Anyone else go from Maxx to M?

reyxlp

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I went from the Maxx to the M and I'm glad I made the switch in every way except the battery.

Did I just take for granted how awesome the Maxx battery life is or does the battery on the
M totally suck?

A little perspective from others who made the same exact switch would be much appreciated...

Thanks!

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I got the M for my girlfriend. I use a Galaxy Nexus and actually I was impressed with the phone. I hated my Droid 2 and swore I would never buy another Motorola Android again. But the M is a great phone for the price. I tried to get her to get the GS3, but she insisted on the M, and I gave in. Gotta love that she wanted a cheap phone, I told her the iPhone is free, and she told me to GTFOH! Love this woman! Anyway, here is my quick review of it.

The screen is actually pretty nice. I kept hearing online that it is bad if you are used to a 720p screen (like my nexus), but it is actually not bad at all. You can see a difference, if you hold it a inch from your head, but it's better than my old Thunderbolt screen for sure. The edge to edge screen is actually better than I thought, I like it. I did not have any accidental touches, like I thought I would.

Software thoughts. Coming from a Nexus I didn't expect anything great from Motorola here, especially after the D2. Once again I was shocked to see that the os was fast and smooth and not very much blur. I like swiping left from the home screen and having a list of quick settings shown. I also do like the weather, time, and battery widget on the home screen and how you can swipe it.

Actual design thoughts. I like the look. It's thin, with none of the chin the razr and razr maxx have. I like seeing the torx screws on the sides of the phone, and the teflon back. Black looks better to me, not a fan of the white one. I think a dark blue would look good. It is not too light, which I hate about my Nexus(I feel like it will break easy), but well balanced weight distribution. Non removable battery is something I'm not sure if I like or not, yet. I will see how this battery hold up. Battery life seems to be about the same as my Nexus with the 2100 MaH battery so far, time will tell.

UGH. Bloatware. Coming from a Nexus the bloat on this phone is sickening. Amazon App store, FB, and many, many more are preloaded. I hate that. I am okay with the 2 apps Verizon put on the Nexus, but it is a bit ridiculous all the bloat they loaded on this phone.

Haven't really tested the camera or anything else. I only had about a half hour of hands on time. Mostly just setting it up for her,like her data limit. Best thing is I am locked into umlimited data now untill this time 2014!, since I nicely transferred my upgrade to her line.

I can see Google had a hand in this. Even with blur, I thought it was fast, no real lag issue, and a well designed phone. For $99 on contract, it can't be beat IMO.

Too sum up. I like where this new Motorola is heading. I was actually impressed be the M. The only thing that would drive me nuts in the long run is all that bloat. Can't stand it, but that's why we have root!

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I went from the Maxx to the M and I'm glad I made the switch in every way except the battery.

Did I just take for granted how awesome the Maxx battery life is or does the battery on the
M totally suck?

A little perspective from others who made the same exact switch would be much appreciated...

Thanks!

I love the battery on the M. I had the Tbolt with a 2750 battery and my M lasts much longer. I had the GNex for a week and the M easily blows it away.

Sent from my Razr

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I never had a Maxx, but I easily get 16+ hours a day out of the phone with 2-3 hours if screen on time and up to an hour of talk time. I use as much Wi-fi as possible.

tlacour

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have both the M and the Maxx. The smaller size and "edge to edge" screen on the M are very nice. Now when I pick up the Maxx it feels clunky and awkward with all that space around the screen.
I charge my phones over night and they get a boost in the car mount during my commute to and from work. Because the M seems to charge much faster, it tops off quicker in the car. As a result, I'm getting about the same battery performance.
ICS seems much more comfortable on the M. I haven't had specific problems on the Maxx since the upgrade, but it doesn't feel natural running ICS. Feels forced and uncomfortable. On the M, ICS is smooth as silk. Very responsive and quick.
The only real drawback for the M is the reception. My Maxx has a much better antenna. Holding side by side, the Maxx consistently holds 4g better at work and home, both of which have poor 4g signal.

wade7ll9

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree with your comment "no accidental touches". I was a bit nervous about this myself but glad to say no issue at all. I think this may be due to the slightly raised edge around the screen- if this was a conscious design feature... then kuddos to moto for this thoughtful detail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
accessibilitys88