battery draining at 20% an hour with minimal use.

Droid3r

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
my emails and facebook syncing is set to OFF.
display is timeout=30 secs
lowest display brightness.
no apps running in background and constantly refresh the RAM.

everytime i refresh the ram it closes 8 applications. is that normal.

i live in nyc and i get 4g all day and i tried going 3G to save some battery and it basically didnt help.

any tips you guys may have is extremely appreciated. i still have one week before my 14 days trial runs out.

neemo6

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I was at wits end with this phone and was about to sell this phone to a friend and go on to something else. I mean i loved this phone but battery life was just horribly unbearable. I was luck to get more than 8hrs of light use (1 10minute phone call, couple of texts, and reading emails here and there thats it). I tried about everything that has already been said to try. Turned off Background data sync, and animations off. Helped a little bit but nothing really noticeable. Then I just installed ATK as a hail mary attempt to see if it helped. I put the setting to automatic kill to insane or whatever the name of the highest setting is. Lo and Behold phone is lasting a hell of alot longer now. Yesterday phone was unplugged for 19hrs and still had 20% battery left. I never beleived in task killers and had always told people that they really dont do make a difference as I had tried them before on my Droid1. But the Charge absolutely loves it. I unplug the phone at 645 am m-f , and by lunch 1130am i would be at around 40-50% now im at around 80-90%. My phone with no use was still just draining battery and I had no idea why. Advanced Task Killer with background sync off has saved my phone!!!!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
my emails and facebook syncing is set to OFF.
display is timeout=30 secs
lowest display brightness.
no apps running in background and constantly refresh the RAM.

everytime i refresh the ram it closes 8 applications. is that normal.

i live in nyc and i get 4g all day and i tried going 3G to save some battery and it basically didnt help.

any tips you guys may have is extremely appreciated. i still have one week before my 14 days trial runs out.

I'm not really familiar with this device but it sounds like your doing everything possible to keep battery consumption down to the minimum. You will always have a few apps running in the background from the Android OS itself.

Probably the next best thing you could do is try something like Juice Defender app and see if that helps get things under control a bit more.

If your phone is running 4g that will consume battery very quickly, try running 3g when possible for better battery and if your device is often searching for a signal to stay connected to 4g or 3g (pay attention to your signal strength meter, is it up and down on signal all the time) then that is also putting a draw on your battery.

A lot comes down to trial and error to get the best battery you can out of your device and with these newer devices now as much as they try to give you a solid days battery life out of them it just doesn't happen in the real world situation.

Next option would be custom ROMs and/or flashing a custom kernel that is built for better battery life.

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I have been fighting this too. I reset my battery stats and got 10 hrs of usage. I would consider it light as I took a couple of calls, maybe check AC or XDA and refreshed tweetdeck. I have yahoo that checks every 30 minutes and gmail and exchange(work) push all day. Turned off Facebook and tweetdeck auto refreshes.
Next day after getting 10 hrs, I get 6. Then recharge to 75% and still can't make it to the end of the day. Phone is getting warm too. After the 6 hr drain, I check battery usage and my screen is 51%. I had the screen off pretty much all day. No calls, little emails and no browsing. Signal strength would have been week which usually causes a faster burning battery but this was crazy.

I might go ahead and try Juice defender. I had read it did not work right with the charge and caused data to not connect even worse than it already does. I get 4G in my work area but I am missing my fascinate lately.

droidbio

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I mentioned this in another post but juice defender plus has improved battery life from 5-10 hours.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I have had days or certain times during some days that the battery drops like a rock. Other days it lasts all day with no problem. I haven't installed new apps in a while. My email is set to push. FB updates every 3 hours. I use no animations, but keep the brightness at about 60% all the time. I travel for work and am in and out of buildings and in different areas. Long story short is that I think battery life has a lot to do with signal strength. If strength is marginal or weak the battery gets depleted very quickly, regardless of use. When I am at home in my office the battery lasts a very long time. Usually from 7a - 10p.

My suggestion is if you work in an office or a place with weak signal get the desktop charger and keep the phone in the charger whenever possible. I realize this is not a great suggestion or a real solution, but it is the reality of this phone. I noticed similar battery life with my iPhone 3GS. Whenever I am in the car I keep my phone plugged in. At home with good signal I don't have to keep it on the charger. Just my observations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

diemandave#AC

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
Try going into running applications, my sns.something was always trying to restart. I kill that every time I do a restart and battery life has been a lot better. I also got rid of go launcher.

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
ADVANCED TASK KILLER, that is all.

actually... you couldn't be more way off...

ATK will actually drain more battery than it saves. By manually "killing" cpu processes with ATK, all you are doing is causing the andriod system to use its resources to reopen them (because that is what the system is designed to do).

Processes running in the background are designed to do so for the fact that it will take LESS resources (RAM, battery, etc.) to use them when needed. Android does a great job of "self monitoring" its running processes. By using ATK, all you are doing is throwing a wrench in that system and are actually doing more harm then good.

Battery life is fickel... there is never going to be a "real" solution to increasing life... sometimes its great, sometimes its not. Smart phone users need to get over the fact that battery life will never reach their expectations.... ever.

Billy Adequate

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I was experiencing the same thing, supremely frustrating, and through trial and error have found something that basically doubled my battery life:

Turn off wi-fi.

I have no idea how/why this works, but with no other changes I've gone from losing 60+% battery life overnight while the phone was just sitting unplugged but idle, to only losing about 10%. It also seems to help during the day, definitely get a full 8-10 hours of normal use out of the phone, vs previously having to plug it in after only 5-6 hours. I'm fortunate to be in the Chicago area, pretty saturated with 4G coverage, so wi-fi antenna can basically be considered a vestigial organ on this beast.

Back to being a semi-happy Droid Charge owner, will achieve full happiness when I get around to rooting and optimizing.

dslayton

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I actually thought the same thing about task killers. That is until I tried Auto Killer Memory optimizer. I immediately saw my phone become much more responsive (on average about 100mb of ram free at all times), plus since I spent less time hunting down stuck apps and checking my battery life, my usage time increased.

Long story short. I don't think that the Froyo task killer is that efficient. I believe that this switch apparently has prolonged my daily battery life from 6 hours to about 11. On very light usage days I can go up to 18hrs without getting close to needing a charge.

I suggest you give it a try. If you don't like the results simply uninstall it. Plus it sound like you may have a rouge app draining your battery. If you are not afraid, hard reset your phone back to factory and install your apps one at a time giving a few hours in between to notice a marked battery life change. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
the thing about battery life also is that, realistically... NO ONE needs there battery to last them more than 10 hours or so. When is the last time you had your phone for more than 10 hours and not been able to be near a charger.... probably never.

Some people just like to "brag" how long their battery lasts.... and to each their own. But when it comes down to it, just use your charger.... plain and simple

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't get it. I am a heavy user and I easily get 8+ hours out of a full battery. I have wifi off and that is about it.... I must got the lucky battery. I am rooted running either humble or gummy and did the battery calibration

Charged up post!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Wi Fi is a huge draw on any device just like 4g. When running WIFI you device is working double time, its still running the 3g radio in the background to send/receive calls and also the WIFI so your battery is taking a big hit.

Best thing to do is run with WIFI off when not in use and if your rooted, choose a custom ROM/kernel that is set for best possible battery (undervolting) if possible.

zachnelson

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Wi Fi is a huge draw on any device just like 4g. When running WIFI you device is working double time, its still running the 3g radio in the background to send/receive calls and also the WIFI so your battery is taking a big hit.

Best thing to do is run with WIFI off when not in use and if your rooted, choose a custom ROM/kernel that is set for best possible battery (undervolting) if possible.

Calls are not served over the data connection. In some phones they use the same radio as 3G, however if you have the mobile network set to be off there should be a noticeable difference to having it on.

neemo6

May 31, 2011
Visit site
actually... you couldn't be more way off...

ATK will actually drain more battery than it saves. By manually "killing" cpu processes with ATK, all you are doing is causing the andriod system to use its resources to reopen them (because that is what the system is designed to do).

Processes running in the background are designed to do so for the fact that it will take LESS resources (RAM, battery, etc.) to use them when needed. Android does a great job of "self monitoring" its running processes. By using ATK, all you are doing is throwing a wrench in that system and are actually doing more harm then good.

Battery life is fickel... there is never going to be a "real" solution to increasing life... sometimes its great, sometimes its not. Smart phone users need to get over the fact that battery life will never reach their expectations.... ever.

Do you or have you actually tried to use ATK on the Charge? Or are you just repeating the gospel of the "you dont need task killers" rhetoric? I for one unistalled it on my Droid1 and DroidX as you said drained battery life, now on my Charge this thing has double my battery life! I speak from experience, give it a shot. Dont like it simply uninstall.

delco714

May 9, 2011
Visit site
My phone had been on for 9 hr and has 67% left. I use emails lots of texts and some calls. I use med scape and epocrates a lot too as well as these forums. I turn 4g on only went I need it. If ink home I keep wifi on. I'll get 19hr easy. More than enough.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I can get more than 20 hrs of basic use by turning off all location services & the background data until I use something that asks for it. I'm in a 3g only area, no ATK & keep all social apps set to refresh only when opened. Works for me anyway. Running these services all the time cuts the available use in half. Just try it once & see if you can get use to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treoluv