turn on without a battery, so long as it's pluged in and "charging"? If so, then you could use an external battery, a power bank. But at that point, you might be better off just getting a new phone.
This thread is probably no longer relevant, but I've tried this before, plugging in with no battery. If I tried to turn it on, it would give me a "no battery" error. I've seen the occasional report from other users getting that error from a defective battery that is installed. So it's highly unlikely this idea will work with any phone.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Windroid 2483

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
This thread is probably no longer relevant
I disagree. The phone the OP's talking about may be long gone. But this thread's still relevant, as a new battery for an obscure/out of production phone is still an issue. Our goal isn't simply to help the OP, it's to help anyone with this problem.
I've tried [...] plugging in with no battery. If I tried to turn it on, it would give me a "no battery" error.
Then so long as the existing battery is still safe to use, and still holds some charge: The original battery can be used in conjunction with a power bank. But as I said, you're probably better off with a new phone at that point.

That said, the old phone's still useful in a role where it can remain pluged-in. For example, as a bedside alarm clock. Or at your desk to display some app, with information you want to keep track of (say, your roommate's a diabetic, and you want to keep track of his blood sugar level). There are certainly uses for an immobile mobile phone!

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I disagree. The phone the OP's talking about may be long gone. But this thread's still relevant, as a new battery for an obscure/out of production phone is still an issue. Our goal isn't simply to help the OP, it's to help anyone with this problem.

Then so long as the existing battery is still safe to use, and still holds some charge: The original battery can be used in conjunction with a power bank. But as I said, you're probably better off with a new phone at that point.

That said, the old phone's still useful in a role where it can remain pluged-in. For example, as a bedside alarm clock. Or at your desk to display some app, with information you want to keep track of (say, your roommate's a diabetic, and you want to keep track of his blood sugar level). There are certainly uses for an immobile mobile phone!

Rather than purchasing additional accessories such as power banks, it would be better to put that money towards a newer phone and recycle the one that no longer works.

Reactions: mustang7757

Windroid 2483

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
Rather than purchasing additional accessories such as power banks, it would be better to put that money towards a newer phone and recycle the one that no longer works.
I'd say that you're half-right:

You're right: I would not encourage the purchase of a power bank, simply to get more life out of a phone on its last legs! Computers (including smartphones), which are on thier last legs, are not worth much time or money to keep operational. There comes a point where replacing the computer is more efficient.

You're wrong: A power bank is not simply a tool to get more life out of a phone, which can't hold much charge. The power bank would remain a useful tool, even after replacing the old phone. That may well make a power bank worth the price.

On a related note: I disagree with your suggestion to recyclee the old phone. Moving onto a new phone need not mean recycling the old phone! Even when the old phone can't hold a charge, it still has its uses (as I explained in the last paragraph of my previous post).

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter