Atrix Gingerbread Initial Thoughts and Issues

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Now that the soak test is out there, the official release should be only (hopefully) a week or so away. Once you've gotten to play around with GB on the Atrix, post your thoughts on it and any issues you come across here. Please only post in this thread if you have actually downloaded and used the official GB update.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
this will be the thread for the official release as well, which should follow soon after the soak. if not, we can always hide it for the time being till the update releases

bdizzel1982

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm guessing they haven't officially started the soak yet because someone would have at least posted a screen shot of the build by now.

crisg723

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Got the official 2.3.4 update from ATT, which was System update 4.5.91. So far runs very smooth, video chat on Google Talk seems to be there, also non-Market apps are now allowed thru the settings. Don't know where to check for unlocked bootloader tho, also I don't think it allows of mirroring thru the HDMI. maybe someone can chime on on a way to check those options.

Cootie

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Got the official 2.3.4 update from ATT, which was System update 4.5.91. So far runs very smooth, video chat on Google Talk seems to be there, also non-Market apps are now allowed thru the settings. Don't know where to check for unlocked bootloader tho, also I don't think it allows of mirroring thru the HDMI. maybe someone can chime on on a way to check those options.

Not the beta? Is it out of beta now?

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm a lucky soak tester and I just updated to the official 2.3.4 and I'm totally loving it. My device feels like a completely different Atrix. I find the UI smooth and I'm loving the blue theme. There are so many new features that this update offers, the two nice ones IMO are the zoom feature on the camera and the newly redesigned photo gallery. Ive been using it for a day and I really have not come across any bugs. I used to have random reboots and had battery heating issues and this doesn't seem to be present anymore. Battery life seems to be somewhat improved, web pages seem to load faster and overall the device feels more zippy. I'm also loving the animated screen transitions. Motoblur is at a minimum and hardly noticeable unlike the previous release where it was smack dab in your face.

With the ability to load third party apps I really don't feel the need to root at the moment but that can change anytime.

One thing I would have loved to see is the ability to toggle to EDGE only to save on battery life. Oh well I guess we can't have it all ;)

S197GT

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
downloading official update on wifi now. i am NOT a beta tester; i have just been checking for OTA updates.

update:

just watched the video on "what's new". don't know if i like the bar at the top as much. some of the widgets and icons don't look as nice to me. kind of generic or less... "modern"?

one thing i noticed is that it scrolls horizontally through e-mails a LOT better! very smooth. i pretty much never scrolled horizontally before because it was a pain but now it is extremely fluid.

the ability to clear certain notifications on the notification bar is nice, but was never really bothered me before.

scrolling in the internet browser is very smooth.

had been using swype but i really like the stock keyboard. i am a decent typer and it keeps up well and love the spacing of the buttons.

never noticed much lag before but everything is just very smooth and quick to respond.

Last edited:

ghridr

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
It seems that you still aren't allowed to have MS Exchange contact pictures. Well at least mine aren't showing up.

Built in side loading is nice though.

Timelessblur

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
well it is pretty cool. Messed up some of my linked contact so I had to go back threw those and fix them.

That and lost root access which for the most part is not a huge deal but still would like it back.

attweco

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Download and installation process was uneventful.

MANY settings have been reset to defaults, which will require time to re-visit and re-set.

Sorry, but I don't find any of the "improvements" particularly compelling.

WORST thing is what happened to the radio: Before this "upgrade", I had a rock solid and strong signal. Prolly the best feature of the phone. Now, it's as though I'm out in some remote area. In spite of a strong 3G signal still being present, the post-upgrade radio is weak and the wireless connection easily disappears. I am unable to maintain a continuous wireless connection for more than a few minutes at a time. The only means I have figured to re-establish a connection is to go into Airplane Mode and then switch back to wireless. A few minutes later, the signal disappears again. At this point, my phone is useless, unless I am on WIFi.

I've been willing to put up with the various foibles and defects of my Atrix(especially the "muffled voice" defect). But this is the end of the road for me. The Nexus S for ATT bands arrives at Best Buy on July 24, and that will be my ticket out of POS Motorola Atrix hell.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I posted this in another thread but i think i should really do this here,
well the phone works fine with stock .83 froyo, but i cant update it with gongerbread. it doesn't get recognized by motorola Software Update application (says "phone is not connected" no matter what i try and yes all drivers installed) and RSDLite and it ends up with triangle"!" no matter how many times i try the OTA or manual from SD card... I did factory reset 3 times, but it always ends up with "software update error" any suggestions?
i'm gonna have to call Moto tomorrow, I really don't want to exchange the phone, I hope they'll have a solution...

Edit:
Its just gave me the triangle again so touched the display with my finger and it gave me a buch of statistics but what important is it says: error in /cache/Blur_ver4.1.83 and so on... what does thwt suppose to mean? it also had an option to clean the cache which i did and rebooted the phone but again, it gave me a triangle"!".....

Last edited:

different2une

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I just downloaded and installed the official update and my app drawer is missing ... there's an app drawer like icon but all it does is open the 'recent' apps (the screen you get when you hold down the home button). Anyone know how I can get to my app drawer and my apps? :(

different2une

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I just downloaded and installed the official update and my app drawer is missing ... there's an app drawer like icon but all it does is open the 'recent' apps (the screen you get when you hold down the home button). Anyone know how I can get to my app drawer and my apps? :(
Never mind, I found it.

It's the same icon (the app drawer like icon that i mentioned) and it's set to show recent apps by default. You can configure it to show recent apps, all apps, at&t apps or downloaded apps by clicking on the tiny drop-down arrow (do not hold down that arrow or it'll show you different options).

Setesh

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed that birthdays in my contacts display incorrectly. For example, January 21, 1981 would display 1981-0-20. Anyone else having that issue?

Ancike

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
My contact's birthdays are doing that as well. Other than that (which really isn't a problem for me), Gingerbread works great and I have no issues.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Enid