Anyone activated Nexus 4 on ATT

cyclejim

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Holy crap, AT&T just screwed up my nexus 4 upgrade also. Initially they set me up on a blackberry plan, so no hspa+, called back and they changed me to the right plan, said to restart and all would be well. It wasn't working on hspa+'still, so I added the APN settings from page 1 and now I'm getting close to 10mb down. Initially before I called the second time- speed test would not work on the download at all and I had high latency pings. Now my pings are around 134ms, which is a lot better than 240ms before and less than 1mb down. AT&T seriously needs to review their nexus 4 upgrade processes and stop screwing up the provisioning.

cyclejim

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
You only get the H+ when you're actually using data, your phone will drop back to just H when it's idle to save battery.

Try loading some webpages and keep an eye on the icon.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
But there is no actual H+ indicator on the phone is there? I am getting HSPA+ speeds but I have never seen anything other than H on my network indicator. In the settings I see it using HSPA 10 and 15 however.

cyclejim

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Yea I've tried them back and forth at first I thought they were faster but it did just seem to be network fluctuation.... I dunno if this could help with the issues of not being able to talk and surf the web at the same time , I'd like to know where theOP on xda found these

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Android Central Forums

Ugh, so I just noticed I cant talk and surf at the same time also. Any fix for that or is it not technically possible on the Nexus 4 and AT&T?

Thor20003

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
This thread was very helpful to me in getting everything set up correctly.

I was switching from the original Galaxy Note so I had to get a new micro SIM card from the AT&T store. In doing so, they completely cancelled my data plan and set me up as a "Pay Per" data plan. The stock WAP APN was working but the PHONE APN was not. This was the indicator that something was wrong.

I had to call AT&T to get my plan back. The AT&T rep was very nice and set me up as an "LG Optimus Nexus" in their system to get the right data plan. I am on "Unlimited data for Smartphone" and have been able to watch and see both of the 10 and 15 networks at times. However, like others, I never see the "H+" in the staus bar. I am not in an LTE area and am getting somewhere between 5-8Mbps with the PHONE APN settings.

I verified on mine last night that I can talk and surf at the same time, but just as I am typing this am wondering if that had anything to do with being on wifi. I will need to retest that today using only cell signal.

Thanks

thak

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys. Just switched from an iPhone 4 to a Nexus 4, and love the device itself.

I had to go to AT&T and get them to give me a new SIM and supposedly move me to a 4G data plan. Really nice sales manager girl helped me out. I've created a new APN. All the standard information is similar to what you guys have, but I'm having similar issues to Thor20003.

APN type: default,supl,agps,fota,dun

(I just found this on some forum, not sure what you folks would recommend).

I've tried a few different settings for APN type and I NEVER seem to get H+, even when running speed tests. I'm in Washingon DC. I did have the H+ indicator when I was in the store, but I only live like 3/4 a mile from the store, so I would assume I'd get it here too. I'm only getting about 3/1 on the speed test, even when choosing a server in Reston, VA which is really close, and I'm getting TERRIBLE pings.

Any ideas?

imgur: the simple image sharer

yLJkO5z

(the image doesn't seem to want to show, womp)

I feel like I should go back to the store or give them a call to make sure I'm on a 4G data plan.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone just cut the SIM card down to micro SIM and put it in their Nexus 4 and not even tell AT&T?

If so did you have any problems? I am thinking of doing that. I currently have a GS2 Skyrocket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I did. I have not received a new SIM since my Skyrocket on ATT. I cut it down and have used in it in my SGSIII and Note 2 and Nexus 4. Not really trying to keep them from knowing but sometimes going to the store can cause more issues than it solves.

I did noticed when my SIM was in my Nexus 4 and I checked something online in my account that it still said my device was a Note 2. it usually changes to the phone I am using.

mosley04

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm a little confused. I came from a SG III and I put the sim right in and my phone works fine. I get MMS and data seems to be relatively speedy. I know H+ never stays permanently. Are the settings that come up by default incorrect? What are the manual apn settings supposed to fix or help?

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm a little confused. I came from a SG III and I put the sim right in and my phone works fine. I get MMS and data seems to be relatively speedy. I know H+ never stays permanently. Are the settings that come up by default incorrect? What are the manual apn settings supposed to fix or help?

What carrier are you on?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGSIV-I858 using Android Central Forums

mosley04

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
At&T. I do notice that sometimes the bars randomly disappear even when I'm sitting in the same place in an area that has full coverage.

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
At&T. I do notice that sometimes the bars randomly disappear even when I'm sitting in the same place in an area that has full coverage.

In am on ATT coming from iPhone 5 I just used the same Sim put the adapter on to change it from nano to micro and bam everything works I used the APN settings from this forum removed pta changed to phone and ways have all bars full H 10 and 15 speeds here are my resutls.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359945971691.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359945971691.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 72

mosley04

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I used the first apn settings I saw and I saw not much difference except that I could actually run speed test. What page shows the best settings.

Ziplock

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Maybe one of you could help me with my settings... Right now im using the stock apn on a ATT gophone sim, it says H in the corner and im getting data BUT I can't clock my data speed with the speed test app. I can however test it at mobilespeedtest.com doing the 1mb test im getting speeds of around 2712kbps. I just wanna get the speed test app working just for ease of mind LOL. I had a pre 3 before and all they did at the store was change sims to a micro.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Your APN proxy needs to be set to a blank value. AT&T blocks speedtest.net otherwise.

Maybe one of you could help me with my settings... Right now im using the stock apn on a ATT gophone sim, it says H in the corner and im getting data BUT I can't clock my data speed with the speed test app. I can however test it at mobilespeedtest.com doing the 1mb test im getting speeds of around 2712kbps. I just wanna get the speed test app working just for ease of mind LOL. I had a pre 3 before and all they did at the store was change sims to a micro.

Ziplock

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
thanks, I tried to leave it blank and it wouldnt save so I tried phone and it didnt work..... Do you know what I should put exactly in the apn proxy field? thanks again

rotusrotus

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Hello,
Has anyone activated the nexus 4 on ATT? How did you do that? Did you go to an ATT store ? Did the phone work with no problems with ATT?
Does ATT have to set up with settings so MMS, Text messaging all that work?
Thanks

I went into an AT&T store and they activated it in 5 minutes. Gave me a microsim free of charge and I inserted it into my phone and was up and running. They were not allowed by policy to set the APN but the phone set up an AT&T APN on its own. My data downloads were initially a bit slow but I found a decent apn on one of the nexus 4 forums and I am now getting 9-10Mbps HSPA+ downloads in the SF Bay Area. MMS works great as well. No problems at all. I have Youmail running on my phone as well.

mr_hicksta

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I went into an AT&T store and they activated it in 5 minutes. Gave me a microsim free of charge and I inserted it into my phone and was up and running. They were not allowed by policy to set the APN but the phone set up an AT&T APN on its own. My data downloads were initially a bit slow but I found a decent apn on one of the nexus 4 forums and I am now getting 9-10Mbps HSPA+ downloads in the SF Bay Area. MMS works great as well. No problems at all. I have Youmail running on my phone as well.

The process at AT&T was extremely easy for me as well. Would you mind sharing which APN you're using?

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Well I did it all myself! Last night I cut my regular SIM card from my Galaxy S2 Skyrocket. Found a template online and cut it with some very sharp kitchen scissors. When I first tried to put it in the Micro SIM tray it was still way too big. So I had to cut a little extra plastic off and then I filed the edges. It then fit like a glove. Fired up my 16GB Nexus 4, everything synced from my Google account so effortlessly, connected it to my secure Wi-Fi at home, and all of my apps downloaded without any problems. I then got an OS update to 4.2.1. That installed fine.

I then went in and changed the APN settings to the ones quoted below from a post earlier in this thread. They changed without problems and my first speed test got 3.0 mbps down and 1.1 mbps up. That's not that great but I was at home and it's not the best spot to do a test. I will do other tests and report back. But at this point I have no complaints. I tested text messaging, phone calls, and basic web usage on AT&T HSPA+ with these APN settings and they were pretty good.

Sure thing, here's what I've got.

Name: ATT LTE
APN: PTA
Proxy: not set
Port: not set
Unsername: not set
Password: not set
Server: not set
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentation Type: blank
APN Type: default,mms,supl,hipri (I'm not sure if the order here matters) You can also try adding in "admin" as well.
APN Protocol: IPv4/IPv6
APN roaming protocol IPv4/IPv6
APN enable/disable checked and grayed
out on my phone
Bearer: unspecified

These were specified on XDA as the settings to use if you're coming from an S3(specifically with an S3 LTE sim, and data plan) Hope that helps!

Gamer_Radar

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a GS3 I just popped it in.. But! I now have to call ATT since they effed something up when I sold the s3 lol.

When you have a new Sim and you go to activate it. They usually ask for the IMEI number for the phone. That way you're on the right phone plan....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332