AT&T Variant Wireless Charging - PMA Again or Qi?

a22matic

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I just got off the phone w/AT&T and the representative looked the case up and said it was Powermat. Interesting...

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

ChazzMatt

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
What many here don't seem to understand is AT&T removed Qi charging for the G3 and stickers or backs didn't work to give you Qi charging. Only PMA charging was available on AT&T.

I personally refused to buy the G3 because you also couldn't buy it unlocked from the manufacturer, and even complained to AT&T about the issue.

scottysize - To clarify, once again.. I know the G4 does not have wireless charging out of the box. The issue of this thread is if the AT&T variant (with the correct case/back/sticker) will support the Qi Wireless Charging standard, or if it will be the PMA standard as it was with the G3.

EXACTLY. Last year I was able to help 3 friends with LG G3 phones buy Qi charging replacement back covers (about $20) from Europe which worked with Verizon, T-mobile, and Sprint -- but would NOT work with AT&T (who used powermat standard instead). Luckily they had T-mobile and Verizon.

All 4 major U.S. carriers had LG remove the Qi receiver circuitry from the back cover so they could sell $70 folio covers to re-enable the the wireless charging. But AT&T went a step further and changed from Qi to Powermat.

With the European replacement back covers (with Qi circuitry) that enabled the Qi charging capabilities by just placing the phone on the pad (even with a bumper case). Had the LG logo but no carrier branding -- another plus!

These were official LG back covers with Qi circuitry -- sold in Europe -- but you could get them off eBay here in the U.S.

But with AT&T, you were out of luck. Here in the U.S., these replacement covers only worked with Verizon, Sprint, T-mobile.

I refused to buy the LG G3 from AT&T because I have too many Qi wireless charging pads. I am only going to buy phones with that standard, and I refuse to use a stupid $70 "folio" cover to use my charging pads.

I've just won a new AT&T LG G4 through a pre-release marketing campaign. Will arrive in 8-10 weeks as soon as I fill out the eligibility forms. But I will sell it in a heartbeat if it's only Powermat crap once again.

_______
BOO!

On the AT&T website, the powermat charging pad is being offered as an LG G4 accessory:

Duracell Powermat PMA-3 Charging Mat - Silver

"LG G4 Accessory Bundle Offer: Offer ends 06/25/15, while promo supplies last, subject to change. Must buy an LG G4 smartphone via an AT&T NextSM installment agmt w/ qual. monthly wireless svc plan (voice & data) or a new 2-yr wireless agmt w/qual. monthly voice plan. Smartphone and accessories must be purchased together & req. bundled items to be in-stock. If Duracell powermat is not available, offer is available on Samsung powermat, while supplies last. Discounts: Bundle pricing may not be combinable w/ credits, discounts & offers.
"

Last edited:

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
scottysize - To clarify, once again.. I know the G4 does not have wireless charging out of the box. The issue of this thread is if the AT&T variant (with the correct case/back/sticker) will support the Qi Wireless Charging standard, or if it will be the PMA standard as it was with the G3.

My apologies. Not being an AT&T customer I had no idea about the Powermat.

a22matic

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Yep, that's why I bought an international version of the G4 this time. The Powermat issue was annoying. QI all the way...

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

ChazzMatt

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
No. The LG G4 does not have Qi Charging out of the box. It will take a new back cover or a sticker just like the G3 did when it came out. Why? Ask LG. They should have built it into their backs, but I'm guessing it was an expense thing, although, come on. It can't be that expensive.

Also, no the G3's sticker/back plate will not work.

With last year's G3, other regions of the world had the Qi receiver built into the back cover.

However, in the U.S., all 4 major carriers had LG remove it so they could sell you a $70 "folio" cover to re-enable the Qi charging. So, it wasn't that it was too expensive for LG, it was AT&T, Verizon, T-mobile, Sprint were too greedy.

The solution -- at least for Verizon, T-mobile, Sprint -- was to buy a wireless Qi sticker ($5 - $10) and install it on your back cover. But if you messed it up, it wouldn't work. Or for about $20, buy a replacement back cover from LG in Europe which had the Qi + NFC circuitry installed.

For the AT&T LG G3, you were just out of luck.

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Couldn't the phone theoretically support both Qi and Powermat? (I say theoretically because even if it's possible, it probably won't happen).

ChazzMatt

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Couldn't the phone theoretically support both Qi and Powermat? (I say theoretically because even if it's possible, it probably won't happen).

Yes, theoretically.

FOR: The Samsung Galaxy S6 supports both Qi and Powermat.

AGAINST: Last year's AT&T LG G3 did not support both. LG ripped out the Qi for AT&T to put in powermat.

When I get my free LG G4, I will investigate. It might support both but AT&T wouldn't admit it officially -- since they want to sell their Powermat accessories. Before I sell it on eBay, I will try a Qi + NFC replacement back cover from Europe once again... (when they become available soon).

dpend

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I'll still be interested to know which standard AT&T went for.. however, I cancelled my BestBuy pre-order today as I bit the bullet and ordered the unlocked International version from eBay on Sunday night, arrived today. I have to say, I'm impressed so far, more of a step up from my G3 than I thought it would be... plus it's Qi compatible for sure! Good luck to all those waiting on the AT&T and hoping it's Qi.

sfbates

Jan 24, 2011
www.twitter.com
Att's site shows the Folio case for sale with Qi. AT&T told me their LG G4 is compatible with the Qi folio case. Then again, i put little faith into the sales reps.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I just read somewhere that the AT&T case is PMA only and that the device might not even support the other cases with qi. Whole mess is stupid. I hope a solution comes out to just upgrade the backs. I'm going for the black leather and I'm not going to switch to a stupid plastic.

Posted via the Android Central App

sfbates

Jan 24, 2011
www.twitter.com
So I chatted with AT&T reps and all 3 said the same thing to me.
The AT&T phone will require a "special" AT&T case, but that case is Qi.

hmmm . .. .

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I am going by the store today. I will hopefully be able to pick up a leather one. My mom wants to break up the family plan, so best go ahead and upgrade. I just don't want the case. I just want a leather back with qi

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Everything I have read indicates that the AT&T G4 variant will again like the G3 work only with PMA. Just a guess but I would think with the investment that AT&T has made with PMA it is not unfathomable for them to force their customers again to use this system.
From another reputable site:
The only version of the G4 with PMA charging is the one AT&T will sell here in the United States.

The AT&T G4 will require an AT&T-specific Quick Circle case that supports the PMA standard. The AT&T version does not appear to support Qi charging. It also appears unlikely that AT&T's G4 will be able to use the Qi-enabled Quick Circle cases from other carriers or retailers here in the US.

Now that being said....I would not bet my life on any of this until we here from a member with the AT&T variant that tries wireless charging.

slick5150

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
So, if it's true that the AT&T variant is PMA only, if I go buy a T-Mobile version, will it work properly with AT&T's network?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There's a Qi receiver is available on eBay for the G4. And I'm sure we'll see more of them coming out of China soon. But for $9 including shipping, I wouldn't even bother asking AT&T, it's not worth the time.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Is there anyway to mod the g4 to use qi? I know the one plus one can be modded by wedging a sticker between the case and battery and it doesn't support wireless at all

ThreeofNine

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Just do some research people! But to help google LG G4 qi charging and you'll find Newisdom Qi wireless charging with NBC. I have the AT&T LG G4 and it works with my CHOE qi charger. It does not work with my Zen charger that I use for my Nexus 7

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm qi works fine on the at&t model as it's what I'm using and I installed a NeWisdom antenna on the battery cover and it works fine

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk