Anyone buying the Spectrum?

mlg2919

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Bought the phone on launch day. So far I really like it. Have tried both the Rezound and GNex and I feel this is better than both. Not saying this phone is perfect, but no phone is. Just comparing plusses and minuses from all phones, this one is best for me and I really feel people should be taking a good hard look at this phone. Beautiful large display, nice camera, UI seems better than that on the Nitro HD and less resource intensive than Sense. So far I haven't found any bugs and no issues with apps running.

How is the reception 4G, 3G, etc? How is speaker sound and volume? What do you like about the LG over the Rezound?

tazcordo

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Reception is just as good as the Rezound. I like the bigger screen. It is only .2 bigger, but everything seems much easier to see. Volume on speaker is a tiny bit better on the Rezound. Buttons on Spectrum are easier to push, lighter phone, I like having a customizable dock, dlna works great. When using bluetooth to stream music to my car, the display will show song and album information. I could not figure a way to do that on the Rezound or GNex. I like the charging dock for the Spectrum. It comes with a spare battery. Battery life is slightly better also, especially in standby.

Reactions: mlg2919

wpwoodjr

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Bought the phone on launch day. So far I really like it. Have tried both the Rezound and GNex and I feel this is better than both. Not saying this phone is perfect, but no phone is. Just comparing plusses and minuses from all phones, this one is best for me and I really feel people should be taking a good hard look at this phone. Beautiful large display, nice camera, UI seems better than that on the Nitro HD and less resource intensive than Sense. So far I haven't found any bugs and no issues with apps running.

How's the battery life?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I was able to score the one and only spectrum on ebay for $405. I would have had a problem with it, but I also just sold a RAZR for $480 that I got on ebay for $370.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Now I'm second guessing whether to pull the trigger. Its a great phone, but I'm really concerned about getting it sold quickly if I decide not to keep it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

knightshade

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Was hoping to see some hands on impressions from folks who pulled the trigger.

My original Droid has seen better days, and it is time for a replacement....
I don't like the fact that you can't swap out batteries on the Razr's
and am looking for a larger screen than what I have now.
I figure that leaves 4 phones on the field right now.
My old LG Env served me for many years, with no complaints... right up until I got the droid.
I've been toying with giving LG a try again.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Was hoping to see some hands on impressions from folks who pulled the trigger.

My original Droid has seen better days, and it is time for a replacement....
I don't like the fact that you can't swap out batteries on the Razr's
and am looking for a larger screen than what I have now.
I figure that leaves 4 phones on the field right now.
My old LG Env served me for many years, with no complaints... right up until I got the droid.
I've been toying with giving LG a try again.

Go play with the Spectrum, Rezound, and Nexus at your local store. That's pretty much the only way to figure out what you want. The screen on the Spectrum is beautiful, and the hardware is really quite good. The only issue you might have, especially coming from an OG Droid, is the skin. Its VERY cartoony, and pretty much opposite of the Droid and stock android. I mean, its not totally horrible, but it is different.

Neph

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
Knightshade, I like you went from an Env to a Droid. I pulled the trigger and bought a Spectrum at launch. First and foremost, I will say that I miss having root. That will hopefully be fixed soon, but I've thrown everything I can at it and they have all failed. Secondly, this thing is a beast. The size is a bit daunting, but the screen clarity is beyond crisp. I gave up on the default UI and installed ADW and the ICS theme. It actually sped the phone up not having all the LG crap. The system itself is very responsive and I have not had issues running any apps so far.

Speed test in my area gave me 9Mbps down and 1Mbps up on the local 4G. PDAnet does not currently like connecting to my phone, but clockwork tether had no issues.

As for battery, I was getting about 4-5 hours of casual use and 16-24 on idle, so average was a charge lasted me my 10 hour shift and just a little extra. I also bought the extended battery pack this weekend. The Verizon here is running a half off sale, so it was worth it. The extended battery gets me thru a day plus some. 20 hours of idle + about 3 hours of playing with it and I was only at 50%. For me, the rubberized backing of the extended back also made it easier to keep a grip on the case, but it does tend to be an eye sore.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Knightshade, I like you went from an Env to a Droid. I pulled the trigger and bought a Spectrum at launch. First and foremost, I will say that I miss having root. That will hopefully be fixed soon, but I've thrown everything I can at it and they have all failed. Secondly, this thing is a beast. The size is a bit daunting, but the screen clarity is beyond crisp. I gave up on the default UI and installed ADW and the ICS theme. It actually sped the phone up not having all the LG crap. The system itself is very responsive and I have not had issues running any apps so far.

Speed test in my area gave me 9Mbps down and 1Mbps up on the local 4G. PDAnet does not currently like connecting to my phone, but clockwork tether had no issues.

As for battery, I was getting about 4-5 hours of casual use and 16-24 on idle, so average was a charge lasted me my 10 hour shift and just a little extra. I also bought the extended battery pack this weekend. The Verizon here is running a half off sale, so it was worth it. The extended battery gets me thru a day plus some. 20 hours of idle + about 3 hours of playing with it and I was only at 50%. For me, the rubberized backing of the extended back also made it easier to keep a grip on the case, but it does tend to be an eye sore.
Check out the Nitro forums here and on XDA. They're the same phone, so you may be able to achieve root using those methods.

Neph

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
Droid800 : I tried gingerbreak, and many other home brewed methods. Short of forcing a flash of a custom built recovery or hacked kernel, I am out of options at this point. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable flashing a recovery not specifically built for the phone until I can find a full system repair image from LG. I'd love to hear if someone else has success with it thou.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Droid800 : I tried gingerbreak, and many other home brewed methods. Short of forcing a flash of a custom built recovery or hacked kernel, I am out of options at this point. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable flashing a recovery not specifically built for the phone until I can find a full system repair image from LG. I'd love to hear if someone else has success with it thou.

Understandable. I'd give it a week or so and then there should be something that's usable. That's a benefit of lg not locking down their handsets.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
huangsenyuan