Battery draining at an alarming rate....

Canephins

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Phone was working great for several weeks with no issues. I was able to go roughly 15 hours without charging it, if not more, and that was with moderate to heavy use.

Last weekend I went out of town and had no service. Phone was searching for a signal all weekend and the battery was draining fast.

Now I am back home, with fill 4G LTE service, and my phone is at 47% with me hardly even using it today. Literally I might have used to the phone for 2 phone calls of less than a min and maybe the internet for less than a min.

Here is a screenshot of what is running and what is being consumed right now:

Screenshot_2012-09-04-14-17-28.png

What would cause the Android System to be at 79%? It was at 83%.

Screenshot_2012-09-04-14-22-46.png

tony477g

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Same with me. I have my brightness down and everything. Today i sent about 7 texts and by 9 am I was about at 80% 2 hours just being on?

lou1210

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. I have installed quite a bit of programs though. I usually disable GPS and data until I need them. This way programs aren't accessing the network. I try to use Advanced Task Killer but it doesn't seem to help much. I've been debating rooting the phone, since there is a bootloader unlock now. I'm just not sure what I'm going to do with it once I root. There seems to be no good stable JB ROMs out at the moment.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Had similar battery drain myself. I have noticed my GS3 gets very warm when this happens, even the screen gets very warm, even though it was off.

What seems to work is to restart the phone, which clears everything out of memory and resets everything. Unfortunately, I've had to do this almost daily.

drews66

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Have you had any app updates recently. I use 1weather and there most recent update would cause my verizon GS3 to stay awake constantly. I had to uninstall and contact the developer.

New2GalaxyIII

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Same here, and I returned the phone and they sent me a new one (battery included). Appears to be a bit better now. But, today I noticed backup-assistant running like mad, 80% battery already with only being up about 1 hour. Advanced Task Killer/Manager appears to have no impact on actually 'killing' an app.

Anyone know how to formally remove backup-assistant? I assume google has my contacts backed up. i don't want to back anything else up but contacts.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
The issue is that whenever you are in an area that has extremely poor service, your battery will drain like crazy. One thing that I found to counter this without having to reboot or do anything of sorts is download an app called Phone Info from the play store. Once you get the app, run it and go to Device Information. Scroll down and there will be a drop down box to select radio network. Switch it to CDMA auto (PRL), wait a minute for the radios to cycle (this will disable 4G). If you want to keep 4G disabled, your good to go and try this out. If you want to reenable your 4G, just switch the radios back to LTE/CMDA/EvDo.

Reactions: Funkpod and zr2s10

Canephins

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I use 1weather as well, but I haven't had any issues with it. I did just do the latest update 2 days ago...so maybe that had something to do with it.

drews66

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I use 1weather as well, but I haven't had any issues with it. I did just do the latest update 2 days ago...so maybe that had something to do with it.

Uninstall the app and I bet your awake time will stop being so high causing your battery drain. The fix should be coming shortly from the developer.

I had these exact symptoms and tested it a few times / install problem came back / uninstall went away.

Reactions: Canephins

marlin29311

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Had this same issue - what fixed the problem for me was doing a battery pull, and then going on to gTalk, signing out, and then signing back in. Read about this over on XDA - not sure why this works, but it did.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
i am SOO glad you are posting this!

i have the same problem. my phone was AWESOME for like a few weeks, and then lately, i need to charge it all the time! i am on 4g for most of the day, and my phone will be down to like 30-40% from 8am-3pm, basically. 7 hours.

and then, i will charge it when i get home, and it'll give me some more juice, but then it will die again and i will have to charge it before the evening's over!

i took out Lite Flow and Chrome, 2 supposedly offenders.

i will now take out 1weather.

let's see what happens.

question,

1. are you guys on wifi?
2. how long does your phone last on ONLY 4g?
3. should my wifi settings be at Never use wifi during sleep, or not?

thanks!

greyhd

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Download gsam(formerly bad ass battery stats) and you can monitor which app is waking your device.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

drews66

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site

i have the same problem. my phone was AWESOME for like a few weeks, and then lately, i need to charge it all the time! i am on 4g for most of the day, and my phone will be down to like 30-40% from 8am-3pm, basically. 7 hours.

and then, i will charge it when i get home, and it'll give me some more juice, but then it will die again and i will have to charge it before the evening's over!

let's see what happens.

question,

1. are you guys on wifi?

thanks!

1Weather was def the culprit for me. I am currently testing a build that is supposed to fix the issue so we should hopefully if all goes well have the new build in the play store soon. Awesome weather app and support team.

Reactions: Funkpod

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Granted, I'm coming from a Thunderbolt, but I've been very happy with my battery life so far...(knocks on wood).

Phone was working great for several weeks with no issues. I was able to go roughly 15 hours without charging it, if not more, and that was with moderate to heavy use.

Last weekend I went out of town and had no service. Phone was searching for a signal all weekend and the battery was draining fast.

Now I am back home, with fill 4G LTE service, and my phone is at 47% with me hardly even using it today. Literally I might have used to the phone for 2 phone calls of less than a min and maybe the internet for less than a min.

Just a tip: every Android device I've ever owned seems to "go rogue" every now and then. It's definitely gotten better with each OS upgrade, but it still happens from time to time. First thing I suggest if you notice a sudden, unexpected drop in battery is to reboot the device. That way you know you've reset any app or service that's gone haywire.

Same here, and I returned the phone and they sent me a new one (battery included). Appears to be a bit better now. But, today I noticed backup-assistant running like mad, 80% battery already with only being up about 1 hour. Advanced Task Killer/Manager appears to have no impact on actually 'killing' an app.

Anyone know how to formally remove backup-assistant? I assume google has my contacts backed up. i don't want to back anything else up but contacts.

I've heard a few arguments otherwise, but the majority of folks around here will tell you that using task killers/managers only do more harm that good (at least since Android 2.2). At one time a necessity, but you really don't need it anymore...and you may actually be using more power if your device is constantly restarting services the ATK is shutting down.

Regarding Backup Assistant, it is a huge waste of space. As long as your Google account is setup to sync contacts (which is by default), you're good to go. You should be able to disable it via device settings, as well as check your contact sync settings.

let's see what happens.

I have Chrome installed, but haven't noticed any battery drain from it...to be honest though, don't really use it (prefer stock browser).

I did try out light flow about a week ago, and I can confirm that it destroyed my battery life. Only took 2 days to figure out it was the culprit and uninstall it, battery life immedately improved. One funny thing though, even though I removed light flow and most of the LED settings reverted to normal, the custom colors I set for certain notifications are still changed(?!?) Oh, well, that's fine with me.

Also have never used 1weather.

question,

1. are you guys on wifi?

thanks!

1. I'm on both wifi and 4G throughout the day. Battery life is better on wifi, but 4G isn't too bad, especially compared to my old Thunderbolt

2. I don't think I've run a full day on 4G only, but I generally lose about 4-6%/hour on 4G, under normal "occasional use" situations.

3. I'd keep it set at "ALWAYS", not "Never". Otherwise your phone is switching back to mobile data during standby, and I'd suspect battery life is actually worse.

Reactions: Funkpod

LordAndroid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
This is from my 2 day old S3. The "cell standby" is killing the battery. Any ideas??

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

drews66

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
This is from my 2 day old S3. The "cell standby" is killing the battery. Any ideas??

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Cell Standby is a known bug it exagerates what it acutal uses. It isnt draining the battry just displaying it wrong. Battery life should get better after a few days.

What is you screen time on? Time wise