Battery life

IBMJunkman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
My S5 is 32 months old. I have a general feeling that I don't get the same usage time out of a charge as I used to. Is it time for a new battery? Been 6 hours since full charge and battery is at 65%. No calls, no internet usage. Just laying on desk with wifi on. Received some mail and messages.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

You might have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like GSam Battery Monitor, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.

IBMJunkman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Well, installed GSam. Do not see anything that looks like it would have drained the batt so fast last week. Granted, over the weekend there is low activity on my part. Will keep GSam installed and running this week.

IMG_0953.jpg
IMG_0954.jpg
IMG_0955.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
3 days without charging is pretty darned good, even if you're not waking the phone up much. What's the screen-on time for that series of screenshots? Also, tap the Cell Standby listing -- does it mention any Time Without Signal?

I'd also be interested in seeing the GSam graph that superimposes the cell signal strength on top of the battery level. Weak signal can contribute to battery drain, and doesn't necessarily show up as Time Without Signal (which represents zero signal).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, that's not the graph I was looking for. That's the battery temp vs battery level. Look for the cell signal strength vs battery level graph. (I'm not sure why it's showing that graph when you have Phone Signal selected -- look at the other options as well.)

IBMJunkman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
OK, try this one. I am taking a road trip Wednesday. I will be fully charged and using google maps on the phone. In the car I will be using a cig lighter USB power unit.

IMG_0958.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Decent phone signal, but not stellar. I'd still say the battery life you're reporting isn't that unusual. But if you're not completely satisfied, it wouldn't hurt to get another battery to compare (and it's always handy to have it as a spare).