Backorder Thread (Nov 20th and onwards)

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
In general, I don't think Google has done a bad job here. There is room for improvement but I am quite happy with how Google has handled my order. I had work to do at the very moment the Nexus 4 went on sale so I tried to order a little early. It didn't work for me although I see others were able to get there orders in early. After I finished my paid job, I went back and looked and the Nexus 4 screen had gone back to the "Coming Soon" message and most websites were saying they were Sold Out. I gave up but went back a few hours later to see if I could determine when more stock would be available. I saw several messages saying that if you hit refresh a few times on the "Coming Soon" page you might be able to get one in your cart and purchase it. I tried it and was able to order a phone. I understood that just because I was able to get it in my cart didn't mean it was actually available. To me, it smelled of server glitch.

I got a backorder email a couple of days later that said my phone should be delivered "within three weeks." I'd love to have my phone now but it didn't happen. I can patiently wait 3 weeks. Until the 3 weeks have passed, I feel no need to call Google CSR's or demand an "official" response from Google. The communications I have received are clear and to the point -- you can expect your phone "within three weeks".

Google could have enabled pre-orders to alleviate some of the problems and there servers could have handled the load better. Some might be upset that Google let them order the phone when they clearly had already sold out but I am not one of them. I'm glad I got my order in even if it was a server glitch. I am essentially on a wait list now which is much better than where I would be if they had actually stopped orders when they sold out. If you don't want to be on the wait list they have made it really easy to cancel.

I don't expect orders to ship in "the order they were received". Although that would be the absolute fairest way to ship the phones it is most certainly not the most logistically simple way to ship a very large amount of merchandise. A cross between "fair" and "logisitical" is probably the best way and the way I suspect Google is shipping them.

I have heard a few stories from people who have a decent reason to be a little upset with how Google has handled their order.

But most of what I am hearing on these message boards are people just being impatient and not wanting to accept that they can't have it right now. It feels like a room full of three olds throwing a tantrum in the candy aisle.

Kiss my dick. Google has BEYOND ****ed this up.

KwietStorm

May 14, 2010
Visit site
In general, I don't think Google has done a bad job here. There is room for improvement but I am quite happy with how Google has handled my order. I had work to do at the very moment the Nexus 4 went on sale so I tried to order a little early. It didn't work for me although I see others were able to get there orders in early. After I finished my paid job, I went back and looked and the Nexus 4 screen had gone back to the "Coming Soon" message and most websites were saying they were Sold Out. I gave up but went back a few hours later to see if I could determine when more stock would be available. I saw several messages saying that if you hit refresh a few times on the "Coming Soon" page you might be able to get one in your cart and purchase it. I tried it and was able to order a phone. I understood that just because I was able to get it in my cart didn't mean it was actually available. To me, it smelled of server glitch.

I got a backorder email a couple of days later that said my phone should be delivered "within three weeks." I'd love to have my phone now but it didn't happen. I can patiently wait 3 weeks. Until the 3 weeks have passed, I feel no need to call Google CSR's or demand an "official" response from Google. The communications I have received are clear and to the point -- you can expect your phone "within three weeks".

Google could have enabled pre-orders to alleviate some of the problems and there servers could have handled the load better. Some might be upset that Google let them order the phone when they clearly had already sold out but I am not one of them. I'm glad I got my order in even if it was a server glitch. I am essentially on a wait list now which is much better than where I would be if they had actually stopped orders when they sold out. If you don't want to be on the wait list they have made it really easy to cancel.

I don't expect orders to ship in "the order they were received". Although that would be the absolute fairest way to ship the phones it is most certainly not the most logistically simple way to ship a very large amount of merchandise. A cross between "fair" and "logisitical" is probably the best way and the way I suspect Google is shipping them.

I have heard a few stories from people who have a decent reason to be a little upset with how Google has handled their order.

But most of what I am hearing on these message boards are people just being impatient and not wanting to accept that they can't have it right now. It feels like a room full of three olds throwing a tantrum in the candy aisle.

Regardless of who or how many people are being childish, there is zero Google did to be proactive for this situation, and we haven't seen so much as an olive branch to rectify it. Its beyond my comprehension how anyone can say they haven't done a bad job, generally or specifically. People's reactions after the fact, don't magically alleviate Google of any fochery.

harrycarry250

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Kiss my dick. Google has BEYOND ****ed this up.

Calm down man. T's just a phone and just because you need to wait 3 weeks for the device does not mean you need to flame all over the place. Look, if you get your phone within the allocated time frame then be happy you were even able to place an order. If it does not come then call Google and express your opinion. Not that they will do anything.
Peace brotha

Sorkzilla

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say he is flaming, more of just actively expressing himself, and honestly as you yourself say, Google isn't going to do anything if you call and complain to them, so what else is a man left to do, except express himself to a community who is actively interested in the same topic and may be able to understand where the man is coming from. I personally don't do much of my whining and complaining online, but if you ask the people in my dorm they will all tell you I am thoroughly peeved at the situation as well, although I don't recall asking anyone to kiss my.... never mind.

vjd1

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Three weeks = December 6th.
21 business days = December 14th.
Let's see which one they decide to stick us with.

If they are considering Dec-6 (which i am hoping for).... they still have 9 more business days to ship the device..... which means we will have this in our hands around 10-Dec...... long wait ahead... can't do much but to wait :confused:

HalcyonDaze

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure it's business days since they are a business and that's what they use for shipping.

Yes, but the email said 3 weeks, not 21 business days. There should be such a thing as a "business week," which would be 5 days/business week, which should put us at the earlier date.

Of course, there were a lot of "shoulds" in this whole thing that actually weren't...

cynicist

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
In general, I don't think Google has done a bad job here. There is room for improvement but I am quite happy with how Google has handled my order....

Maybe they communicated well enough for those who are still on the backorder list but the rest of us who didn't have a chance to order have no idea when they will restock. It could be at the same time as previous orders are filled or it could be a month later. I think that being in the dark on product availability two weeks after a launch qualifies this as a bad job. I'll continue to wait because the Nexus 4 is the best phone for my needs at the moment, but if the international HTC Deluxe DLX is out before they restock I will definitely reconsider.

mattatwar1

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Backorder, Its been about 2 weeks

Anyone have any idea when they are going to ship?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

DarenTx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Regardless of who or how many people are being childish, there is zero Google did to be proactive for this situation, and we haven't seen so much as an olive branch to rectify it. Its beyond my comprehension how anyone can say they haven't done a bad job, generally or specifically. People's reactions after the fact, don't magically alleviate Google of any fochery.

I disagree. Google sent an email to anyone who was backordered and set appropriate expectations and explained they would be given free shipping. Free shipping is an olive branch isn't it?

The "situation" is you ordered a phone and you are on a wait list. If you don't want to be on a wait list then cancel. Otherwise, wait patiently until the 3 weeks are up. I come to this boards to see if anyone's backordered phone has shipped yet. But instead its just a bunch of whining.

Sorkzilla

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Well just tried calling a CSR for the first time, just as useless as everyone says, but has anyone received any shipping emails in the last day or two? Or anyone have a nexus should up without ever receiving any email lately?

KwietStorm

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I disagree. Google sent an email to anyone who was backordered and set appropriate expectations and explained they would be given free shipping. Free shipping is an olive branch isn't it?

The "situation" is you ordered a phone and you are on a wait list. If you don't want to be on a wait list then cancel. Otherwise, wait patiently until the 3 weeks are up. I come to this boards to see if anyone's backordered phone has shipped yet. But instead its just a bunch of whining.

Like I said, the reactions of the people, justified or not, does not alleviate Google of their screw up. Nobody with any bit of logic can sit here and say things have gone smoothly, even before the uproar. The actual SALE of the phone is the foundation of everything happening right now, including the "whining." As I said, if this product was a big enough deal to set up an entire event in NYC, but you don't have enough stock to last longer than 5 minutes, or even enough wherewithal to handle people placing orders, THEN SOMETHING IS WRONG. I've seen people sort of defend them, talking up the lack of experience for Google with direct hardware sales. Well guess what, the consumer market isn't new. They have brilliant people employed, and they have billions of dollars. Simply now knowing how it works is not an excuse. They knew this device was coming months and months ago. You hire and put the right people and infrastructures into place beforehand when venturing into new frontiers. You don't just wing it and then tell your customers oh sorry about that whole thing with the phones, we thought our 100 units would suffice, then go quiet for days, weeks. Some Even talked up the false hype machine. Well that's clearly out the window at this point. Even if that were true to begin with, its turned into bad PR at this point, and while I'm not one of the drama queens drawing a line in the sand and cutting all ties with everything Google, I'm not going to sit here deaf, dumb & blind and just give them a pass either. They messed up what is supposed to be the flagship representation of literally having Google in your hand. Its just a fact.

RickyThunell

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Just received this email :

Your Nexus 4 order is scheduled to ship this week. We?ll send you a notification, including tracking information, when it?s on the way.

Please note that your order will be charged in full when it ships. As a courtesy and to thank you for your patience, you?ll then receive a credit for the shipping charge within 7 business days.

Thanks again,

The Google Play Team

? 2012 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

You've received this mandatory service announcement email to provide you with important information related to your purchase from Google Play.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

KwietStorm

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Ironically enough, I just received an email from Google stating that my phone is shipping this week, and to wait for a second notification email. Still won't exhale until it's in my hands, unscathed.

fam617

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Just received a similar msg....again, I bought a 16GB model at 3:15pm and then another at 6:05pm EST from Massachusetts. Got one email - just like I got one backorder email. Haven't been charged yet for either.
-----------------------------------
Your Nexus 4 order is scheduled to ship this week. We?ll send you a notification, including tracking information, when it?s on the way.

Please note that your order will be charged in full when it ships. As a courtesy and to thank you for your patience, you?ll then receive a credit for the shipping charge within 7 business days.

Thanks again,

The Google Play Team

Sorkzilla

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Just got my email as well. Really hope its legit since everyone e seems to be getting it. Which makes me wonder...if they can handle the massive number of back orders internationally all at once, why was there ever a problem???? Oh well, I'm not getting excited to I'm booting mine up.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dennis Anderson Julien