Anyone miss using a smaller phone?

uw

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have a S20 FE. Great phone. Love everything about it, except the size. I guess it's considered a normal size phone now days. On a whim, I bought a used smaller size Pixel 3 for cheap on eBay. Man, that's been refreshing to use. Love the small footprint and being able to do everything with one hand. I would love to use the Pixel 3 as my daily, but I need to battery size of my FE. I guess that's the main drawback with smaller phones. Anyways, I'm now using the Pixel as my weekend phone and the FE as my weekday/work phone.

Anyone else get a smaller phone as a 'weekend' phone or as your daily driver?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I went from the Pixel 2XL to the Pixel 4a 5G. While the screens are similar size, the overall size of the 4a 5G went down. Sometimes it's refreshing, but I also miss the heft of the 2XL sometimes.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a S20 FE. Great phone. Love everything about it, except the size. I guess it's considered a normal size phone now days. On a whim, I bought a used smaller size Pixel 3 for cheap on eBay. Man, that's been refreshing to use. Love the small footprint and being able to do everything with one hand. I would love to use the Pixel 3 as my daily, but I need to battery size of my FE. I guess that's the main drawback with smaller phones. Anyways, I'm now using the Pixel as my weekend phone and the FE as my weekday/work phone.

Anyone else get a smaller phone as a 'weekend' phone or as your daily driver?

I'm currently using the Pixel 3 as my daily driver. Had the Note 10+ for a while and ended up selling it and going back to my Pixel 3 (for a few reasons, buy size/form factor was definitely one of those reasons). Was thinking about getting a Pixel 5 as it's almost identical in size to the 3 but has better battery (and brighter screen from what I've gathered) but I think I will hold off and see what the Pixel 6 has to offer.

Overall though I am with you, I really appreciate smaller devices but it's hard to find a decent one that manufacturers aren't crippling and omitting features that the larger variants have.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Even though my S10 is likely considered to be "smaller" by today's standards, I definitely do miss using smaller phones. My Honor 8 was the perfect size, at 5.2", and my Pixel 2 was great to hold at 5".

I hope a manufacturer out there will still make a smaller phone for those of us who still enjoy using them!

uw

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Overall though I am with you, I really appreciate smaller devices but it's hard to find a decent one that manufacturers aren't crippling and omitting features that the larger variants have.

This. Is it too much to ask for a smaller phone with top line specs? I was also looking at S10e, but still too expensive in the secondary market. Hopefully some high end smaller phones will come out this fall. Just not the foldables.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
what does a small phone look like? :) I sure don't miss them. I specifically was looking for a larger phone when I found the original note. My eyesight aint what it used to be.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Bought the S7 because I wanted something smaller than the Note and kept using it until the battery gave out.

Don't want a small phone for daily use anymore but it was nice for hiking and music festivals.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently using the Pixel 3 as my daily driver. Had the Note 10+ for a while and ended up selling it and going back to my Pixel 3 (for a few reasons, buy size/form factor was definitely one of those reasons). Was thinking about getting a Pixel 5 as it's almost identical in size to the 3 but has better battery (and brighter screen from what I've gathered) but I think I will hold off and see what the Pixel 6 has to offer.

I agree with your last paragraph so much! I wish they'd make smaller phones with awesome specs for those of us who want smaller, flagship-level devices.

I too may wait for the Pixel 6 to show up, to see what they bring to the table. Otherwise, I may just grab a Pixel 5 or 5a, if they release that one in the future or at all.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I miss having a smaller phone everytime I try to pull my Note20U out of my purse. It bumps into & gets snagged on things as I try to remove it.

My Blackberries & even my Galaxy s5 slid nicely into an interior purse pocket. But my N20U bounces around like a pinball bouncing off the flippers. ;)

However, as I'm typing this, I'm glad I have a larger phone. :)

Last edited:

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I've gone back and forth between bigger (Nexus 6, 6P, Pixel 2XL) and smaller (LG G2, Nexus 5, 5x, Pixel 2) phones for years. The big screen phones are great for media consumption while the smaller phones are more convenient when you need something more compact. Now I've decided to keep the Pixel 4XL and Pixel 3 as my main phones. Also have the tiny 3.3" screen Palm Phone for when I go on long runs or hikes.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Small phones are not ideal for typing unless you're only swiping.

Other than the above, they're cool but harder to come by these days.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Looks like Sony is making the Xperia Compact for 2021 with 5 or 5.5" screen. Always liked the build quality of Sony phones and how they put the fingerprint reader on the side.

image-140.jpg

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
YES!
I use a pixel 2 and an iPhone SE20 and I wish I could find a good replacement android phone as the pixel 2 is getting a bit long in the tooth and is still a little bigger than I want. I recall about 18 years ago I had an HP windows pro phone with a 3" screen and whenever I pulled it out I'd frequently get looks regarding the larger screen size. 3" LOL! How times change!
I really like the size of the SE20 and am currently using it.
Unfortunately the pixel 5 IMHO was a big disappointment for me personally so I passed on it. It is a fraction smaller than the pixel 2 and I would have gotten it probably if not for the crap top speaker. I know some argue it is fine for them but wasn't for me and seemed a downgrade in speaker experience to me. My Pixel 2 has a better sounding dual speaker set up and is 3 years older, that's embarrassing for google IMHO and a no sale.
Since Apple has made the 12 mini and it is a hit with smaller size phone lovers maybe an android manufacturer will get a clue and do something similar.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have an s20 fe and love it. However, I still have my original Droid Incredible that had a track pad built in. What a great device and small size it was! I feel it's too small for emails but everything else it would still be great. Running Froyo as well.

politebat2001

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
nope, not at all. I have large hands so I have no use for them. Bought the new pixel and brought it back the same week, way too small. I'm using the Fold 2 right now, so it fits pretty well.

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Definitely!

I originally pre-ordered the S21 Ultra, coming from a Galaxy S8. I went to Best Buy to check out the phones and the Ultra is just too big. It wouldn't fit in back pocket. After handling the Ultra, I cancelled the pre-order and changed it to the base S21. The base is only marginally bigger physically than my S8, which is perfect. The ability to be mobile with a mobile phone is very important.

Evilguppy

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Oh no, not me, nonononono.
My close up vision is atrocious, I want a BIG screen. I'm pretty happy with my N20U and when I switch, it'll be to the Fold. 😁

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max mays