App update stuck in notifications

MikeWoot

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Apparently Facebook had an update recently which failed to download... Unfortunately I cant seem to make the notification go away, no matter what I do! I tried uninstalling the FB app, and reinstalling it. I tried restarting the phone. I tried clearing the data on the Google Play Store app, and the Google Play services app.

My phone is a T-Mobile Galaxy S2
running Android 4.0.3

Please review screenshot attachments for more info.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 15

jc411

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
my mom had this same issue. but she took her phone to the store & they fixed it for her. but I've read in some forums online that you have to turn on WIFI so it will download & go away.

Sent from my One V using Android Central Forums

MikeWoot

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Wow I can't believe that actually worked! I always have excellent 4G speeds with T-Mobile, it must be some kind of weird glitch.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Wow I can't believe that actually worked! I always have excellent 4G speeds with T-Mobile, it must be some kind of weird glitch.
Just Facebook p-ing off a lot of people. Yours happened late. Should have been around a few weeks ago. It was the only question being asked. Don't know if anyone ever saw an official statement why this was an acceptable practice by Facebook.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Just Facebook p-ing off a lot of people. Don't know if anyone ever saw an official statement why this was an acceptable practice by Facebook.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

No official statement. Just Facebook being Facebook. Pissing people off and being as sneaky as usual. Although from what I've heard and read the did blatantly violate the Google developers agreement. Here's a little more info on the update though.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/15/facebook-update-skirts-play-store/

Edit: Here s the AC page on it. Apparently later on they did update the correct way late. But the "download files without notification" permission is a little bit too far in my opinion.

http://m.androidcentral.com/facebook-updates-app-again-time-properly-through-play-store
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I was actually starting to feel left out because it never came to my phone. Then the other day I downloaded a file, went to the download manager to open it, and there was the Facebook file. It had downloaded and I didn't even know it because I never used the app - which I uninstalled after this mess.

Mirko Grujicic

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

Unfortunately, it's not the Facebook issue.
I downloaded a file as an Gmail attachment, did what I needed to do with it, but the active download icon in notification area is still active.
I've tried to clear application cache (Gmail, Downloads) to restart device, to activate WLAN only, 3G only. It didn't work.
I have Prestigio Multiphone Duo 4300 with Android 4.0.3.

Any idea?

Thanks
Mirko

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

Unfortunately, it's not the Facebook issue.
I downloaded a file as an Gmail attachment, did what I needed to do with it, but the active download icon in notification area is still active.
I've tried to clear application cache (Gmail, Downloads) to restart device, to activate WLAN only, 3G only. It didn't work.
I have Prestigio Multiphone Duo 4300 with Android 4.0.3.

Any idea?

Thanks
Mirko

Try force closing Gmail. This happens to me with Facebook uploads all the time, the only thing that works for me is the FC action.

What?! ...I'm msndrstood.
via Gnex

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Already tried. Didn't work... Thanks anyway
Clearing the download cache was the only other thing recommended for the Facebook issue so I'm out of ideas on how to get the download notification to go away. Even though it's not a problem with Facebook, I would read some of those threads and try anything else they suggested to see if it helps in this case. Good luck.