APP for sending Pictures to a senior mom?

Andi24

May 22, 2024
Visit site
Hi,
I'm searching days for an app to send pictures to my mom.
She has Dementia and can not work with a tablet.
The Tablet should be always on and if I'm sending a picture with a app on my Smartphone it should be displayed on her Tablet.

Maybe a remote app?

regards

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I've used CEIVA Snap to send photos. You use their service to purchase a frame, and with a contract, you can send photos from your phone to it.

Andi24

May 22, 2024
Visit site
Thanks, but the frame is out of stock and it is 100$ a year, thats to expensive for me.
i would prefere a android APP and i've a 10" amazon tablet lying around

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree that a digital picture frame would be the best option, and there are others. We use one from Frameo that we bought from amazon for my mother-in-law for similar reasons. Their app is easy to use, the display is pretty good quality, you can send pictures and video, you can select an area of an image to always be viewable regardless of display orientation and there's no subscription fee. She's had it for a few years or so.

The only down side would be having to delete files from the frame itself if the SD card gets too full. I don't think you can delete remotely from the app.

Since you have that tablet, I would personally try to sell it and use that money to buy the digital picture frame. You may be able to figure out a way to make the tablet work, but I'm a believer in using purpose built devices. For example, your mom may start fooling around with the tablet and get something messed up. The digital frame does only one thing, limiting the chances of something getting borked. Getting this working on the tablet may be more trouble that it's worth, and you may even profit a bit depending on how much you get from it if you sell it.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You could use the Screensaver function on the tablet and set it to display a photo album from Google Photos.

First, create a photo album in your Google Photos with the photos you want her to see. I'm assuming the tablet will have your Google account, rather than hers, correct? If that's the case, then you don't have to worry about sharing the album.

On the tablet, go to the Screensaver option in the system settings and turn that on, set it to "While Charging", and select Photos as the screen saver. Then tap Customize, select your Google account, and then scroll down to find the album you created that you want her to see.

Now, as long as the tablet is plugged in, the screensaver should show up whenever it's idle (which I'm guessing would be most of the time). The photos that it cycles through will be from the Google Photos album you created -- and you can continuously update that album on your own device as you take more shots.

Andi24

May 22, 2024
Visit site
Thanks, tried several APPs on the Amazon Tablet, also tried Google Fotos.
All crap, does not works as needed and if there is a Update on the Tablet or whatever, my mother can not handle such things.
So i'm ordered a frameo10" Photoframe, I am curious ...

Reactions: B. Diddy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Probably the best approach, since you never know if an app on a tablet might glitch, requiring something like a reboot, or clearing the app cache.

Reactions: Andi24

Andi24

May 22, 2024
Visit site
The Frameo arrived,
it is not ideal, cause you can not delete images remotely and you must click on a button to display newly arrived pictures.
Since you can not delete pictures remotely the queue of pictures to display will be longer and loger ... and new pictures are only display once a hour or so.
If you know what your are doing the Frameo is a cool gadget, but if you are a dementia person it is useless in my opinion.
But i'll see it next week.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I was just thinking that a Nest Hub might be a good option. As I had suggested before, you would set it up using your own Google account, and have it show a specific Google Photos album as the screensaver. As you constantly update the album, the screensaver would also correspond to your updates.

Reactions: BerryBubbles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny