AT&T still using "5G-E" icon or not?

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Back at the end of May, AT&T was told stop advertising "5G-Evolution", as mentioned here: https://www.androidcentral.com/att-ditch-its-false-5g-evolution-branding-5ge-icon-isnt-going-away.

Also mentioned was that AT&T was not going to stop displaying the "5G-E" icon on their phones.

I had been getting the 5G-E icon in certain areas around my town starting around last January or so on my S9. Particularly while I'm at work in downtown Baton Rouge.

Of course, we know this isn't real 5G. In fact, speeds while getting the "5G-E" icon on my phone was actually slower than while getting "4G-LTE".

But, this week, I noticed I'm not seeing the 5G-E icon anymore. Just the regular 4G-LTE icon I'd always had before. Not downtown, or any of the two other places around town I had seen it.

Curious if AT&T actually decided to drop the icon for everyone in spite of what that article said, or maybe they are just playing around with the service locally?

For those who did get the 5G-E icon, are you still getting it?

Or is it just me?

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
My LG V30 running Android 9 still has the ATT 5Ge icon.
I am assuming that this level of icons is baked into the OS. I am not expecting -- but still wishing for -- any more OS updates from LG and ATT on my V30. I would expect that anyone running android 10+ probably has the updated icons.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Actually, after all that I posted, turns out I do still get the 5G-E icon in one part of town.

Still not downtown though.

Maybe they are still playing with the towers around here. Supposedly, AT&T turned real 5G on in town. I'm sure it's only in certain areas. But, I won't know as my phone is not a real 5G phone.

I thought maybe AT&T decided to stop misleading their customers. Guess I was wrong.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
not too sure if it is dependant on location. I sometimes get it at home and sometimes I don't. Right now I don't have it but an hour ago I had it. I wonder if it has more to do with signal strength.
For me depends where I'm at , home never see it, when I go closer to NYC its available.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Actually, after all that I posted, turns out I do still get the 5G-E icon in one part of town.

Still not downtown though.

Maybe they are still playing with the towers around here. Supposedly, AT&T turned real 5G on in town. I'm sure it's only in certain areas. But, I won't know as my phone is not a real 5G phone.

I thought maybe AT&T decided to stop misleading their customers. Guess I was wrong.

Perhaps when calling Baton Rouge it's affected.

Sorry, little Garth Brooks humor there.

Here in the 813 - Tampa - still got the 5GE booming all the way to county lines at least

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Most likely the 5G icon is just "5G".
If your phone supports 5G and your plan supports 5G you should see the icon automatically when you enter that area.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps when calling Baton Rouge it's affected.

Sorry, little Garth Brooks humor there.

Here in the 813 - Tampa - still got the 5GE booming all the way to county lines at least

I'm still seeing it only when I hit 2 specific areas of town. There are large areas I just haven't driven through in a long time, so there may be other pockets. But the areas I do pass through last maybe half a mile of the road I'm driving on before it drops back to LTE.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000