Anyone else hung up on getting this phone because of the camera?

cyanogen123

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I really like this phone but everything I've read about the camera basically says it sucks. The latest firmware update apparently improved it a lot but most reviews have said it just takes crappy pictures compared to anything 8mp+. It's a shame because zoe looks like a really fun feature but whats the point if the camera takes horrible pictures?

I have an iphone 4s right now and I use the camera feature a lot. I really wanted to upgrade to this phone (mostly because I'm just sick of iOS) but I just can't seem to justify it to myself if it will be a downgrade in camera quality which is one of the features I use most on my phone. I feel like if HTC just kept everything else the same and went with the standard high megapixel reliable camera (that maybe isn't ideal for lowlight but better overall for everyday use) this purchase would have been a no brainer for me and I wouldn't have even considered not getting this phone.

Billy Simmons

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Not at all, its like me not buying a laptop because it doesn't have a webcam. I don't need super duper high megapixel cameras to make me think a camera is good or not, or think I am gonna be a national geographic photographer by using my cell phone camera.

Check out this thread on another forum that I frequent, it has actual user photos.

http://androidforums.com/htc-one/702398-post-your-photos.html

and this one that has photography people talking about Ultrapixel

http://androidforums.com/htc-one/690754-camera-talk-ultrapixel-more-keep-thread-topic.html

The camera is all I'm going to need posting pictures of my dogs or social outings to facbook or sending them to other cell phones

mistyisland

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I am getting it for the camera. I have fallen in love with the Zoes. I think it is a great way to organize a day at the beach, for example, into a fun memory. I'm also getting it for the call quality, which is stellar, by all reports.

Also, it is not always about the number of megapixels. The sensors also have a lot to do with it. I have seen pics from the HTC One that outshine whatever they are comparing it with. I think there has been some issues with the software, and hope that we get a more updated version.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
The HTC One has an excellent camera, I haven't read anywhere of people saying it sucks. In fact it's one of the best cameras in a smartphone that you can get on the market. Out of the 2013 crop of phones, I've only ever read it losing a comparison to the S4 but it's still a fantastic camera when taking it's quality and Zoe features into consideration. The only problem is that the camera I'd say is mostly meant for social media purposes. Meaning that since it's only 4MP you're not going to get as much detail in photos as you would with higher MP cameras. But for just taking pics and uploading them online it's more than decent.

cyanogen123

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
The HTC One has an excellent camera, I haven't read anywhere of people saying it sucks. In fact it's one of the best cameras in a smartphone that you can get on the market. Out of the 2013 crop of phones, I've only ever read it losing a comparison to the S4 but it's still a fantastic camera when taking it's quality and Zoe features into consideration. The only problem is that the camera I'd say is mostly meant for social media purposes. Meaning that since it's only 4MP you're not going to get as much detail in photos as you would with higher MP cameras. But for just taking pics and uploading them online it's more than decent.

my old iphone 3g takes photos that are adequate for social networking sites. That doesn't change the fact that the camera sucks. That is just a strawman argument.

jaymars

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Let's be honest, if it's this big of a debate across the net, the camera obviously isn't too strong. Most pics I've seen posted from the One are relatively subpar and a lot of the ones that look good have been manipulated and not shot in spur of the moment situations. I know people will say if you expect pro shots, get a pro camera. Save it. There's no excuse for having a below average camera today, which is what the One has right now. Wouldn't be a big detriment to me, as I don't take a lot of pictures, but something to consider if great pics are important.

indomie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't know... maybe I'm just reading more pro-HTC One reviews & articles, but most of what I'm seeing seems to be fairly positive on the One camera. I am quite hopeful that the whole "Ultrapixel technology" really works out & that picture quality indoors and in low light will be improved over the capability of most cameras. When I take pics with my phone, I am almost always taking them either to send to other people or to post to facebook. Only rarely do I print out pictures that I take off my phone, and I don't think I've ever blown a picture up beyond the normal print size. If I think something truly momentous is going to happen or I'm on vacation, I have a very nice pocket camera which is versatile & takes amazing low light pictures. As much as I'd love a dslr, I know I'd be annoyed having to lug it around...

As long as the low light performance is decent, I think I'm going to be more than happy with the HTC One. The special features like Zoe, etc, also have me excited to try out & see if I'll actually use more regularly. I just don't think this phone will take "crappy" pictures, and the camera is actually (still) a selling point for me.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
my old iphone 3g takes photos that are adequate for social networking sites. That doesn't change the fact that the camera sucks. That is just a strawman argument.

Let's cool it with the strawman accusations. I don't have the phone nor do I plan on picking one up so I don't have a need to shamelessly defend the phone. What I posted is the general consensus of tech sites that have had time to use the camera, I'm more keen to taking their word over you brashly claiming it sucks with no substance to back it up. If you know it sucks then why make a thread inquiring about it?

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Let's be honest, if it's this big of a debate across the net, the camera obviously isn't too strong. Most pics I've seen posted from the One are relatively subpar and a lot of the ones that look good have been manipulated and not shot in spur of the moment situations. I know people will say if you expect pro shots, get a pro camera. Save it. There's no excuse for having a below average camera today, which is what the One has right now. Wouldn't be a big detriment to me, as I don't take a lot of pictures, but something to consider if great pics are important.

It's not really a big debate, at least when it comes to cameras. It's more about the Galaxy S4 vs HTC One and Android superiority, and the fanboys propping up their respective device. If you don't like the camera then don't buy the phone, it's not that hard. I'm sure the camera will suit some people just fine for what it does.

jaymars

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
No. It's a debate. There are dozens of articles comparing it to all cameras, not just Android phones and, aside from the low light shots, the One comes up short with everyone in the comments talking about "true to life" colors. No one cares, they just want shots that look good. Even the reviews that praise the phone admit the camera is suitable at best. The consensus is it's a great phone with a compromising camera.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I think zoes are a gimmick that I would never use and I think people will get tired of them quickly. That's just my opinion and that being said I wouldn't not get this phone because of the camera. It looks to be pretty promising actually

Sent from my Note 2

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't know... maybe I'm just reading more pro-HTC One reviews & articles, but most of what I'm seeing seems to be fairly positive on the One camera.
I must be reading the same reviews. What I've read states that the low light performance is way better than anything else and the daytime shots are good, but not great. But then there was this mythical camera update, which some say didn't really update anything, that fixed the day time shots and they're actually much better now. Guess ill just have to wait to see for myself.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I think zoes are a gimmick that I would never use and I think people will get tired of them quickly. That's just my opinion and that being said I wouldn't not get this phone because of the camera. It looks to be pretty promising actually

Sent from my Note 2

I think being able to make that all from a phone is cool, you can't do that with any other phone. But it probably will be a gimmick for some people, other people will go on to make creative things out of it.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I really like this phone but everything I've read about the camera basically says it sucks. The latest firmware update apparently improved it a lot but most reviews have said it just takes crappy pictures compared to anything 8mp+. It's a shame because zoe looks like a really fun feature but whats the point if the camera takes horrible pictures?

I have an iphone 4s right now and I use the camera feature a lot. I really wanted to upgrade to this phone (mostly because I'm just sick of iOS) but I just can't seem to justify it to myself if it will be a downgrade in camera quality which is one of the features I use most on my phone. I feel like if HTC just kept everything else the same and went with the standard high megapixel reliable camera (that maybe isn't ideal for lowlight but better overall for everyday use) this purchase would have been a no brainer for me and I wouldn't have even considered not getting this phone.

The camera is still awesome and better than the 4s. All the reviews are comparing it to the current flagship phones and it's still holding it's own in many opinions.

Sent from my HTC One

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site

Sent from my Note 2

Zoes as 3-second videos are a gimmick. But here's the thing -- you often get better individual pics out of those Zoes. Remember that along with the 3-second mp4 you get 20 or so jpgs -- and those often are of better quality than a single image you might have snapped.

At least that's been my experience.

Billy Simmons

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Here is a side by side of an iphone 5 pic and an HTC One pic taken by a user of both phones. Both stock, both with same focus item. Iphone 5 is the first picture

Original link: http://androidforums.com/5697330-post88.html

photo.jpg

IMAG0002.jpg

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Not being the best and being bad are not the same thing... like many of the subsequent posters, just about every review I've seen, read or heard has said great indoors, great low-light, better than average outdoors. As Phil said, Zoes give more opportunity for a good shot to occur by giving you 20 or so to choose from.

If you're expecting to win photography awards, you'll probably want to buy an actual camera... I can get great photos from my Galaxy Nexus with a little patience and practice and we all know that camera is total garbage. The HTC One camera is better by far than the GNex AND AND AND!!!!! takes away a lot of the need for patience, which from what I can tell about 2013... patience is dead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bongo