Battery life

ddavis1408

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
What is your battery life. How much do you have at the end of each day? Mine is only a few days old but I'm at 30-40 percent at the end of the day connected thru bt. I have a verizon watch. Seems kinda low. People claim 2-3 days on theirs.

Posted via the Android Central App

MPSmith1

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
What is your battery life. How much do you have at the end of each day? Mine is only a few days old but I'm at 30-40 percent at the end of the day connected thru bt. I have a verizon watch. Seems kinda low. People claim 2-3 days on theirs.

Exactly the same for me.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
A few things that can use battery when the watch is idle are Wi-Fi being on, data connection being set to on all the time, and some aftermarket watch faces . If you're frequently in and out of Bluetooth range with your phone can also cause more battery usage. Using the built in music player can be a battery hog as well. If you're in range of your phone it's much more battery friendly to use the watch to control the music player on your phone vs using the watch's. Location is going to use more battery during exercise sessions that are trying to map your route even if you are using the GPS on your phone. Using the heart rate monitor during exercise sessions is also going to use more battery.
I typically get about 3 days between charges unless I use the standalone music player or Wi-Fi, then it can be as little as half a day, especially the music player over Bluetooth for a few hours. That's a quick battery killer for me.
Hope that helps.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

InfamousUnknown

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Color watch faces use more power than black and white ones. GPS and HR monitoring use a considerable amount of power. If you go for a run using the watch to track it some have had issues with GPS not turning off after the run and draining the power.

ddavis1408

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
That's crazy I do not use any of that and I just use a standard watch face and I can get about 3/4 of a day before I need to charge. Should I call someone??

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
A few things that can use battery when the watch is idle are Wi-Fi being on, data connection being set to on all the time, and some aftermarket watch faces . If you're frequently in and out of Bluetooth range with your phone can also cause more battery usage. Using the built in music player can be a battery hog as well. If you're in range of your phone it's much more battery friendly to use the watch to control the music player on your phone vs using the watch's. Location is going to use more battery during exercise sessions that are trying to map your route even if you are using the GPS on your phone. Using the heart rate monitor during exercise sessions is also going to use more battery.
I typically get about 3 days between charges unless I use the standalone music player or Wi-Fi, then it can be as little as half a day, especially the music player over Bluetooth for a few hours. That's a quick battery killer for me.
Hope that helps.

Support Our Troops !!!
<
Beast Mode 4
Great suggestions, but I wish that Samsung would have created a removable back for a replaceable battery as they did for all their flagship phones minus their S6 and S6E. It just sucks that we can't enjoy all the great features the Gear S has to offer, continously. Hopefully the Gear "Orbit" will have a removable back. I have 2 spare batteries for my Note 4, and I am never impeded by consuming too much power, and I go all out with the many features it has to offer. IMO, any standalone smart watches should have a replaceable battery feature until longer lasting battery technology catches up.

Add: I spend 1.5 hours at the gym 3x/wk, and 30 mins daily walking my dog, using the watch music player, leaving my Note 4 behind. It sucks that when I am done, the watch is down to 20%. If the battery does not hold, it doesn't matter how amazing the watch is.

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Did you know the oem charger base has a battery in it? It's not enough juice to fill the watch but it is enough to add 50%. Though cumbersome you can wear the watch with the base attached or when you're not using it for a bit just pop the base on and let it charge that way while it sits at a desk or something. It ain't perfect but it's better than what anyone else offers and should get you easily through the day.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

RC_Cola

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem in the morning when I go jogging. I jog from 50 minutes to an hour. I have the following turned on :S-Health running, GPS, Milk, and Bluetooth to my headset. When I get home from my jog, the battery is down to 36% - 41% range. So I charge my watch for about an hour and watch battery charge will be from 90% - 100% range. Today was a heavy email receiving and texting receiving day and the watch shut down around 10:55 PM CDT. I did received the 15% warning around 9:30 PM.

Yesterday, I went to the Samsung repair center, they replaced the battery and reflashed my watch. It made no difference.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem in the morning when I go jogging. I jog from 50 minutes to an hour. I have the following turned on :S-Health running, GPS, Milk, and Bluetooth to my headset. When I get home from my jog, the battery is down to 36% - 41% range. So I charge my watch for about an hour and watch battery charge will be from 90% - 100% range. Today was a heavy email receiving and texting receiving day and the watch shut down around 10:55 PM CDT. I did received the 15% warning around 9:30 PM.

Yesterday, I went to the Samsung repair center, they replaced the battery and reflashed my watch. It made no difference.
Sadly, my battery experience is pretty similar to yours.

InfamousUnknown

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
There is no doubt that the GPS services drain the battery much faster than office / alert use. I think the heart rate monitor might be a battery hog as well, so it might depend on how often you sample the heart rate.

The Gear S is a great watch, but it in no way replaces my Garmin. Garmin is also starting to add some alert features to there newer watches, but they are not up to the level of the Gear S. ... Plus they don't have a cell feature. I often take both watches when I'm on long bike rides for 2 different purposes.

I do use SHealth on the tread mill since I don't have a foot pod for the Garmin anyway, I don't notice significant battery drain there.

In the next couple of iterations of both sports watches, and smart watches I think the line will become quite fuzzy, but at this point if you want to do serious sports tracking I recommend a sports specific watch (Garmin, Polar, Mio, Timex, etc).

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site

That's asking a lot from a watch with such a small battery. Heck for that matter, that's a lot to ask any device with such a small battery to accomplish . You're talking 4 radios (gsm, 3g, Bluetooth, GPS) going along with the cpu for S Health and 2 sensors (motion and heart rate) .
That's pretty impressive that your watch lasts that long during a "normal" day for you.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'm just accepting that I'm going to have to charge this sucker every day. I might get a second charger and just use that at work.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
If your vehicle is safe and outside at work might I suggest a solar charger to recharge the oem battery built into the charger? It works like a charm for me. I got a 9 watt/2 volt one for $30 on Amazon and it charges my phone, watch, watch battery, etc very well. It'll even charge my Tab if I leave it off while charging. I use it mostly for charging my portable batteries beyond the one that came with the watch.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
My average use is lasting me three days when connected through bluetooth. I cancelled my T-Mobile service few months back. I use S Health more than anything else. My phone is a Note Edge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katiebaby3110